PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we discuss why the refs called the Clements bobble a TD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like all those whiny articles, TV talking points and narratives about how the Patriots "benefit from the refs/replay" might have culminated into a form of peer pressure and got into the head of Al Riveron.

when he stepped on the end line, at that exact moment neither hand was on the ball, it was resting against his waist.

Looks like all those whiny articles, TV talking points and narratives about how the Patriots "benefit from the refs/replay" might have culminated into a form of peer pressure and got into the head of Al Riveron.
Agreed. I think if this is a week 13 game against Buffalo they call it incomplete but they **** their pants and didn't want to catch flack for it so they let it stand.

That's how it looks. I'd bet money hat Goodell told Riveron to not over-analyze any questionable calls like that and just give anything to Philly.

I have never heard a commissioner actively talk about rule changes before a title game situation, so this leads me to believe there was some kind of pressure felt, but as we know, it's only tied to when NE is perceived to be "helped" by Goodell.

Not only that, the rule they are talking about is the "surviging the gorund" concept, which as NOTHIGN to do with proving final possession and 2 feet down.

If Clement had final control originally, he never would have shifted the ball.

The ball can move in your possession, but if it moves TO possess the ball, you haven't possessed it yet.

This isn't rocket science, but as we know, rules have been changed or altered for over a decade because teams can't beat NE.

This is partially why ratings are dropping. NE is great, people are bored, let's change so many rules to confuse our refs and customers, but it also allows are creepy lawyers like Blandino, Perreira, etc, all coached by Jeff Pash and other losers, to leave a grey area as an ace in the hole to actually cheat the Pats (or another team).

They were afraid of the backlash of overturning the TD with 110 million people watching.

Absolutely. We all saw it was incomplete, but Goodell instead decided 99% of American rooting for Philly, meant he could get away with it.

I love how people claim I wear a tin foil hat, yet again, we have proof I am correct.

If that was a Pats player who caught that ball and didn't show possession and 2 feet down in time , it's 100% "incomplete" under review.

They blew the call, either because they just blew it or because all the attention on catches led to a too cautious approach to the review.

They blew the call, either because they just blew it or because all the attention on catches led to a too cautious approach to the review.

May I ask what a clear replay is for then? They didn't blow it. They cheated. Everyone could see him shift the ball from the other angle. We only saw the backside angle in live action.

I warned of this. Dion Lewis's "fumble" in the title game was in no way a fumble by rule. No one cared how wrong that call was because we won. But, that was the NFL's way of being sneaky, blowing the call, even though the ref is right there, and then acting like there was "no evidence" Lewis still had it pinned to his hip firmly, only losing it after his left knee and he, himself, was down. I have never seen someone not fumble a ball (lose possession), and it be called a fumble anyway on replay. Creepy.

But a probable 4 point swing in a Super Bowl if Philly kicks the FG there? That's a big deal.

Pat’s defense lost the game. Belichick’s ego, poor coaching and team management lost the game. I blame 2 people, Belichick and Patricia, nobody else.

I just want to know why and how Clement's bobble in mid air catch and then switches hands and gets it after it was bobnling in the air forever, was counted as a touchdown?

If the rules applies here, that shouldn't have counted as a touchdown. He never maintained full possession of the ball all the way through and through.

Also, why didn't Belichick ever challenge any of the touchdowns? Or are you not allowed to since they refs reviewed them?

Because the bobble didn't matter, he caught it, stayed upright, became a runner, and broke the plane. Anything after that was moot.

Edit, NM, wrong TD. I have to go back and review Clements TD again. But after looking at it, my impression was that it was generally a good call.

Last edited:
This random moment brought to you by me

I consider Dues one of the most prolific posters on this forum (not even sure it can be debated, but there's data to back it up)

There have been 4,137 days since he joined and his 57,918 posts means he averages 14 per day.

Chris Stevenson started only 29 days ago and has 1,135 for an average of 39 (.14 if you care about decimals) per day.

I'd hate to do a letter count comparison because it would get insane....

Like it would have mattered. Eagles would have just scored a TD on the next play.

Regardless of that Patriots has been on the winning end of these anyways.

It was a third down. There was no next play for them.

We were very lucky when it came to these kind of calls all year. Our luck ran out in SB 52.

.......and ALL OF AMERICA SCREAMING how we get all calls and Refs fixed it for Pats. With goodell* responding to what is a TD Rule definitely should be addressed in off season gave Refs a golden opportunity to show they weren't biased and no controversy in aftermath. Notice how all of America, mediots* aren't making these non calls an issue.

This random moment brought to you by me

I consider Dues one of the most prolific posters on this forum (not even sure it can be debated, but there's data to back it up)

There have been 4,137 days since he joined and his 57,918 posts means he averages 14 per day.

Chris Stevenson started only 29 days ago and has 1,135 for an average of 39 (.14 if you care about decimals) per day.

I'd hate to do a letter count comparison because it would get insane....

Unlike certain Millennials Chris Stevenson does not **** around. Or something.

I think this is exactly in the gray zone of the catch rule where depending on how it is called on field should not be overturned. I have no issue with the call to be honest.

The only one I hate is the missed illegal formation. But then again everyone missed that. They should make that definitely reviewable because this is something that can easily be caught from above.

And for anyone thinking it is not a huge deal I disagree. Because being on the line or behind the line affects how the defense lines up or plays that illegally positioned player.

Like it would have mattered. Eagles would have just scored a TD on the next play.
The TD throw was on 3rd and 6.

If called incomplete it's 4th and 6 at the 22.

While they went for it often on 4th down, 4th and 6 might have been a different matter. It probably cost the Pats 4 points.

It's pretty simple why it was called a catch when all season long similar plays were ruled incomplete.

Goodell made it a point of emphasis leading up to the Super Bowl and tainted the judgement of the officials. It was a great play and they were better off in the realm of public opinion by allowing it so the benefit of the doubt went to the receiver in Clement's case.

OFFICIALGATE.

I think the replay official (Riveron) caved to the public pressure that he overturned too many calls this year, especially in favor of New England.

The Clements bobble was NOT a touchdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing