PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gross

Only a half billion or so.

Ah yes, the man who introduced the middle finger to China. Oh wait, that's me.

Look what you've done. You,,,,,THREAD HIJACKER :singing:

so, really, a half billion little china girls?? :eek: im checking yahoo travel right now :D

And you were in the nicest part of the country...

China will make you feel amazed with marvel and then incredibly annoyed and then back again... all within 5 minutes. I often find it exhausting to be here. Resiliency is necessary, not optional, to be an ex-pat here.
I found the eating and personal hygiene habits intolerable Patjew. That in itself was intolerable enough.

That said, the shuffleboard games became an epic fixture everyday.

Last edited:
Don't make me get my friend to kick your butt!
AfricanElephant111.jpg

That elephant is a wuss. :rolleyes:

What is that supposed to mean??

Um, if they had more people's quotes in their signatures, they'd be more happy. :)

I was only kidding about the elephant :(

Last edited:
Back on topic, Kirwan still believes the Pats ARE getting a Vet OLB (either Peppers or Taylor), and he believes it changes the draft choice.

Mock draft 4.0: Serious shakeup at the top

The Patriots are going to wind up with a veteran outside linebacker (Julius Peppers or Jason Taylor) and that shifts the interest to the secondary.

I think that makes sense...ONE OR THE OTHER...that does not mean in my opinion that drafting a youmg OLB will not happen...maybe not as immediate...

Im also starting to think that BB isn't sure if he can get the pass rush he needs via the draft, we have plenty of picks and this draft is full of hybrid de/olb pass rushers. He might not be too impressed with it so that might be why he pulls off a trade for Pep but who knows who the mans thinking...

I think you're right, hence the discussions with Peppers and Taylor. :rolleyes:
There may be a couple of legitimate OLB/DE tweeners available in the draft, but being able to get them when you're on the clock is another matter. Also, if they are in fact DE/OLB conversion projects they won't be making a significant impact anytime soon.

I think the money issues can be worked out if Peppers really wants to be in NE and really wants to get a ring. I tend to think he does because one of the four teams he's rumored to be interested in is the Cowboys=virtually no realistic shot at SB as long as Wade Phillips is around, plus they already have an ******** [the feared animal w/ big ears] in DeMarcus Ware. No way Peppers fits in Dallas if they don't trade Ware, so that one's a classic smokescreen.

I think that makes sense...ONE OR THE OTHER...that does not mean in my opinion that drafting a youmg OLB will not happen...maybe not as immediate...

Nice situation, really. Barwin, for example, could make an immediate impact on special teams and get weaned into an OLB role. I've been up and down on him, but i think he'd be the player to make the most improvement in the next 2-3 years, whereas I don't see English as a great all-around athlete.

that's just me. :blahblah:

Each day that passes, brings the price down on Taylor. Also, someone else already on the roster gets closer to being extended. Those dollars will never find their way into Peppers bank account.

Each day that passes, brings the price down on Taylor.

I disagree with this statement...With a vet like Taylor who likley wont sign for awhile as he stated the whole family thing likley doesnt lose out on anything. The guys that are looking to break the bank lose out by the day as money dries.

I disagree with this statement...With a vet like Taylor who likley wont sign for awhile as he stated the whole family thing likley doesnt lose out on anything. The guys that are looking to break the bank lose out by the day as money dries.
Not sure if Taylor wishes to break the bank...money does dry up...NOT sure if it's more the wish to be with the family sort of thing MORE important for him..

Has Carucci made any follow up comments about this yet? I think the "close" window timeframe has expired and based on the comments from Belicheck there is really some questionable validity to the basis of this report. Any chance Carucci publicly recants?

Has Carucci made any follow up comments about this yet? I think the "close" window timeframe has expired and based on the comments from Belicheck there is really some questionable validity to the basis of this report. Any chance Carucci publicly recants?

Yes, Carucci has followed up. It's covered in a separate thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ck-deal-peppers-will-need-signature-time.html

I think the "close"ness of the deal was clearly overrated in Carucci's initial report, but I don't think this is a closed option like Adam Schefter suggests either. There is no pressure to get this done quickly, and there is plenty of possibility to make it happen if everyone wants it to happen - Peppers, the Pats, and Carolina. It's probably not likely - I'd guess it's somewhere around a 20-30% kind of possibility - but by no means a dead end. The quieter this stays, the better. I think that Belichick clearly was trying to kill the story, but not necessarily kill a deal.

He posted this follow-up article:

LINK

He doesn't completely back off, but talks about how complex it would be to pull off. He goes from it being "imminent" to:

Vic Carucci said:
If Peppers wants to go to New England, there is every reason to believe he’d be welcome (Belichick said Peppers would have no problem converting from a 4-3 end to an outside linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 scheme). But given the complexities of working out a contract that is acceptable to him and fits the Pats’ pay structure and also working out the actual trade agreement with the Panthers, it is clearly going to take a while for him to get there … if he ever does.

Sounds like he completely jumped the gun and is trying to save face.

Last edited:
He posted this follow-up article:

LINK

He doesn't completely back off, but talks about how complex it would be to pull off. He goes from it being "imminent" to:

Sounds like he completely jumped the gun and is trying to save face.

He also badly mis states what BB said about Peppers converting...which he avoided saying anything specific about beyond stating he believes a player that talented can usually play in any system. That's a far cry from the spin Carucci chose to put on that hypothetical comment. It means a competent coach can generally find a niche for that kind of talent irrespective of system...kinda like Carolina assumed they had in their 4-3 only Julius didn't see it that way on the heels of a disappointing(0 sack) performance in this seasons AZ playoff game they were favored to win...which couldn't have been his fault (given his talent) so it must have been a system problem which is why he wants to leave.

Honestly, this is if I can't win in a 4-3 I must belong in a 3-4 for football purposes...with a little touch of provided he gets paid like the DE talent he is thrown in by his agent for business purposes...

Seems like massive retreat on what he said..and a bit of what BB said in that these deals take a LOT of time. Imminent deal ALMOPSt done?? Far from it...maybe more a few minutes in a marathon.
I did hear Ordway today and his thoughts were that Peppers was more in a corner..and that if he wanted out...it was the Branch way. For even IF the agent and Patriots had a deal..IF...Carolina could just say sign him an dwe'll take 2 1sts....knowing the picks will be value...NOT high and expensive. His thought was that as time went on..his only way out would be if he reduced his demands on things..also noting that Harrison's contract with Pitts would be closer to the reality of Peppers.. BUT as was pointed out..he wanst X money big time for a position he's not playing in. NOT happening...he MAY say teh right things and MIGHT come here with a lot of wheeling dealing..but it would be short term 2 years maybe then GONE!!

Seems like massive retreat on what he said..and a bit of what BB said in that these deals take a LOT of time. Imminent deal ALMOPSt done?? Far from it...maybe more a few minutes in a marathon.
I did hear Ordway today and his thoughts were that Peppers was more in a corner..and that if he wanted out...it was the Branch way. For even IF the agent and Patriots had a deal..IF...Carolina could just say sign him an dwe'll take 2 1sts....knowing the picks will be value...NOT high and expensive. His thought was that as time went on..his only way out would be if he reduced his demands on things..also noting that Harrison's contract with Pitts would be closer to the reality of Peppers.. BUT as was pointed out..he wanst X money big time for a position he's not playing in. NOT happening...he MAY say teh right things and MIGHT come here with a lot of wheeling dealing..but it would be short term 2 years maybe then GONE!!

I understand what your saying. Im trying to look at this in 2 views. I notice in reality that now that someones "source" that is close to Peppers says that he wants Haynesworth Money and that would mean a no go for the Patriots.

But...

On the other side if you remember a while back Peppers said out of his own mouth that he wants championships not money. So, what if this is all a ploy to say that now he wants big money to back other teams off to get a deal done with the Patriots at a cap friendly deal. You never know im just looking at it from both views!

Sounds like he completely jumped the gun and is trying to save face.[/QUOTE]

Well he's sticking to his guns as of 5 minutes ago. He just said on Sirius that he still maintains the Pats are seriously pursuing Peppers and he's sticking to that story until he hears otherwise. I thought we already had heard otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Back