PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By the numbers: Patricia's offense downright offensive

Our best offensive output last week. Hope we build off of it going forward.
gosh.gif

;)

Note: Mac is currently on pace for 10.5 passing TD passes this season

Half a touchdown pass. Another innovation from Patricia's brilliant scheme.

Note: Mac is currently on pace for 10.5 passing TD passes this season (2.5 better than Cam in '20 though Cam had 12 rushing TDs vs Mac's 1)
Mac also missed 3+ games (not that he was lighting it up at the time) and Cam only missed one due to Covid (if memory serves).

Just stop this nonsense. I'm the first to point out Mac remains a work in progress, growing pains are expected and OF COURSE he has made some bad mistakes squarely on his shoulders. But the biggest reason he hasn't made the anticipated "sophomore leap" from his promising rookie season lies with coaching.

Maybe in the meantime you can do with your screen name suggests and root for the guy to do well.
"Mac has regressed through little fault of his own" you are an apologist who refuses to lay little if any blame at the feet of the QB. If you simply admit that you're a blind Mac homer, it would be easier for everyone.

I'm more middle ground than you think. To me it's 60% on Mac and his decisions making, pocket awareness and movement. 40% on oline and coaching/play design. Which oline is a major product of coaching.

But hey, you don't have to agree with me. You can keep ugh'ing away.

Interesting hypothesis, we have a rookie on the team that still has a better TD to INT ratio than Mac and he hasn't played in 5 games
yeah sure, Zeppe did a good job until he was asked to do more in Chicago and he folded like Mac did, would've Zeppe brought the Pats back and won the game instead of throwing 2 INT on his own when it counted most we might have a valid discussion but it seems for now its not really better, next to the obvious fact, that Jones is improving each game since his high-ankle sprain (unless biased blind fans that haven't watched the games)

I like Zeppe when it comes to pocket awerness and going through his reads, and Jones has still bad habits that he has to overcome, but right now I think Jones is still the better option and vs MIN Mac was the least to blame for the defeat, played quite well against a very good Jets D# the week before as well

not ready to write him off, but would like to have an experienced OC, inovative play designer that can use the players to their strengths and has perhaps proven it already somewhere else instead of doing a "friend" a favour and let him learn on the job, can do that with a Brady or a veteran QB that is experienced & already many years in the league but not with rookies

yeah sure, Zeppe did a good job until he was asked to do more in Chicago and he folded like Mac did, would've Zeppe brought the Pats back and won the game instead of throwing 2 INT on his own when it counted most we might have a valid discussion but it seems for now its not really better, next to the obvious fact, that Jones is improving each game since his high-ankle sprain (unless biased blind fans that haven't watched the games)

I like Zeppe when it comes to pocket awerness and going through his reads, and Jones has still bad habits that he has to overcome, but right now I think Jones is still the better option and vs MIN Mac was the least to blame for the defeat, played quite well against a very good Jets D# the week before as well

not ready to write him off, but would like to have an experienced OC, inovative play designer that can use the players to their strengths and has perhaps proven it already somewhere else instead of doing a "friend" a favour and let him learn on the job, can do that with a Brady or a veteran QB that is experienced & already many years in the league but not with rookies
we've seen 1 half of bad play from Zappe, I like how everyone uses that to prove that Mac is the better option. I'm not saying he is, or that I know the answer. I'm saying that I liked what I saw regarding fundamentals from a rookie, that has mostly outplayed Mac on his chances.

Jones needs to step up his game and have more performances like against the Vikings. They lost that game because of poor officiating and team mistakes, but Mac also had a chance to bring them in for the win in a clutch 4th quarter performance but did not. We need to see him make that jump as well. I will say that his receivers let him down on two attempts. But Mac also made some bonehead plays and wasted a timeout. So there is definitely blame to lay at his feet as well.

"Mac has regressed through little fault of his own" you are an apologist who refuses to lay little if any blame at the feet of the QB. If you simply admit that you're a blind Mac homer, it would be easier for everyone.

I'm more middle ground than you think. To me it's 60% on Mac and his decisions making, pocket awareness and movement. 40% on oline and coaching/play design. Which oline is a major product of coaching.

But hey, you don't have to agree with me. You can keep ugh'ing away.

I've spelled out for you through multiple posts in multiple threads how things work on a football team. Quarterbacks don't work in a vacuum, if the coaches felt Zappe was the better option he'd be playing, etc., etc. You don't want to believe these things. I am no Mac apologist. I am a realist, certainly not a "blind Mac homer." In my opinion the jury remains out on whether he's the answer to lead this offense long term. You, on the other hand, already have convicted him.

I've spelled out for you through multiple posts in multiple threads how things work on a football team. Quarterbacks don't work in a vacuum, if the coaches felt Zappe was the better option he'd be playing, etc., etc. You don't want to believe these things. I am no Mac apologist. I am a realist, certainly not a "blind Mac homer." In my opinion the jury remains out on whether he's the answer to lead this offense long term. You, on the other hand, already have convicted him.
I'm simply going by the numbers. They have been pathetic, up to the Vikings game. So let's see if Mac can build on that. You say you aren't a Mac apologist, but then say things that are the exact opposite. Just let it out man, get it off your chest. You'll feel so much better, come out of the Mac closet.

