PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we discuss why the refs called the Clements bobble a TD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were an unbiased fan I can see why it would be in the league's best interest to let the call stand.

That doesn't make it right. Just sayin

The TD throw was on 3rd and 6.

If called incomplete it's 4th and 6 at the 22.

While they went for it often on 4th down, 4th and 6 might have been a different matter. It probably cost the Pats 4 points.

Eagles would have went for it and nothing about the defense that night would have me believe the eagles wouldn't have at least got a first and eventually punched it in the endzone that drive.

Eagles would have went for it and nothing about the defense that night would have me believe the eagles wouldn't have at least got a first and eventually punched it in the endzone that drive.

The eagles went for it all on manageable distance during 4th down plays. 4th and 6 at the 22 if I had to guess would actually have been their lone FG try.

The Eagles would have kicked the FG on 4th and 6 and assuming it was good would then have a 25-19 lead. The subsequent Pats TD to Hogan would have given them the lead and the rest of the game would have played out differently.

The Pats defense played horrific but losing 4 points to a replay call unlike any in the regular season certainly did not help things and very well could have impacted the way the game was played in the 4th quarter.

I think the fix was in.

I never liked that New York thing of direct communication with the refs. That was made for times like this when the refs would probably overturn the call but "New York" makes the political/rigged call.

I just watched the replay for the first post-game. It's unbelievable how they let this stand. You can see his hands come off the ball for a very quick moment while his other foot is in the air. By the time his foot makes contact with the ground combined with his hands secured on the ball, that foot is about an inch or two out of bounds. This is f*cking egregious. Here's an article from the Kelvin Bejamin TD that was correctly overturned.

Ref: Kelvin Benjamin overturned TD 'clear and obvious'

"When the receiver got confirmed control of the football, he was not able to get both feet down in bounds," referee Craig Wrolstad explained in a pool report following the game. "So, his back foot was already off the ground and it stepped out of bounds. His firm control did not occur until after he had one foot off the ground.

"It was clear and obvious that he did not have control of the ball until he brought it all the way down into his chest."
Watch closely, you can see his hands/gloves grip the ball, then release/come off for half a second. This video is good since it's a short clip and loops over & over again.

Last edited:
Side note: If McCourty can turn around a second or two sooner, it looks like he could've jumped to bat down/deflect/intercept that ball.

The Eagles would have kicked the FG on 4th and 6 and assuming it was good would then have a 25-19 lead. The subsequent Pats TD to Hogan would have given them the lead and the rest of the game would have played out differently.

The Pats defense played horrific but losing 4 points to a replay call unlike any in the regular season certainly did not help things and very well could have impacted the way the game was played in the 4th quarter.
You understand the flaw in this logic right? So the rest of the game would have played out differently, but the Hogan TD would have happened the exact same?

they were afraid

besides, the fix was in........they wanted someone other than the pats to win.....jsutification is that the pats will be there again next year and the eagles will crash and burn

You understand the flaw in this logic right? So the rest of the game would have played out differently, but the Hogan TD would have happened the exact same?

The reason I said the Hogan TD happens and then the rest of the game would be different is that was the last score where there were no decisions to be made. Pats would have been down 6 (instead of 10) and would have played their possession the same way. It is certainly speculation but not out of thin air.

Assuming the Hogan score happens the Pats go up 1 and I am unsure if the Eagles would have settled for the FG on their next possession vs going for it. Their mindset/play calls would have been different. Extra points. 2 pointers and what not would also have been different the rest of the game. If Pats were only down 1 instead of 5 on the possession they fumbled their entire approach would have been different. They may have run on 2nd and 2 instead of passing.

.......and ALL OF AMERICA SCREAMING how we get all calls and Refs fixed it for Pats. With goodell* responding to what is a TD Rule definitely should be addressed in off season gave Refs a golden opportunity to show they weren't biased and no controversy in aftermath. Notice how all of America, mediots* aren't making these non calls an issue.

The week before the game, Goodell said "Fans want catches" in an interview. You have to wonder if that influenced the replay officials where they decided if it was close, to let the play stand.

The week before the game, Goodell said "Fans want catches" in an interview. You have to wonder if that influenced the replay officials where they decided if it was close, to let the play stand.

It absolutely did. Goodell has changed rules and cheated during the season before and this is no different. Has anyone ever seen a replay in a Super Bowl be whiffed on before?

Nope, I haven't either.

It was clearly an incompletion.

Eagles still would've scored. Goddamn did the defense sucked.

Because the NFL was scared to show the whole world how stupid the actual rule is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back