PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

C. Sam, LB, a steal per PFW

Status
Not open for further replies.

braveht

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
mod edit: deleted the full long article leaving just the relevant excerpt, and added link. Please don't paste in entire copyrighted articles, it can get this site in trouble. Thanks!

PFW has him as one of 7 'steals' in the Day 3 draft. Excerpt:

Sam was a tackling machine at Arizona State in 2017 with 127 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and 3.0 sacks. He also has top instincts. What hurt him was he missed all but a few plays of the 2016 season with a foot injury, and then he ran slower than expected at the combine (4.75). I expect Sam to be a starter for the Patriots by Year Two at the latest, as well as get significant play time as a rotational player as a rookie

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my go to guys for draft content has an analytics video on Sam. I think he had him as LB4 or LB5 in the draft:

It’s funny how close his profile is to D’Qwell Jackson. He certainly has the opportunity to earn playing time as LB3/coverage LB vs. M. Flowers.

I was impressed by his Highlights. Between him, Langi and Bentley (Grigsby too, maybe) we could use a good LB to step up. Only Van Noy is a good Lbers.

Hightower isn't good either. He is great. But he is never on the field and that is starting to became a serious problem.

He’s got the name for it!

But they were saying he’s more of a Mike. So close!

His combine numbers were a little slow but his film overage looks quick!

I was impressed by his Highlights. Between him, Langi and Bentley (Grigsby too, maybe) we could use a good LB to step up. Only Van Noy is a good Lbers.

Hightower isn't good either. He is great. But he is never on the field and that is starting to became a serious problem.

Before last year Hightower had missed 13 of 92 possible games. He does get dinged up a lot but his durability issues are overblown to some degree. He had played in all 12 playoff games from 2012-2016, it's not like he has a history of season ending injuries.

The issue isn't that he tends to miss 3-4 regular season games per year. The problem is he's the only quality LB on the team. When he's not in there, the D is significantly worse. That should have been a focal point of the offseason but it will be another year of hoping he and Gronk make it to the playoffs in one piece.

He’s got the name for it!

But they were saying he’s more of a Mike. So close!

Caserio said he was a Will and Bentley is a Mike.

It wasn’t me but I’ll take the credit anyway. Thanks!

So you and Ian aren't willing to assume a huge risk so I can avoid having to make an extra click. Color me disappointed. :p

Edited to add smilie :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Was looking for game film of him, I had read some good stuff .

hope this was just a bad game .

Most often than not, the draft does not lie. You are what you put on take. He is on the light weight side and not fast enough, if you watch his best plays, you will think he is Ray Lewis, watch just his videos for individual games vs UCLA, USC and he gets lost in traffic a lot for run plays. He guesses very early.
But we can find a role for him, despite my post, I am excited to see what he can be with coaching. He seems to study a lot.

One of my go to guys for draft content has an analytics video on Sam. I think he had him as LB4 or LB5 in the draft:

It’s funny how close his profile is to D’Qwell Jackson. He certainly has the opportunity to earn playing time as LB3/coverage LB vs. M. Flowers.

If he indeed turns out to be a D’Qwell Jackson clone I would be very happy with him being the guy starting next to Hightower.

The only thing really of note in that article is that the 3 injury players were taken by BB tree teams (NE, Det, Hou).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back