PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Pats remain interested in Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their saying if Peppers signs a long term deal, Carolina is okay. Yes, they can can sign him to a one year deal but they can't sign anybody else in FA and would barely be able to sign their draft picks. Going into a possible uncapped year, it would be stupid to sign a player (that doesn't want to sign long term) to a one year deal and then see him walk in 2010. Carolina won't be able to match any offer he would receive in 2010.

I'm having a hard time following your train of thought. The FA ship has sailed and if Carolina didn't move him or rescind the tag to sign anyone it's too late to do anything about that now. So they are no longer pressured to do anything as there is nothing for them to do. There is no way they are a better team in 2009 without Peppers at this juncture.

You said they couldn't afford to sign him to a long term deal because they didn't have the cap to. But they are already carrying him under a $16.8M cap hit and they in fact have over $6M left with the ability to extend Delhomme to free up more if they want to - and with no first round pick they will have NO TROUBLE signing their draft picks... If they could sign Peppers to a long term deal they would likely gain another $9M in cap space although there might not be anyone left in FA they are interested in spending money on and cap space can't be rolled forward after this season since 2010 is an uncapped year. They have franchise tendered him and fyi they can do so again next year. It will be expensive, $19M, but in an uncapped year...who cares...

The media seems to want Peppers traded so they see that potential around every corner. We needed to move Cassel in the first few days of FA because our FO had a list of FA they wanted to sign. Not every team wants to. Indy seldom signs FA because Polian believes their potential to burn you is too great and his top heavy payroll doesn't really allow for them. He spends his money on retaining those of his own players he chooses to and he drafts for replacements for everyone else. Indy started 19 players last season who had never set foot on an NFL field before 2008 and they still made the playoffs. Which just proves that there is more than one way to succeed in the NFL.

Carolina won it's division and made the playoffs last season so they may not think they needed that many FA this season and may well believe they are just a few breaks and better plays/execution away from a superbowl WITH Peppers on their existing roster. Personally I think that's wishful thinking, but such is the mindset of most franchise FO's. They tagged Gross last year and guess what...this year they got him signed to a long term deal. Maybe despite what he says Carolina has reason to believe they can yet sign Peppers to one too.

You said they couldn't afford to sign him to a long term deal because they didn't have the cap to. But they are already carrying him under a $16.8M cap hit and they in fact have over $6M left with the ability to extend Delhomme to free up more if they want to - and with no first round pick they will have NO TROUBLE signing their draft picks... If they could sign Peppers to a long term deal they would likely gain another $9M in cap space although there might not be anyone left in FA they are interested in spending money on and cap space can't be rolled forward after this season since 2010 is an uncapped year. They have franchise tendered him and fyi they can do so again next year. It will be expensive, $19M, but in an uncapped year...who cares...

I'm just relaying what I have read through NFL.com. I wish I could find the articles but it's like finding a needle in a hay stack. Sometimes articles are online for a certain amount of time and then their suddenly deleted. Regarding the signing of Peppers, I never said Carolina couldn't sign him long term. In fact, I said that is the only way they can keep him. About your last statement, remember Asante Samuel. Peppers holds all the leverage, he doesn't have to sign with Carolina. If Carolina is so desperate to hold onto to him for one more year than they can agree in his contract that they won't franchise him in 2010. All I'm saying, if Peppers really wants out, it will be either this year or next year.

The media seems to want Peppers traded so they see that potential around every corner. We needed to move Cassel in the first few days of FA because our FO had a list of FA they wanted to sign. Not every team wants to. Indy seldom signs FA because Polian believes their potential to burn you is too great and his top heavy payroll doesn't really allow for them. He spends his money on retaining those of his own players he chooses to and he drafts for replacements for everyone else. Indy started 19 players last season who had never set foot on an NFL field before 2008 and they still made the playoffs. Which just proves that there is more than one way to succeed in the NFL.

And their going to have to keep relying on the draft because they are in a small market.

Carolina won it's division and made the playoffs last season so they may not think they needed that many FA this season and may well believe they are just a few breaks and better plays/execution away from a super bowl WITH Peppers on their existing roster. Personally I think that's wishful thinking, but such is the mindset of most franchise FO's. They tagged Gross last year and guess what...this year they got him signed to a long term deal. Maybe despite what he says Carolina has reason to believe they can yet sign Peppers to one too.

No doubt, show the money to the player and all your problems are solved. That Raiders CB wanted out of Oakland until they showed him the money.

All I'm saying from what I've read, is that all signs are pointing towards Peppers getting traded.

Well they already have him fit in the cap at his franchise tag.

So apparently some are saying that his cap hit for this year if he signs a long term contract is going to be for MORE than $17 million?

Either those people are idiots or they know something we don't.

I'm sure some felt - as they did around here - that there's no risk to franchising someone if you hope to either sign them long term or trade them.

There is a risk, as their was with Cassel - the Panthers however are paying the price and thankfully we did not.

There is only risk if you are unwilling to trade the player for a reasonable value or if you really don't want to keep him.

When the JETS tagged John Abraham in Ratgini's rookie season they knew two things: they could not afford to keep him without having to cut players they needed come June or July and he didn't fit the 3-4 Mangini was installing. But there were a few other things they knew including John was not willing to play for them again anyway but he absolutely wanted to play for and get paid by somebody. So even though he resented the tagging he was motivated to facilitate his own trade.

Carolina has contended all along it was always their intent/desire to retain Peppers. The only risk they assume is he's willing to sit out a season and lose $16.8M, and I don't think that's realistically much of a risk.

I like the fact that we're #3 likeliest on his list. #2 just happened, and #1 is rumored again today to be happening. (See Carucci list in original post.)

Last edited:
I like the fact that we're #3 likeliest on his list. #2 just happened, and #1 is rumored again today to be happening.

say what...

has anyone heard any updated rumors on the peppers trade? do you think its gonna happen? Also any chance the pats and chiefs make a draft day trade for Tony G? he hasnt showed up and wants out and i dont think the pats will re sign Watson. Watson and a 3rd for Tony? Any thoughts?

has anyone heard any updated rumors on the peppers trade? do you think its gonna happen? Also any chance the pats and chiefs make a draft day trade for Tony G? he hasnt showed up and wants out and i dont think the pats will re sign Watson. Watson and a 3rd for Tony? Any thoughts?
I'm not feeling the trade winds at the moment. Seems like a good time to enjoy the sun and wait for Saturday.

say what...

Allow me to translate.

Peppers -> Patriots = #3 on Carucci's list.
The #2 trade [Jason Peters from the Buffalo Bills to Philadelphia (or somewhere else)] happened on Friday.
The #1 trade [Braylon Edwards from the Cleveland Browns to the New York Giants (or somewhere else)] may happen today.

Here is an interesting article from Carolina beat writer Darin Gantt, discussing Peppers desire to leave Carolina:

His desire to leave is real, and clearly stated...

This guy is different.

He's serious, and serious about leaving. And smart enough to know what to say and what not to so far.

He seems convinced that Peppers really wills stick to his guns and force a deal, and even talks about the money aspect:

Peppers is smart enough to know that if it was ever about the money, he'd have signed when the Panthers offered to make him the highest-paid defensive player in the game coming off the worst season of his football career...

Thus, the easy thing to do would be to show up on opening day, suit up and play, and collect those $1 million-a-week checks. Then he'd do it again next year. By swallowing his pride and staying put, he'd make a cool $37 million the next two seasons.

While there's a market for him in other cities, there's not one at that price tag.

A contract with another team will pay him in the neighborhood of four years at $48 million. There are likely teams willing to do that, including the Panthers. He's not going to sign such a deal in Charlotte, however.

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it.

Which is not to say I wouldn't jump for joy:D I mean who wouldn't love JP? Imagine some kind of an announcement like what BB did with Randy-how awesome would that be. We'll see what happens; I'd love to have JP in our line,oman think about the possibilities. The Pats will be ok without him but if we had him... "lights out" :singing:

Yeah, I definitely agree. Like most, I'm not getting my hopes up. It would be nice, though.

Here is an interesting article from Carolina beat writer Darin Gantt, discussing Peppers desire to leave Carolina:

He seems convinced that Peppers really wills stick to his guns and force a deal, and even talks about the money aspect:

I read this article too and came away from it thinking this writer is a guy who for some reason either desperately wants Peppers to prove he's principled rather than just another disgruntled superstar venting, 'cause he'd be OK with him leaving on principle, or he's sick of the act and he's goading him into proving you can't believe anyone who says it's not about the money.

"Since the beginning of this seemingly endless Julius Peppers saga, I've been convinced he will end up someplace else next year.

I believe this for one important reason. I believe Julius Peppers to be a man of his word.

Based on that assumption, for Peppers to play for the Carolina Panthers again, he'd have to become some degree of a hypocrite, and I'm fairly certain he's not. The situation may cause him to reverse course later, but at the moment, he remains in the standoff, virtue intact." LOL

"Perhaps that benefactor sits outside the exclusive “four team” club that was bandied about early in the process. Perhaps that list was largely fictitious — a bluff called — and someone he wasn't considering looks like a better option now. Because those names didn't come out of his mouth, he can work with that one." LOL

"So few players really mean it when they say the magic words that having someone actually live up to them would be refreshing.

So if he really believes he wants out, he'll get out. If it's really not about the money, we'll know. If he really believes he's maxed out, he'll find another challenge. If he really believes the grass is greener, he's going to get a chance to mow it.

His words — not anyone else's — have created this stalemate, and his words might be the only thing to end it.

They didn't have to be mutually exclusive, until the words fell out of his mouth.

And because that's where they came from, we have no choice but to believe them, until the point in time when he chooses to prove that they didn't mean as much as we thought they did."

If Peppers were just after the money, he would sign his tender because it becomes guaranteed. Also, he could have had a huge extension a year ago.

However, it is a mute point. Even if Peppers takes a discount, it is hard to imagine the Pats fitting him in the budget. It still is going to be a huge contract.

It is simple math, you have to pay guys like Brady, Wilfork, Seymour, Mankins etc. in the near future. If you go pay Peppers a ton, does that mean you lose one of your own key guys?

For all intents and purposes Peppers tag money or more is already guaranteed. What can Carolina do... pull the tag and make him an UFA...?

Like the writer said, he wants his money just not from Carolina. But unless he's prepared to make a scene and force the issue, Carolina is where he will get it, and more. Tick tock.

So maybe what that says is after much thought he's really OK with staying in Carolina as the highest paid player in the game...;)

If Peppers were just after the money, he would sign his tender because it becomes guaranteed. Also, he could have had a huge extension a year ago.

However, it is a mute point.

If only.....

FWIW, via Twitter, just posted: PatriotsInsiderRUMOR: Julius Peppers to New England for Richard Seymour and a 2nd round pick? -- Carolina radio WFNZ

Probably BS, undeserving of a new thread until another source reports it...

that would bum me out. i hope it's not true. we could get a great contract year out of seymour this year, and i don't feel great about jarvis green playing that position for a whole year while we get peppers up to speed.

hope that is not true.

that would bum me out. i hope it's not true. we could get a great contract year out of seymour this year, and i don't feel great about jarvis green playing that position for a whole year while we get peppers up to speed.

hope that is not true.

I agree, I would feel better about Seymour/Woods than Green or Wright/Peppers. At least that's my gut feel, but obviously if BB makes the trade he must have some kind of plan...

FWIW, via Twitter, just posted: PatriotsInsiderRUMOR: Julius Peppers to New England for Richard Seymour and a 2nd round pick? -- Carolina radio WFNZ

can you show us a link?

Hm. Not necessarily the worst possibility, if the new contract was reasonable.

I agree, I would feel better about Seymour/Woods than Green or Wright/Peppers. At least that's my gut feel, but obviously if BB makes the trade he must have some kind of plan...

If we do end up trading Seymour then i think we will move up and draft Tyson Jackson or grab Jarron Gilbert to take over Seymours spot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST