PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone explain the Elisha Manning hype to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About Eli...if a few stone hands DB's *Asante Samuel*:snob: included caught more of his picks we wouldn't even be talking about him.:rolleyes:

About Eli...if a few stone hands DB's *Asante Samuel*:snob: included caught more of his picks we wouldn't even be talking about him.:rolleyes:

If rainwater were beer, we'd all be smashed.

Attachments

• Eli_Manning_Giants_QB.jpg
    Eli_Manning_Giants_QB.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Goober.jpg
    Goober.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 105
And the forced fumble by Jaquian Williams to set up the game winning FG wasnt??? Cant have it both ways Pats fans.

Yes, that certainly was. But the three before that kind of put you guys in that position, no?

And it took that, to win. I mean Giants had like 5 possessions to score a FG. If a game ever gets that close between Pats and Giants, we're not going to need 5 possession and overtime to kick a freaking FG. 49ers could have put the game away in the 3rd quarter. If the Giants play that sloppy in the super bowl, Pats will put the game away in the third quarter. There won't be a comeback drive when you are down 2-3 scores.

Last edited:
Yes, that certainly was. But the three before that kind of put you guys in that position, no?

And it took that, to win. I mean Giants had like 5 possessions to score a FG. If a game ever gets that close between Pats and Giants, we're not going to need 5 possession and overtime to kick a freaking FG. 49ers could have put the game away in the 3rd quarter. If the Giants play that sloppy in the super bowl, Pats will put the game away in the third quarter. There won't be a comeback drive when you are down 2-3 scores.

How the People including those in the Media forget the Giants did not move the Ball against the 49ers after the half is beyond me. It was like pulling teeth watching their Offense. That is why i dont see how we can lose to them. Because it's not like they are not going have their troubles. I feel for the Guard who has Wilfork. The Patriot Secondary is catching those Picks mark it down Eli.

How the People including those in the Media forget the Giants did not move the Ball against the 49ers after the half is beyond me. It was like pulling teeth watching their Offense. That is why i dont see how we can lose to them. Because it's not like they are not going have their troubles. I feel for the Guard who has Wilfork. The Patriot Secondary is catching those Picks mark it down Eli.

This is why I predict a blowout if they don't clean up their mess. The Giants of the regular season very much showed up against the 49ers. The 49ers of the regular season didn't.

We'll see which Giants team shows up in the Super Bowl.

Which just underscores who the GOAT is... Rogers has a shot to compete, but like Eli he got off to a slow start (although much of that wasn't of his doing) and has now become one and done. Brady was a HOF lock 4 years into his career. Nobody wins 'em all but Brady rebounded pretty damn close to doing that 7 years in. Now a decade in counting one missed season due to catestrophic injury, he has rebounded on a team in transition to the tune of a unanimous league MVP season followed up by a 5th friggin' superbowl appearance in a decade...

Media lives to hype. Lots of QB's are elite one year and crap the next. That's because they aren't actually, you know, elite. Elite is about a number of things including winning, statistical performance, and the most overlooked accomplishment of all...consistency.

Eli is like the Forrest Gump of QB's, the proverbial box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get until a season is in the books. He can both drag an otherwise poised for dominance team down or inexplicable carry a struggling team on his back. Ergo the truth about who he is lies somewhere in between. As does Romo. Coming out of college he was actually hyped as the better Manning QB. Only even after their daddy picked the spot where he believed he would be best positioned to succeed, as opposed to Peyton who was asked to engineer a total turnaround - Eli floundered while Peyton basically led a one man band who while they may not have won it all dominated on the way to being perennial conference contenders.

Eli is improving as he enters his 30's - he almost had to and if he hadn't he'd have been jettisoned along his HC but for that ring in hand, and his remaining shortcomings are less noticable down the stretch because he kept them in striking distance in the NFCE (which is becoming akin to competing in the AFCW) and the Giants managed to rally as a team heading into the playoffs. Again, a lot like Forrest Gump's story... Hey, not the guy you'd have picked to succceed based on lifelong observation, but one you might decide to bet on going forward simply given the alternatives and where they have landed and where he is now heading. He's gone farther than expected while clearly elite performers went home emptyhanded. Typically shortsighted what have you done lately media's immediate kneejerk inclination is to reassess or reconfigure the definition of elite.

Carson Palmer, Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner, Romo, Sanchez...there is just a littany of QB's and for that matter players in this league who are elite, bums, jags, elite, clutch, chokers, at one point if not off and on over the course of their careers based on both erratic performance and media spin. Eli is just the lastest and it remains to be seen who and what he ultimately is. My guess would be he remains near the top of that maddening heap, right behind Roethlisberger and just ahead of Flacco and the rest of the wannabes.

I think Brady's legacy will always be inextricably bound with Belichick's. The Pats got to five SB's in 11 years because of great QB, but also because of an organization and a coach. Brady has been surrounded since Day Zero (the day immortalized in your nick) by people committed to putting and keeping the pieces in place to win and win again.

I think QB's have to be viewed in light of the whole picture. Coughlin is good; but he's no Belichick. The Maras are class-act owners, but the Krafts are still hungry.

I agree that Eli has been inconsistent; I'd have to be a fool not to. He's also had to deal with being Peyton's little brother and none of us can really know the impact that had on him; maybe it was nothing, but I'd be surprised.

QB's develop at their own pace and within their own organizations; Elway failed in his first three SB's and then went out in a blaze of glory by winning two in a row. I think history will be very kind to Eli. A second ring at the age of 31 with four to six more good years left in him? I don't think we could be so dismissive of him at that point.

It's up to Brady to seal the deal with history by doing what only Bradshaw and Montana have done; watching a couple of his interviews this week, it's clear that it still eats deeply at him that he didn't do it four years ago. When that happens, everyone is choking on his dust. Until then, these discussions will rage on, with new "contenders" every few years.

Last edited:
Dude is tough and dude is clutch.
Eli Manning is everything his brother Peyton isn't.
Tom Brady needs to play more like Eli and not Peyton.
Unfortunately in recent years Tom and this offense have morphined into Peyton Brady and the N.E. Colts and have struggled in big games.
Tom Brady needs to bring himself and this offense back to being smart, patient and all about ball control/clock control.
That happens they win the SB. If not and he continues to throw first and think later then this team will lose yet again.

Comes from the largest media market, so there are many avenues to extol how great he is... so if you repeat a lie over and over again, from many different souces then "poof" the magic happens.. he becomes elite.

OTOH the media does not have to tell me he is a pretty good qb, he passes the eyeball test.

Couldnt agree more, This is the same media which said that Sanchez was the second coming of Namath........

I would agree that the Pats defense is much improved, but I wouldn't take too much from the 49ers game. That D is world class - best D in the playoffs, imo.

I think the Pats can get pressure, but not anywhere near what the niners got, and the secondary will give Eli more opportunities than he had on Sunday.

Sure. Easily.

In 2007, he led his team to three consecutive road playoff wins and then went into the Super Bowl a 14 point dog and beat a team and a QB that would have been called the GOATs had they won that game.

People dismissed him as a one time wonder, until this season he led his team back to the SB with five consecutive "win or die" victories against the Jets, Cowboys, Packers and 49ers, the last two of which were also on the road.

He's played the Pats three times since 2007 and come out ahead by one game against arguably the best team of this decade and certainly the best team of the preceding decade.

He's tough like his brother isn't and he's never blamed a loss on a "protection problem" by his line. He's a stand up guy who consistently earns the respect of those who meet him and know him.

To paraphrase the old saying, "I wouldn't kick him out of my locker room."

That said. Is he as good as Brady? No, he doesn't deserve that to be said of him at this point.

But if he gets his second ring and goes up 3--1 in head to head matchups, you probably shouldn't access the media online, on TV or in the papers very much for a few weeks. We can yell all we want about five SB trips in 11 seasons, but people will say that Eli deserves to be considered in the same league.

Very well said!

That is why I laugh at the notion that Brady was terrible and Eli played great. Outside his two picks, Brady played well. The Pats had numerous scoring chances and never got shut down like Eli and Co. did in the second half. I don't like the if whats or buts game, but the truth of the matter is that the Giants were helped a lot more by the 49ers than the Pats were by Evans dropping the ball. Kyle Williams had just as much if not more to do with the Giants winning than Eli did.

If not for the Tuck Rule, we likely don't get to our first Super Bowl, and thus Brady doesn't win his "first one".
If Phillip Rivers doesn't have to play on one leg against the Pats in 2007, Brady (3 ints in that game) would likely have lost that game and not been in the Super Bowl. Last week, if our rookie CB doesn't hit the ball out of Lee Evans hands, we likely don't get to the Super Bowl, or if the Ravens kicker doesn't shank a 32 yard field goal, we may not have.

If, if ands or buts where candy and nuts, what a wonderful world this would be.

Anyone trying to dismiss Eli is, quite frankly, stupid. There's a reason why he's in yet another Superbowl.

Last edited:
That is why I laugh at the notion that Brady was terrible and Eli played great. Outside his two picks, Brady played well. The Pats had numerous scoring chances and never got shut down like Eli and Co. did in the second half. I don't like the if whats or buts game, but the truth of the matter is that the Giants were helped a lot more by the 49ers than the Pats were by Evans dropping the ball. Kyle Williams had just as much if not more to do with the Giants winning than Eli did.

If by some miracle the Giants win the SB and i mean Miracle...they should send Kyle Williams a Ring it wouldn't have been possible for them without him.

If by some miracle the Giants win the SB and i mean Miracle...they should send Kyle Williams a Ring it wouldn't have been possible for them without him.

Why? You do remember that the 49ers offense was not doing anything after their second td. I mean I don't think they got a first down in the whole 4th quarter, or overtime, so what makes you think they would score?

bible_coloring_page_Elisha_Splits_Jordan.png

:confused: :D

In my dictionary to be Elite you have to be consistent which Eli is not.You dont see Brady or Peyton losing 4-5 games in a row. I dont recall Eli having a 13+ winning season.....His defense Bails him out everytime.And the miracle catches of his are nothing but prayers which he throws and are brought down by his acrobatic WRs..........One thing which i have to admit i admire about the guy is he is a tough SOB.....he takes a lot of hist and does not seem affected by them.....

Last edited:

I was just about to start ranting on Asante and Meriweather...thanks for the cup of water to the face, much appreciated. I could feel my blood pressure rising just reading the post about stonehands Samuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST