PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

As part of an overall plan it kind of makes sense.. as long as this isn't THE plan then i'm happy. If he is cheap and incentive laden money wise and then we can draft someone or possibly a FA then it's a good move.

First incentive: double digit touchdown passes.
Do o really want to go through all the effort to go to a patriots game to watch Cam get sacked, throw the ball into the ground, and miss wide open receivers?

Kraft better give us the option to opt out this season and continue in 2022.

Goodness. He needs to cough up $25mil or more for the most important position. Who cares about PR or optics? Just pay for a good QB.
Do you understand that there are none available? You can play Madden and make trades all you want, but that is not reality. I don't like this signing at all, but the plan needs to be the draft. Cam's deal is one year, not 3-4. Mahomes did not start his first year. Let's hope this is the plan.

Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor
My sentiments exactly. You've got to be kidding me. Even as a stop-gap, back-up, or whatever, Cam was terrible last year and it does not bode well for our team that adding him back to the mix seems like a good move to the powers that be.

The first thing that came into my head was the word dementia, but I have to believe that Bill saw the same things we saw with the weakness of Cam’s throwing arm and knows an injury or Covid caused it.

I downplayed the effect of contracting Covid had on Newton. But, I tested positive for Covid last Friday. I’ve had mild flu-like stomach issues with a sporadic cough, but walking across the floor exhausts me. I’m concerned how the fatigue if it lingers is going to effect me when I get back to work, and all I do is sit at my desk and talk to customers. It had to effect Newton. How much I guess we’ll find out next season.

I had talked myself into Jimmy G returning, and I really thought it was going to happen. But, I like the QBs in this draft class and taking one to develop for a season behind Cam Newton is probably best for the long haul anyway.

I'm sure it's nothing close to 14m guaranteed money ffs, Bill would have to have completely lost the plot and while some of you may think he has on the field, financially he's usually been on the ball.

Probably around 4m guaranteed and non-incentivised money if I had to bet. Not sure why he gets a pay rise for an average season when hardly any other team would even pay him as a backup but hey ho.

Hopefully a lot of that 14M in incentive based. Personally I hate this contract for the player. They are better off drafting a guy money wise for sure and hoping it works out.

This was always the move that made the most sense. He was going to be the cheapest option with the most continuity for a team likely to draft a QB. Everyone else was either a massive trade or a giant contract that they weren’t worth. Saw it a mile away

The first thing that came into my head was the word dementia, but I have to believe that Bill saw the same things we saw with the weakness of Cam’s throwing arm and knows an injury or Covid caused it.

I downplayed the effect of contracting Covid had on Newton. But, I tested positive for Covid last Friday. I’ve had mild flu-like stomach issues with a sporadic cough, but walking across the floor exhausts me. I’m concerned how the fatigue if it lingers is going to effect me when I get back to work, and all I do is sit at my desk and talk to customers. It had to effect Newton. How much I guess we’ll find out next season.

I had talked myself into Jimmy G returning, and I really thought it was going to happen. But, I like the QBs in this draft class and taking one to develop for a season behind Cam Newton is probably best for the long haul anyway.
Covid certainly has the potential to cause a bunch of issues, but Cam said he was asymptomatic.

if the cap hit is at or under 4 mil, as it sounds like it might be, hard not to like this move, considering the other moves it sets up

gotta wonder if a stidham trade is coming......

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back