PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam Newton: "It's really put-up or shut-up time"

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

I'd give the guy this... he may not have been the world's greatest QB since he got here... but he's been a pretty darn good Patriot.

I know him talking about his shoulder injury put some people off recently. But I've never really gotten the vibe from him (in his time here anyway) that he's looking to make a lot of excuses, or blame anyone else for his performance. He could have easily cited a lack of weapons, not enough time to get a grasp on the system, or a Covid interruption (I'll say interruption, as it was IMO more of a speedbump than something you could look at as impacting the latter half of his season). I certainly won't give him a ton of credit for not saying those things, just that his public declarations have always just been, "I need to be better, I need to hold my end of the bargain, Mac Jones was the right choice, I need to do my job."

It's why I don't really understand the concern that he's going to be a problem in the locker room is he loses the starter job. Maybe he doesn't want to stay because he thinks he can compete for the job somewhere else, and my guess would be Bill tries to accommodate that if he can, but I just don't see any sign that he's going to suddenly start dividing the team behind the scenes if he has to be the backup for 2021.

I'd give the guy this... he may not have been the world's greatest QB since he got here... but he's been a pretty darn good Patriot.
Hand the "Good Patriot" one of these as he makes his way to the practice squad
Adidas L GIF by Sneakersnstuff

......and let him crush one of those during his lonely walk to the back fields
arnold schwarzenegger eating GIF

Last edited:
Considering the team drafted the player they intend to replace him with ASAP he might as well shut up and play when they want him to.

I look on this a real positive comment. Far from being a possible lockerroom problem, Newton just announced that he REALIZES that if Jones beats him out then will perform his role as back up or retire or ask to be released because he didn't "put up" Totally excited to see this competition. It tells me that Netwon is in a good frame of mind. He KNOWS that he's going to have to compete for his job and he's prepared to do it and let the chips fall where they may.

The Bottom line here is that the ONLY thing that matter is how he performs in the coming camp. Prattling on about last year is just piling on. Taking the easy and LAZY way out to pontificate and feel superior.

Hey you all may be right. That he's done and what we saw at the end of last season is always what he always going to be at this point in his career.. But I prefer to wait and see what he IS in camp and not waste my time dissecting every comment he makes in an effort to question his character and slam he performance last year AGAIN. :rolleyes:

I don't get the Cam hate in this forum. Yall are really spoiled brats...we just had TWO DECADES of the BEST QB PLAY OF ALL TIME. No matter who we brought in...it wasn't gonna be that good.

Cam has the right attitude and mindset. Yeah, him shot putting the ball didn't look too good at times....but what the hell do you guys want? All I wanted was a QB who took responsibility, gave 100%, and was a leader.... check, check, and check.

And as an added bonus, he presents a HUGE HURDLE for Mac Jones to get over before Jones can even see the field. The man was the league MVP only SIX YEARS AGO.....

The Patriot way was always saying little to nothing and doing all the talking on the field through actions.

Its the New York Jets way now. All the hype about Jones is the same as every Jets QB who was supposed to be the franchise - Pennington, Sanchez, Darnold. With the exception of the pragmatic ones, Pats fans have drank the Mac koolaid and are all in. Cams message picks up where he left off last pre season. All the high hopes and dreams of confetti and champagne.

I don't see evidence that huge numbers of Pats fans "have drank the Mac koolaid and are all in".

I guess a huge number of Pats fans are frustrated about how bad Cam was last year and hope that Mac is a replacement & upgrade. Most of us (and I'm one who really likes his skills) expect him to play very little this year and would be stunned if he's a starter any time in the first half of the season, barring injury.

I don't get the Cam hate in this forum. Yall are really spoiled brats...we just had TWO DECADES of the BEST QB PLAY OF ALL TIME. No matter who we brought in...it wasn't gonna be that good.

Cam has the right attitude and mindset. Yeah, him shot putting the ball didn't look too good at times....but what the hell do you guys want? All I wanted was a QB who took responsibility, gave 100%, and was a leader.... check, check, and check.

And as an added bonus, he presents a HUGE HURDLE for Mac Jones to get over before Jones can even see the field. The man was the league MVP only SIX YEARS AGO.....
I want a QB that can actually throw..asking too much?

I look on this a real positive comment. Far from being a possible lockerroom problem, Newton just announced that he REALIZES that if Jones beats him out then will perform his role as back up or retire or ask to be released because he didn't "put up" Totally excited to see this competition. It tells me that Netwon is in a good frame of mind. He KNOWS that he's going to have to compete for his job and he's prepared to do it and let the chips fall where they may.

The Bottom line here is that the ONLY thing that matter is how he performs in the coming camp. Prattling on about last year is just piling on. Taking the easy and LAZY way out to pontificate and feel superior.

Hey you all may be right. That he's done and what we saw at the end of last season is always what he always going to be at this point in his career.. But I prefer to wait and see what he IS in camp and not waste my time dissecting every comment he makes in an effort to question his character and slam he performance last year AGAIN. :rolleyes:
I just rolled my eyes so hard I pulled a muscle.

I don't see evidence that huge numbers of Pats fans "have drank the Mac koolaid and are all in".

I guess a huge number of Pats fans are frustrated about how bad Cam was last year and hope that Mac is a replacement & upgrade. Most of us (and I'm one who really likes his skills) expect him to play very little this year and would be stunned if he's a starter any time in the first half of the season, barring injury.
Yeah I think most people are more happy with the fact they took a QB than any love affair with Mac. I am not sold on Mac by any means but at least with him there is hope for the future. Cam is on the downslide and put together one of the worst QB seasons in a long time.

What do we want? A quarterback who can physically throw a football. Your post is absolutely asinine. No one is asking for anything close to Brady but we are asking for someone who can throw the ball. He averaged 177 passing yards a game. That is brutal.

And as an added bonus, he presents a HUGE HURDLE for Mac Jones to get over before Jones can even see the field. The man was the league MVP only SIX YEARS and TWO SHOULDER surgeries AGO ....

I like Cam as a person and agree with you but think you could have closed your post with a little more transparency. I fixed it for you.

I no longer know what’s satire on this forum.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back