PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Byron Jones

No, he hasn't gotten any attention on the draft board.

Seriously, or are you just joking around? I haven't had time to read all the draft threads.

Ok, so the question is, do you like him at 32?

Ok, so the question is, do you like him at 32?
You can find many opinions on that on the various threads. I don't expect him to be there at #32 anymore, however.

I'm just yanking your chain. No foul intended.

We dissect late round/UDFA prospects on the draft board with a fine tooth comb, much less guys with huge athleticism and upside like Jones, Bud Dupree and TJ Clemmings, all of whom get discussed here with the same enthusiasm that deflategate gets discussed on the main board. There are about 50 threads discussing Jones extensively. He was the concensus first round choice at #32 in the board mock a week or so ago. Very few prospects have been more discussed.

Personally, I think that the fact that Jones ran 4.36 (unofficial; I've seen 4.41 reported as well) at his pro day is irrelevant. We already knew he was going to run fast based on his VJ and BJ, and that box has been checked off long ago. He's a high character guy with freakish athleticism and high upside. His tape is good (better in off man and zone than in press-man), but hard to evaluate because of his shoulder injury. I currently have him as my #2 CB prospect after Marcus Peters, and well worth taking at #32 if he's still on the board.

I'll be shocked if we touch Peters. Belichick clearly loved the team last year and I can't see him bringing in a character concern like Peters. I doubt he's on our board to be honest. Jones is a high character guy in addition to his athleticism.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...byron-jones-runs-unofficial-436-40-at-combine

The kid ran a 4.36. anyone else really starting to like him? He should be around at pick 32.

I like Jones as much as anyone on this board. My main issue with Jones is he just keeps rising and he is borderline right now on his perceived value surpassing his actual value by a lot of draftnicks and NFL teams.

If he is gone by 32 so be it. There are plenty of other options that are tantalizing. If he is there at 32 is he a guy whose name I sprint to the selection table to turn in? Not automatically. There are other very good CBs in this draft that could be there in round 2 and if a teams offers you a above usual draft value deal for that pick I would certainly consider it.

I'll be shocked if we touch Peters. Belichick clearly loved the team last year and I can't see him bringing in a character concern like Peters. I doubt he's on our board to be honest. Jones is a high character guy in addition to his athleticism.

Jones IS a high character guy, and that is certainly in his favor. And Peters DOES have major question marks that need to be addressed, carefully. My personally impression is that much of his behavior was immaturity, but teams need to do diligence that he can take coaching and play within the structure of the team. I've been pretty clear about that being an issue that needs to be checked out. Given that, I don't think Peters is necessarily off the Pats' board - as I've noted before, he's either off it, or very, very high on it. His skill set is one of the best in the past 6-7 years. That alone gets him a very close look, in my book.

I'd be hesitant about taking a u conn player so high, both donald brown and darious butler were first round busts.

Jones IS a high character guy, and that is certainly in his favor. And Peters DOES have major question marks that need to be addressed, carefully. My personally impression is that much of his behavior was immaturity, but teams need to do diligence that he can take coaching and play within the structure of the team. I've been pretty clear about that being an issue that needs to be checked out. Given that, I don't think Peters is necessarily off the Pats' board - as I've noted before, he's either off it, or very, very high on it. His skill set is one of the best in the past 6-7 years. That alone gets him a very close look, in my book.
I hope Peters is there at #32 so we'll find out (if we actually use the pick). I wish I could remember the link, but I read an article/blog that said three teams they talked to think he won't go in the first round. That report also said he didn't interview well at the combine. I wish I could find the link.

Aha. Found it.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

"Multiple sources have told us that Peters did not interview well at the Combine and hasn't convinced teams that he truly has changed. There are still plenty of teams that are skeptical and a number of them have ruled Peters out as a prospect,"

"Three teams told us that they believe that Peters will not go in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft," writes Campbell. "Two of those three teams could consider a cornerback on Thursday night. They think that Peters is going to slip to the second day of the draft, similarly to other troubled cornerback prospects like the Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu or the Rams' Janoris Jenkins."

I have the same questions about Peters. I had him originally as a 3rd round pick due to character concerns in my first run down. However everyday he does the right thing and keeps his nose clean he rises just a little higher. Currently I would be okay taking him at 32. He would not be one of my absolute top targets at this point but not a horrible choice.

If 4 weeks from now he has continued to do all the right things and nothing else comes up I will feel even better about that pick and probably put him neck and neck with Jones for liking him at that spot. I wanna wait for that 4 weeks to be up though.

If 4 weeks from now he has continued to do all the right things and nothing else comes up I will feel even better about that pick and probably put him neck and neck with Jones for liking him at that spot. I wanna wait for that 4 weeks to be up though.
That's not a good test, unless they fail a drug test - or are named Alfonso Dennard - the weeks leading up to the draft aren't prime time for behavioral issues. His run in with coaches is a HUGE concern if he were to come to a team that coaches it's players very hard in N.E.

I'd be hesitant about taking a u conn player so high, both donald brown and darious butler were first round busts.

Butler was a second-round pick.

I hope Peters is there at #32 so we'll find out (if we actually use the pick). I wish I could remember the link, but I read an article/blog that said three teams they talked to think he won't go in the first round. That report also said he didn't interview well at the combine. I wish I could find the link.

Aha. Found it.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

"Multiple sources have told us that Peters did not interview well at the Combine and hasn't convinced teams that he truly has changed. There are still plenty of teams that are skeptical and a number of them have ruled Peters out as a prospect,"

"Three teams told us that they believe that Peters will not go in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft," writes Campbell. "Two of those three teams could consider a cornerback on Thursday night. They think that Peters is going to slip to the second day of the draft, similarly to other troubled cornerback prospects like the Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu or the Rams' Janoris Jenkins."

If Peters is there at 32, it will be telling to see what the Pats do. I think he has the best press-man CB skill set coming out of college of anyone I've seen in several years. Jimmy Smith had character concerns and still went #26 overall in 2011. I don't discount the need to check Peters out very carefully, but - like Dominique Easley (injured) in 2014 and Jamie Collins (raw) in 2013 - he brings something valuable enough to at least warrant a careful evaluation. For now I have him atop my list, with an asterix indicating that that is assuming that he passes scrutiny.

Best CB in the draft, the most scheme versatile, can play safety and CB, the most (or 2nd most)?athletic prospect in the draft, smart, has excellent ball skills and a potential shut down corner.

When you look at tape of all the CB's in this draft, it is Peters that stands out as having great film. If he had any maturity at all, he would be a top ten pick.

Jones's tape is not that good. But his combine numbers have the wow factor.

I like Williams of FSU a lot. He has big game experience and can play man and zone.

I also like Johnson of WF, although he gives up a ton of underneath catches. Could be scheme related or he does not trust his speed.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back