PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
im guessing Bill will want to carry a bunch of that cap forward to next year when the overall cap number is likely going to be significantly reduced..

might be worth front loading 1 or 2 deals on key players tho this year, and make their hits team friendly in 21/22

Having a big pile of cash also means that they can convincingly position themselves for a good draft pick in case Newton looks the part this year via franchise and trade. One of the issues with the Jimmy situation was that the cap space never supported a tag/trade for him.

Having a big pile of cash also means that they can convincingly position themselves for a good draft pick in case Newton looks the part this year via franchise and trade. One of the issues with the Jimmy situation was that the cap space never supported a tag/trade for him.
How often do teams really do a tag and trade at QB where the team does not already have an equal or better option on the roster at QB and is tagging and trading a QB just to move up in the draft to take a rookie QB?

How often do teams really do a tag and trade at QB where the team does not already have an equal or better option on the roster at QB and is tagging and trading a QB just to move up in the draft to take a rookie QB?
It is early for this. However, if the patriots franchised Newton, he would simply sign the tag. The team would then see just how many team would give a high draft choice to have Newton for $18M or contract where negotiations started at that amount for Year 1. MAYBE some would do this near the day of the draft. But, by then, we would have kept $18M unavailable for free agency before the draft.

It is early for this. However, if the patriots franchised Newton, he would simply sign the tag. The team would then see just how many team would give a high draft choice to have Newton for $18M or contract where negotiations started at that amount for Year 1. MAYBE some would do this near the day of the draft. But, by then, we would have kept $18M unavailable for free agency before the draft.

Why, would he, doesn't that limit the number of teams that he could get traded to? What if he wants to go to a team with 12mill of cap room?

it takes two parties to get a deal done. Hopefully there is a meeting of the minds and they get a deal done this week.

Agreed, he grades out as one of the top 5 cbs in the league and I’m sure he and his agents know this. He’s going to ask for top dollar and he’s earned the right to. We’ll see what happens.

I would note that Froholdt was considered a potential starting center by at least one other team during the draft.
Curious, how do you know this?

If Froholdt can replace Thuney in 2021 the cap space number jumps from $39m to $53M. If the cap shrinks as reported, BB is going to go bargain shopping with a much wider selection of groceries :cool:
Useful

Curious, how do you know this?

There were several mentioned during time coming top to the draft. I don't keep such files, or have any interest in researching this. BTW, if it isn't Froholdt, who do you think is our backup center.

There were several mentioned during time coming top to the draft. I don't keep such files, or have any interest in researching this. BTW, if it isn't Froholdt, who do you think is our backup center.
I would agree he is, I just found it curious that team(s) were ready to draft him and start him at center and wondered where that inside information came from.

If Froholdt can replace Thuney in 2021 the cap space number jumps from $39m to $53M. If the cap shrinks as reported, BB is going to go bargain shopping with a much wider selection of groceries :cool:
Why would the cap number change? Thuney cap number next year is 0.

Why would the cap number change? Thuney cap number next year is 0.

Good point. My mistake. Let's say if Cannon is not back the $39M is $44M. How about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes