PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cardinals looking to trade Deone Buccanon?

Evans was never a first round target according to various sources back after the draft. Ragnow on the other hand...

The Pats weren't interested in Evans?

Also, what are your thoughts on drafting Centers in the first round? It's easier to pull the trigger on those than Guards, and the idea is that you can find quality guards in the later rounds. But some debate goes on anyway.

Also, what are your thoughts on drafting Centers in the first round? It's easier to pull the trigger on those than Guards, and the idea is that you can find quality guards in the later rounds. But some debate goes on anyway.

Interested enough to give Evans a thorough eval, yes. That doesn't equate to "they would have drafted him over Wynn." We'll never know what they're relative draft value grades were on the Pats' board.

Having Scar on the staff, and his knack for making silk purses out of sows' ears, dramatically skews college OL prospect values for the Pats way outside the rest of the world's pre-draft rankings and tendencies. The debate over whether or not drafting Centers in the first round is wise may apply to the 31 other teams, but I don't think it's even a subject of discussion for the Pats.

From my point of view too expensive for a one year rental unless you can sign him to a reasonable long term deal.

If the rumors are true Reddick is the more interesting player because he is still on cost control for a while.
I would be surprised if they traded Reddick for anything less than a 3rd.

I’m all for either Buchanon or Reddick; though Reddick would be the much cheaper option. Buchanon would fit right in here. I believe it’s more of a system change/ scheme fit in AZ, mixed with the fact he had ankle surgery in May 2017. He didn’t just become a bad player all of the sudden. He was highly productive when utilized correctly a couple of years ago. That’s a coaching issue. He’d certainly add some speed and coverage ability; he can hit AND rush the passer ;) We also had him for a pre draft visit in 2014.

Deone Bucannon to visit the New England Patriots

Source: Deone Bucannon visiting Colts today, Patriots, Vikings up next - National Football Post

Last edited:

I don't have any set guidelines about overdrafting positions. If you think you can get a 10 year starter in the first round and there is nobody who got rated higher on your board you obviously go for it.

That being said I am happy with Wynn/Michel.

I’m all for either Buchanon or Reddick; though Reddick would be the much cheaper option. Buchanon would fit right in here. I believe it’s more of a system change/ scheme fit in AZ, mixed with the fact he had ankle surgery in May 2017. He didn’t just become a bad player all of the sudden. He was highly productive when utilized correctly a couple of years ago. That’s a coaching issue. He’d certainly add some speed and coverage ability; he can hit AND rush the passer ;) We also had him for a pre draft visit in 2014.

Deone Bucannon to visit the New England Patriots

Source: Deone Bucannon visiting Colts today, Patriots, Vikings up next - National Football Post

I wonder if you could swing a deal with the Cards where they extend him, eat a portion of this new contract's guaranteed money and trade but get a better draft pick back in return.

I'd rather give up a third or fourth round pick for a player on a reasonable contract than a seventh round pick for an expensive one year rental. But I have no clue if something like that is allowed under the CBA. @Miguel ?

Last edited:
I wonder if you could swing a deal with the Cards where they extend him, eat a portion of this new contract's guaranteed money and trade but get a better draft pick back in return.

I'd rather give up a third or fourth round pick for a player on a reasonable contract than a seventh round pick for an expensive one year rental. But I have no clue if something like that is allowed under the CBA. @Miguel ?

I remember that a player converting salary into a signing bonus before being traded but to my dismay cannot recall the name. Uggh.

I remember that a player converting salary into a signing bonus before being traded but to my dismay cannot recall the name. Uggh.
Jason Smith in 2012 is one example. They gave him the same salary as Wayne Hunter so the trade would be cap-neutral.

(I have no idea why I remember that.)

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back