PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cannon Opts out [Update 9/4: Home listed for sale]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took almost a month after opting out, but Cannon's home in Wrentham hit the market 8 days ago. #61 is listing his home at $1,106,161.
Yeah I don’t think he’s returning. He’s taken a beating over the years.

Great career for a guy that looked like his career may have been sabotaged by cancer. He beat it, won 3 rings, and earned a boat load of money. His efforts won’t be forgotten.

Yes, looks like it is time to celebrate Cannon's contributions and wish him the best!
He's always had a good perspective on things, so I suspect he has in fact managed his money well. That's not a "lives of the rich and famous" house price, so that's a good sign.

It took almost a month after opting out, but Cannon's home in Wrentham hit the market 8 days ago. #61 is listing his home at $1,106,161.

I think it was Howe who mentioned that Cannon was close to retiring a couple times this offseason. Makes all the sense in the world.

Not sure why news about Cannon's home being up for sale sparked another COVID discussion but let's snip it there as @luuked has attempted to do (thank you). Further discussion here should be focused on Marcus Cannon.

Are you referring to cap savings?
Both on-field & off-field savings...Seriously doubt that he would've improved his play in 2021 but the cost to release him would've been prohibitive under his current contract...But if he retires, then there should be significant cap savings immediately...

Need to see the corresponding transaction (i.e., where his new house is) to know if this really means anything.

He's done with football... I'm betting he'll be unofficially retired for a little while just in case, but I think he's mostly done with the game.

Both on-field & off-field savings...Seriously doubt that he would've improved his play in 2021 but the cost to release him would've been prohibitive under his current contract...But if he retires, then there should be significant cap savings immediately...
This makes me wonder if, due to the hastily negotiated and developed mechanisms of the opt-out procedure, Belichick found a way to outmaneuver the cap.

So a player opting out automatically relieves the team of his cap hit, and, if the team does not spend those cap dollars, this cap savings can be moved into 2021. Is it possible that, if Cannon had hypothetically reported to camp then retired, the Patriots may not have received the same cap savings?

I don't know much about salary cap dynamics so I'm purely speculating here

Smart man. Lots more players should opt out. Force the NFL to get its head out of its azz and cancel the season. They'll never be able to complete the season. What'll happen in the NFL will make what's going on in MLB look like nothing.
Okay. So what if there is never a viable cure?Do we cancel sports forever? I thought this line of thinking was going to stop when the economy reopened and, in spite of the prognostications of absolute doom, the world didn’t end because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST