PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Byron Jones

When you look at tape of all the CB's in this draft, it is Peters that stands out as having great film. If he had any maturity at all, he would be a top ten pick.

Jones's tape is not that good. But his combine numbers have the wow factor.

I like Williams of FSU a lot. He has big game experience and can play man and zone.

I also like Johnson of WF, although he gives up a ton of underneath catches. Could be scheme related or he does not trust his speed.

One thing to realize about Jones is that UConn had absolutely no pass rush this year. They played guys at De who looked more like DTs. And teams didn't run on them. They exploited the pass much more.

UConn's safeties were generally lost in the wilderness this year. The head coach talked up Obi Meliwonflu (a big safety) as being great before the season, but the kid was lost all year. The CBs could not press given the deficiencies behind them and the utter lack of pass rush. UConn made bad QBs look like world beaters. No pressure, no safety help.

Hard to picture Jones going #20 overall, but Philly's #52 does seem a likely floor for him (and #32 perfectly reasonable).

Draftek now has five top CB's gone by 30: Waynes, Collins, Peters, Johnson and Jones.

Board favorite Odighizuwa is at 22.
======
They have ILB's being picked at 31 and 32 Dawson and Hendricks), with OL's like Peat, Fisher, Flowers and Cann on the board.
=======
The only corners they have in 2nd are Rollins (51) and Carter (56).

Last edited:
Draftek now has five top CB's gone by 30: Waynes, Collins, Peters, Johnson and Jones.

Board favorite Odighizuwa is at 22.
======
They have ILB's being picked at 31 and 32 Dawson and Hendricks), with OL's like Peat, Fisher, Flowers and Cann on the board.
=======
The only corners they have in 2nd are Rollins (51) and Carter (56).

I can see Kendricks going in the first round, but not Dawson. Even Kendricks is unlikely, think back to when his brother, Lavonte David and Bobby Wagner weren't taken until the mid-second. All three are better than this crop of linebackers.

Zach Whitman tracks SPARQ on draftees and NFL players. SPARQ (speed, power, agility, reaction, quickness) is a cross sport measure of athleticism devised by Nike that has been amended to suit the NFL. The Seahawks use it a lot as a way to assess who the athletic prospects are. The following are the NFL players that are SPARQ-ed to the same degree Byron Jones is:

JJ Watt
Evan Mathis
Calvin Johnson
Lane Johnson

And....that's it.

I understand the love for Peters but guys like Jones just don't come around that often, especially ones with intelligence and a grade A character.

Sorry but if I'm BB and Jones is still on the board at 20, I'm grabbing him.

So I was wondering what Byron jones bench press numbers were at his pro day and initially I was kind of skeptical that he got 18. But then I did further research and apparently revis only had 16 himself. So I'm not saying that the bench press numbers will necessarily translate to being able to play agressive press man coverage, but seeing as how revis is highly regarded for his strength at the initial snap of the ball to hold up the receiver, I'm hoping that is something that jones can use to his advantage( granted we take him).

I'm sorry if my post was just random and nonsensical but it was something that I was really wondering about him. Next I'm hoping to find some reports or tape on his hip fluidity.

For those of you keeping score ( that's probably just me tbh :) ), Byron Jones had a 1.50 10 yard split according to NFL Draft Scout.

For those of you keeping score ( that's probably just me tbh :) ), Byron Jones had a 1.50 10 yard split according to NFL Draft Scout.
And has great character/lockeroom reveiws. Plus he's from right down the road and accustomed to weather conditions.

Jones is a great illustration of how fluid draft rankings are. A month ago, it was popular in these parts to talk about trading up a bit from #64 for Jones. Now most mocks project him going to high for them to trade up from #32.

Jones is a great illustration of how fluid draft rankings are. A month ago, it was popular in these parts to talk about trading up a bit from #64 for Jones. Now most mocks project him going to high for them to trade up from #32.

He's Stephon Gilmore basically. Absolutely ideal size, athleticism for the position that the NFL likes more than the media. He's also a reason why people shouldn't put too much emphasis on the media's draft rankings. CBS in particular are always slow to catch up to the zeitgeist. Unfortunately, because they are so comprehensive and the resource for many, they control a lot of the draft value narrative.

Jones is gone by 32. You can bank on that. Teams are desperate for CB help. It is the hardest position to fill on a roster, even harder than QB, and there is no more important position on the defense. The new breed of WRs are carving up defensive backfields and teams are desperate to stop it.

When us draftnics lust after a certain player, it is easy to forget that there are 31 other teams also lusting after him.

Year after year the draft guide underestimate the value of CBs and they go before projected.

Jones does not seem to have any holes in his game; that gets him picked before 32. We are going to be left with CBs with big question marks such as PJ Williams.

Jones is gone by 32. You can bank on that. Teams are desperate for CB help. It is the hardest position to fill on a roster, even harder than QB, and there is no more important position on the defense. The new breed of WRs are carving up defensive backfields and teams are desperate to stop it.

When us draftnics lust after a certain player, it is easy to forget that there are 31 other teams also lusting after him.

Year after year the draft guide underestimate the value of CBs and they go before projected.

Jones does not seem to have any holes in his game; that gets him picked before 32. We are going to be left with CBs with big question marks such as PJ Williams.

Unfortunately, this.

I'm in a place now where I take one of the two Kansas CBs, hopefully on day 3, and just have the mother of all camp battles to see who comes out on top.

The price of sustained excellence.

I generally agree with your statement except for the part where finding a CB is harder than a QB. But I see your point.

The sure-shot guys will be gone at 32. But, those with a question mark could be there. Marcus Peters because of his off-field issues. And, Jalen Collins because of his foot injury. I wouldn't have a problem with either. And, there's a decent chance both could be as good as Byron Jones in the NFL. Not sure if Peters drops. Collins will prob be there IMO.

image.jpg

Impressive interview with Byron Jones on ESPN. Well spoken. He mentioned his two biggest strengths being his versatility and intelligence.

He also said he didn't watch much NFL growing up and compared himself to Talib because all he saw was mostly Patriots games at UCONN.

When you look at tape of all the CB's in this draft, it is Peters that stands out as having great film. If he had any maturity at all, he would be a top ten pick.

Jones's tape is not that good. But his combine numbers have the wow factor.

I like Williams of FSU a lot. He has big game experience and can play man and zone.

I also like Johnson of WF, although he gives up a ton of underneath catches. Could be scheme related or he does not trust his speed.

One thing to realize about Jones is that UConn had absolutely no pass rush this year. They played guys at De who looked more like DTs. And teams didn't run on them. They exploited the pass much more.

UConn's safeties were generally lost in the wilderness this year. The head coach talked up Obi Meliwonflu (a big safety) as being great before the season, but the kid was lost all year. The CBs could not press given the deficiencies behind them and the utter lack of pass rush. UConn made bad QBs look like world beaters. No pressure, no safety help.

To further illustrate Upstater,'s point: Some of us (me included) weren't all that happy when the Pats took Jaime Collins. His game stats and tape from Southern Miss were underwhelming to say the least. But he tested really great at the combine. I looked at Collins and thought "workout warrior" and I doubt I was the only one. It turns out his college team and coach sucking, along with scheme changes and a possible learning disability (strictly speculation on my part) had plenty to do with his game stats and tape.

And Ochmed, if you think Peters has issues (and I agree he does), Williams' issues are worse and harder to address IMO.

Would you as Pat's GM trade up for Byron Jones ? I would.

To further illustrate Upstater,'s point: Some of us (me included) weren't all that happy when the Pats took Jaime Collins. His game stats and tape from Southern Miss were underwhelming to say the least. But he tested really great at the combine. I looked at Collins and thought "workout warrior" and I doubt I was the only one. It turns out his college team and coach sucking, along with scheme changes and a possible learning disability (strictly speculation on my part) had plenty to do with his game stats and tape.

And Ochmed, if you think Peters has issues (and I agree he does), Williams' issues are worse and harder to address IMO.

As for Jamie Collins. I am glad that he turns what he is but he still has mistakes. In SB he has two mistakes that could cost us SB. First in play where he missed Wilson in Seattle TD drive. Second in the Seattle final drive where Lynch caught and ran for 30 jards. I think he is awesome player but he mae mistakes.
Byron Jones as above 45 pick is fine with me, under that is too risky

As for Jamie Collins. I am glad that he turns what he is but he still has mistakes. In SB he has two mistakes that could cost us SB. First in play where he missed Wilson in Seattle TD drive. Second in the Seattle final drive where Lynch caught and ran for 30 jards. I think he is awesome player but he mae mistakes.
Byron Jones as above 45 pick is fine with me, under that is too risky

Collins had some mistakes in the SB sure, but he also made a LOT of good plays mostly under the radar. Also he was hammering Marshawn hard on almost every running play, but Lynch is such a dumb brute that it did not make any difference

The price of sustained excellence.

I generally agree with your statement except for the part where finding a CB is harder than a QB. But I see your point.

Maybe yes maybe no but consider this: How many shutdown corners are there in the league? Two, maybe three if you count Talib. How many top-flight QBs are there? A half a dozen at least. Of this is subjective but it seems as if there are a lot more top tier QBs than CBs.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back