PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone explain the Justin Fields hype?

Anybody who wants Fields, but got mad at Jones for asking for advice outside the team is a massive hypocrite. Fields shoved his coaches under the bus and then helped the bus drive over them.

I've seen the idea of NE trading for Fields a lot, with some idjits (not here, thank God) suggesting the Patriots trade #3 for Fields and the Bears' #9.

Can someone please explain the logic of this? It just feels like trading one messed-up QB for another messed-up QB.
Definitely not giving up #3 for anyone let alone fields. Here's what I will say. We have to take the current state of the QB room in consideration. Mac and zap are distressed assets. They don't have a great relationship, Mac's career trajectory was butchered, he lost his way as a QB. Zapp was a yes man, but physically a practice squad player if I'm being honest.

Unlike Mac, fields overcame bad coaching. He improved since his rookie season, and his ceiling is much higher. He'd only be a bridge QB until the Pick is ready. He has pure athletic ability, a nice arm, and his top WR did have 1,400 yards playing with him. He's not perfect, but I wouldn't be mad if we did aquire him. So a later 3rd or 4th for him ? Chicago is likely taking another QB in the draft so the cost could be lower.

Anybody who wants Fields, but got mad at Jones for asking for advice outside the team is a massive hypocrite. Fields shoved his coaches under the bus and then helped the bus drive over them.
That fact Bill acknowledged that he texted with Jimmy G before and after every game.. went unnoticed... however Mac gets ridiculed.

I got get the hype.
Season 6 Reaction GIF by Parks and Recreation

I’m not a Fields fan, he just seems miserable, it’s like he doesn’t enjoy playing football. I remember when he got drafted, no smile on his face.

As a couple others have mentioned he played better down the stretch and the Bears last home game the fans were chanting his name.

He'll fit right in. :rofl:

In shorts and T-shirts on a track, Fields seems way athletically superior to Mac in every way. Speed, quickness, arm strength...

The problem is that in a football jersey, on a field, on game day, that superior athleticism doesn't seem to help him be a more effective QB.

I don't see the value in trading more than a 3rd rounder for him, an offer which the Bears would likely not bite on.

Definitely not giving up #3 for anyone let alone fields. Here's what I will say. We have to take the current state of the QB room in consideration. Mac and zap are distressed assets. They don't have a great relationship, Mac's career trajectory was butchered, he lost his way as a QB. Zapp was a yes man, but physically a practice squad player if I'm being honest.
That can easily be solved by getting rid of one.

Unlike Mac, fields overcame bad coaching. He improved since his rookie season, and his ceiling is much higher. He'd only be a bridge QB until the Pick is ready.
Fields doesn't meet the definition of a bridge QB. You don't trade picks for a bridge QB when you can just pick one off FAcy. There are >30 QBs in FAcy. At least 3-5 could be had w/o trading assets.

This doesn't even take into consideration that if he happens to have an above avg. outing, it could result in a QB controversy w/ your #3 pick. This makes no sense. I think that you think, he's the guy, probably because he was your binky in '21. Fess up, lol.

He has pure athletic ability, a nice arm, and his top WR did have 1,400 yards playing with him. He's not perfect, but I wouldn't be mad if we did aquire him. So a later 3rd or 4th for him ? Chicago is likely taking another QB in the draft so the cost could be lower.
We don't have a later 3rd (#68). Our 4th (#103) could be used to move up into the top 100. Pats only have 7 picks, one in each round. Again, wrong timing for this to make any sense given all the needs on offense.

speaking of Jimmy G. Is he available to be the bridge quarterback? [ducking...]
He is not a UFA. McDaniels/Zigler gave him a 3 yr, 73M contract. Lol

He'd cost $28M in dead money if cut, which drops to $17M if he's traded.

Gotta give it to Jimmy, he sure made a bundle ($134M) off those 2 games he started w/ the Pats.

He is not a UFA. McDaniels/Zigler gave him a 3 yr, 73M contract. Lol

He'd cost $28M in dead money if cut, which drops to $17M if he's traded.

Gotta give it to Jimmy, he sure made a bundle ($134M) off those 2 games he started w/ the Pats.
TBF, it was those two games plus the fact that when he started for the Niners they arguably looked like the best team in the league down the stretch.

The funny thing is the reason they would trade Fields is that he needs to be paid in a couple years. Why trade for that when you cN take a player cheaper at the start of a rebuild and have money for talent around him
To give credit to the pro-Fields side, if the Pats draft a player at #3, that player will get roughly $42M, fully guaranteed; Fields will earn about $2.5M this year.

I like the Fields trade .... just not Fields. Trade-downs are attractive, unless they really like one of the big 3.

Fields looked great when he destroyed BBs defense on National ****ing TV.

That can easily be solved by getting rid of one.

Fields doesn't meet the definition of a bridge QB. You don't trade picks for a bridge QB when you can just pick one off FAcy. There are >30 QBs in FAcy. At least 3-5 could be had w/o trading assets.

This doesn't even take into consideration that if he happens to have an above avg. outing, it could result in a QB controversy w/ your #3 pick. This makes no sense. I think that you think, he's the guy, probably because he was your binky in '21. Fess up, lol.

We don't have a later 3rd (#68). Our 4th (#103) could be used to move up into the top 100. Pats only have 7 picks, one in each round. Again, wrong timing for this to make any sense given all the needs on offense.
Ok wich one to get rid of? You still don't solve the problem. U keep zap? He thinks he's the starter and should be starting in his mind. he's threatened by the draft pick. It's just an idea floated out there nothing really makes sense until it happens.

To me the biggest issue with Fields is that you run the risk of him being nothing more than a one-year rental, as 2024 is the final year of his contract.

If you give him an extension that he agrees to you run the risk of committing major cap space, as well as losing the earliest draft pick the team has had in 30 years for a mid to low tier NFL QB. It sounds eerily similar to the situation Denver is in with Russell Wilson. The Broncos are stuck with Wilson for at least two more seasons because of the deal they signed him to in 2022.

As far as the risk/reward goes, I would rather roll the dice on a rookie. Hopefully you get five very good years on a cheaper rookie contract, rather than paying way more on a veteran deal. Retaining the #3 pick makes much more sense.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back