PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam says he would be happy to return to the Pats

At this point, I wouldn't even feel good about him being the primary backup. He's already had a chance to "compete for the job" and the body of work he put on tape was below the level of a backup. That said, if we managed to improve our skill positions, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he came back on another cheap cuttable deal just to see if the talent around him makes a difference (I don't think it will).

Ok great.

I think Cam’s return is unlikely. BB was more than classy in the way he handled a player with limited passing ability. They’ve parted amicably and it’s time for a new plan.

I am still hoping for Jimmy, but I don’t know how likely that is to happen. In any event, this offseason might be one of the most turbulent in the league in terms of QB movement. It might benefit NE if they can target the right player.

I think he is just being polite.

Why wouldn't he be?

I wouldn't mind a Jimmy-Cam tandem. We know Jimmy will miss a few games a year. If the weapons are better, Cam might be able to grind out some wins against average teams. And he can run some trick plays, he caught a TD from Meyers. Maybe he can play a little TE... If he was willing to convert from QB to more of a swiss army knife playing all over, including reserve QB, he would be awesome to have.

Personally I don't want to see Cam return as a wildcat/trick/gadget play option. I want the Pats to have a QB who plays every down.

For better or worse - I think the odds of that happening are not zero.

They better be zero or we just wasted the most opportune offseason in the history of the franchise to bring back the worst an in the league to surround 80,000,000 of new players

I wouldn't mind a Jimmy-Cam tandem. We know Jimmy will miss a few games a year. If the weapons are better, Cam might be able to grind out some wins against average teams. And he can run some trick plays, he caught a TD from Meyers. Maybe he can play a little TE... If he was willing to convert from QB to more of a swiss army knife playing all over, including reserve QB, he would be awesome to have.
Jimmy doesn’t miss a few games he either plays or he misses a long stretch of games.
Hard to blame him for the ACL.
Not playing with the shoulder in ‘16 raised an eyebrow.
Sitting out so long with a high ankle sprain in 20 brings a lot into question.

Generally severe injuries are bad luck, but Jimmy seems somewhere in between.

As of today we don’t have a better option. There is no free agent QB that is clearly better that we have a shot for, and tbh everyone here is too gun shy based on the Goff/Stafford trade reaction to get one and unless we use the 15th which many here seem against.... we are not in a great draft position. Hell the 15th pick might not even net a top 5 QB this year

Never thought about that... good point. As a backup, he could be Taysom Hill on steroids. I'm sure he has the humility to be a backup QB, but this would require two QB's willing to accept lesser reps, something easier said than done.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back