PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cardinals nearly beat Steelers/refs, but can only blame themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the Ben props.

As for the refs, it is what it is, did they favor the Steelers...I don't think so, but I'm a homer. I heard Boomer Esiason say they could have called Holding on Gandy on basically every single passing play. And the first Fitz TD Catch...looked to me like the nose of the ball hit the turf as he went down...not sure about the review there, but that one could have been INC.

It is what it is. We started with a 1st and 20 with just over 2 mins to go in the game and drove the field to score a TD with 35 seconds left and won the game.

Honestly-it wasn't a badly called game at all. The only iffy call was the RTP on BR on their last FG drive...although to be fair, it was pretty close.

From what I saw, the Cards just weren't ready for the spotlight. I can't remember the last SB team to have double digit penalties, especially considering that the refs usually let them play.

Ultimately, the Steelers earned it with blood and sweat. The hardest schedule in the league, and not once did they lose back-back games. After you guys beat us on 12/7 at Heintz Field by overcoming a 13-3 4th qtr deficit, I had a funny feeling in my bones that the Steelers were the team of destiny.

As for the Cards-they're in good hands with Ken Whisenhunt. He's changed the culture in the Desert, and has brought discipline and accountability to that team as well. They may never get back to the Super Bowl, but they'll continue to be contenders every year.

I came across this clip from Harrison's touchdown. I thought it was a more blatant block in the back last night, but that may have had more to do with the beverages.

2ighzyx.jpg

You can also see on the bottom that Antrel Rolle was too close to the sideline in that return, and Fitzgerald ran in to him - slowing him down enought that by the time Fitzgerald caught Harrison it was too late.

Last edited:
Last night I thought Holmes feet were in but after seeing this picture, I'm starting to wonder if the refs got that call right or wrong.

ss-090201-superbowl-jc-4.ss_full.jpg

Well, that picture doesn't tell you anything - you should re-watch the video and freeze-frame it.

Holmes stretched to catch the ball with his body at about a 60 degree angle to the ground. This picture is several frames after the catch was made, as evidenced by the fact the ball is already tucked into his body with his right arm.

Last night I thought Holmes feet were in but after seeing this picture, I'm starting to wonder if the refs got that call right or wrong.

ss-090201-superbowl-jc-4.ss_full.jpg

After Holmes scored he used the football like a salt shaker, then tossed it into the air. Isn't that using the football for a prop? The ref is in the picture not 10 feet away....and no call was made. Do you remember B. Watson putting the ball under his jersey to honor hos pregnant wife? 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff!
Fifteen more yard for the Cardinals is huge at that point in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back