NE did not enter Red Zone in final 21 mins 43 secs vs 2nd worst 'total yds against' defense in NFL
Shame NE couldn't build off the first 38 mins 17 secs

Note: Mac is currently on pace for 10.5 passing TD passes this season (2.5 better than Cam in '20 though Cam had 12 rushing TDs vs Mac's 1)
I want us to build off last week and continue to improve. Hopefully, that's not too much to ask. Our O-line was better and Mac surely was better. Let's see if we can do this!!!!

Im just a counter point balance to the people who think the person throwing the ball has 0 accountability to how they play. It's very Zack Wilson of you

I'm more middle ground than you think.

There's nothing middle ground about any of your responses. You express complete "either/or" each time. In doing that, you contribute to the conversation devolving into an argument, devoid of anything useful or insightful, and instead just being a cheap, useless channel for emotional venting. Brings the whole forum down.

Matt Patricia's offense, per Tom Curran's Quick Slants show tonight. Note: the penalty numbers need clarification, will try to revisit this if possible.

Last eight games:
81 plays gained 0-2 yards
30 plays lost yards
26 sacks allowed
5 interceptions
4 lost fumbles
53 penalties accepted by opponents (unclear if this is offense only or combined offense/defense)

So far this season:
Only 20 offensive TDs in 11 games
Second in NFL offensive holding penalties
13 pre-snap penalties
23 more penalties than opponents, largest margin in NFL (again, unclear if this is offense only or combined offense/defense)

Weapons SHOULD be adequate:
Patriots have highest cap $$$ devoted to tight ends
Patriots have third-highest cap $$$ devoted to wide receivers

IMO, these numbers illustrate a poorly coached, undisciplined offensive unit led by a neophyte offensive coordinator in over his head PLUS lack of skilled, experienced offensive line coaching.

And Tunes, what's remarkable about this is that we should still be talking about how poorly coached and structured the defense is, given the nepotism and old boy network there. But the offense is so bad, it becomes the focus point.

Mac also missed 3+ games (not that he was lighting it up at the time) and Cam only missed one due to Covid (if memory serves).
Certainly don't want to diminish Corky's dynamic 6 TD passes in 8 starts pace which projects to be 12.75 passing TDs and 2.125 rushing TDs in a full 17 game season

1669820887898.png

There's nothing middle ground about any of your responses. You express complete "either/or" each time. In doing that, you contribute to the conversation devolving into an argument, devoid of anything useful or insightful, and instead just being a cheap, useless channel for emotional venting. Brings the whole forum down.
I've posted plenty of stats, you just don't like them. And I've also posted percentage fault plenty of times. You think a good forum is where everyone agrees and jerks you off?

I want us to build off last week and continue to improve. Hopefully, that's not too much to ask. Our O-line was better and Mac surely was better. Let's see if we can do this!!!!
Come on, Ashley...

...stop making so much sense! ;)

And Tunes, what's remarkable about this is that we should still be talking about how poorly coached and structured the defense is, given the nepotism and old boy network there. But the offense is so bad, it becomes the focus point.

The defense is looking a lot like last season: lights out vs. bad quarterbacks, vulnerable vs. good ones. Little has changed there, maybe they're a smidgen better if that. I have to think Barmore's absence has hurt them.

In a perfect world, BOB or someone else familiar with the system would've taken over the offense, an experienced OL coach would've been hired and BB would have directed his energies to the defense.

It’s crazy to put this all on Matt Patricia. It’s been a combination Horror show with Bill Belichick, Matt Jones, Patricia, and judge all playing starring roles. Ultimately, the Lionshare of blame should probably go to Bill and to Mac. Something different is needed with this team. If Bill does not make some changes after this season that is probably a sign that for Kraft, it may be time to move on.

Our best offensive output last week. Hope we build off of it going forward.
Except it disappeared in the 4th. And if they don't have similar overall production against Buffalo then you probably can attribute to the bump to Minnesota's 31st ranked defense.

I'm more curious about the Patriots defense. They completely stifled hacks like Ehlinger and Wilson but then got torched by Cousins who's no Josh Allen. Buffalo's last 9 drives (that weren't end of game situations) against the Patriots have all resulted in TDs. That's quite an ominous streak.

The Patriots choose not to commit to the run.

Thirteen (13) total carries Thursday night.

Plenty of opportunities to take control of the game, squandered by dropping the quarterback back to pass on 3rd & 1 etc.

The Patriots fail to protect their quarterback and their defense by abandoning the run prior to the opening kickoff.

Tony Eason and Drew Bledsoe had plenty of totally deceptive individual statistically effective games over 7-8 year purgatories when our only chance was for the coaches to rely mostly on the run which they usually (especially in Super Bowls at New Orleans) refused to do.

This is why we will continue indefinitely to be a losing football team with wasted talent and effort in all three phases.

... sodium pentothal starting to wear off...

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back