PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Byron Jones

Was listening to Doug Kyed and Josh Norris on the NESN podcast and Norris was talking about Byron Jones and he was saying that Jones was perfect for a press scheme. I agree.

They both also said that Jones was almost certain to go first round. And it got me thinking, Jones reminds me a lot of Stephon Gilmore and it wouldn't surprise if Jones ends up with a similar draft trajectory. Needless to say I'd be disappointed.

My reason for not wanting Peters is his supposed altercations with a coach. This isn't the place for that.

Eh. What's a little strangling amongst friends?
icon_shrug.gif

Hard to picture Jones going #20 overall, but Philly's #52 does seem a likely floor for him (and #32 perfectly reasonable).
Chip Kelly is nothing if not unpredictable. His picks might be the biggest wildcard in the draft other than the Patriots' frequently unpredictable ones. I do think Jones goes before #32 whether it's to Philly or not.

Damn, I want this kid. Brandon Sherff, Byron Jones, Tyler Lockett. Other guys Zadarius Smith overlooked and underrated guy from Kentucky. Dupree gets all the love and accolades. Think this kids got a chip on his shoulder?

Late Rd, do we need another TE? No, but I love Nick Boyle from Deleware. They say he sucks at blocking and shy's away from contact. Team Captain. He looks like the kind of guy who can be taught toughness,. I might be wrong but if he's there at 219.....would anybody scream no?

Chip Kelly is nothing if not unpredictable. His picks might be the biggest wildcard in the draft other than the Patriots' frequently unpredictable ones. I do think Jones goes before #32 whether it's to Philly or not.
I see Philly going Safety first.. they picked up Maxwell in FA. Wanted McCourty

I see Philly going Safety first.. they picked up Maxwell in FA. Wanted McCourty
If Collins is there that makes sense. But there's only one Safety that could reasonably qualify for that pick.

Damn, I want this kid. Brandon Sherff, Byron Jones, Tyler Lockett. Other guys Zadarius Smith overlooked and underrated guy from Kentucky. Dupree gets all the love and accolades. Think this kids got a chip on his shoulder?

Late Rd, do we need another TE? No, but I love Nick Boyle from Deleware. They say he sucks at blocking and shy's away from contact. Team Captain. He looks like the kind of guy who can be taught toughness,. I might be wrong but if he's there at 219.....would anybody scream no?

That sounds like exactly what BB wants in a 6'6, 270 TE.

You can't teach toughness, you either have it or you don't.

Freak athletes like Jones tend to skyrocket up to the draft. Ultimately I think he is gone when they pick, if not I have him right behind Cameron Erving at # 32, but that is going off of a list of those who could really be available at that point in the draft.

Ahhhh.... It has been about a week since I have had a reliable internet connection, so I have not read or posted anything in that time. Stupid real job.
I still have Jones as a 2nd round pick. His measurables are off the charts good, but they don't necessarily translate on tape.
I do like him, but lets not go overboard here. He is not the perfect prospect because he tested well. He plays high and he on tape he is awfully stiff. If he is the pick at #32 I won't be upset, but I don't think he is the can't miss prospect he is being elevated to because of his unbelievable workouts.

Ahhhh.... It has been about a week since I have had a reliable internet connection, so I have not read or posted anything in that time. Stupid real job.
I still have Jones as a 2nd round pick. His measurables are off the charts good, but they don't necessarily translate on tape.
I do like him, but lets not go overboard here. He is not the perfect prospect because he tested well. He plays high and he on tape he is awfully stiff. If he is the pick at #32 I won't be upset, but I don't think he is the can't miss prospect he is being elevated to because of his unbelievable workouts.

Is this about Jamie Collins or Byron Jones? Because it could easily be said about either.

Athleticism matters. And those of us who like him, we aren't going overboard, we're just evaluating differently. As a total package, I genuinely believe that Byron Jones is the best CB in the draft. I also believe that in terms of projecting him to the NFL, he has the best tape.

And what's with the straw man? Who said anything about him being a "perfect prospect?"

Is this about Jamie Collins or Byron Jones? Because it could easily be said about either.

Jamie Collins had much better tape. He just had it on a one win team which kept him under the radar. If Collins played for the Tide he would have been talked about as a top 20 talent.

Jamie Collins had much better tape. He just had it on a one win team which kept him under the radar. If Collins played for the Tide he would have been talked about as a top 20 talent.

I personally don't believe so but each to their own.

Freak athletes like Jones tend to skyrocket up to the draft. Ultimately I think he is gone when they pick, if not I have him right behind Cameron Erving at # 32, but that is going off of a list of those who could really be available at that point in the draft.

I have him ahead, but outside of Gurley who's a special case, Jones, Kevin Johnson and Cam Erving are my top three prospects at 32. Although the La'el Collins, Brandon Scerff and Bud Dupree would all be considerations too if they fell.

I have him ahead, but outside of Gurley who's a special case, Jones, Kevin Johnson and Cam Erving are my top three prospects at 32. Although the La'el Collins, Brandon Scerff and Bud Dupree would all be considerations too if they fell.

I basically agree. Too often need becomes the driving force when we are projecting picks but the key for the actual teams is to get all pro caliber players with the first rounders so taking the guy who can be great is more important than need in the first. I had Goldman as my likely choice at 32 but reconsidering went with Erving and Jones because I believe both could very well end up at the top of the heap at their positions . In the final analysis the better player is the right pick.

Byron Jones, the guy just sounds like a Patriot to me. Therefore he will likely not be drafted by us.* ;)

*The one time I do remember a guy who sounded like a Patriot pre-draft to me that ended up becoming a Patriot would be Donta Hightower, so I suppose it wouldn't be the first time. :D

I'd be hesitant about taking a u conn player so high, both donald brown and darious butler were first round busts.

Does this make sense that they've had 2 guys who haven't lived up to their draft standing so you downgrade the whole school?

There are a lot of UConn guys in the NFL. Some drafted just as high, some are Pro Bowlers. Like Tyvon Branch and Anthony Sherman. Kendall Reyes is a quality DT for the Chargers. Sio Moore looks like he's going to be a player for the Raiders. Others were drafted low and showed decently, like Donald Thomas, a former Patriot.

Just because Brown and Butler didn't pan out doesn't mean the record for UConn success is any different than other schools. In fact, of the former BE teams, no school other than Rutgers has had more NFL success over the last decade, and that includes the best BE schools like West Virginia and Louisville.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back