PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buy low- Carson Wentz

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
A key principle of investing is to buy when the stock is low and sell when it is high. For the patriots this principle applies to Carson Wentz. I feel this would be a great time to try to trade for Wentz. I think you could get him for a second round pick, which I would do in a second. It would be great value and I think within the Pats structure he would rapidly return to his old form and allow for Pats to be a top contender for years to come. They will have the cap dollars next year to absorb the financial hit.

The key principle of investing is to buy low on something that is abnormally low and should/will be higher not to buy low stocks with no value.

Carson Wentz is crap. If you think Cam's pocket awarneness is bad, wait until you watch Wentz every week.

Hard pass.

Last edited:
Wentz is making $25.4 million fully guaranteed in new money next year. If he on the roster for 2021, then $15 million of his $22 million 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed. That's either a one year, $40 million or two year, $47 million commitment. That's not buying low.

The Eagles are going to try to give away Wentz for free this offseason, and they're not going to find any takers. They might be able to get rid of him if they include a pick, comparable to the Osweiler trade.

Wentz is making $25.4 million fully guaranteed in new money next year. If he on the roster for 2021, then $15 million of his $22 million 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed. That's either a one year, $40 million or two year, $47 million commitment. That's not buying low.

The Eagles are going to try to give away Wentz for free this offseason, and they're not going to find any takers. They might be able to get rid of him if they include a pick, comparable to the Osweiler trade.
This. No one is going to trade for that contract. His contract also makes him almost untradeable since he would be a $60 million dollar cap hit if he's not on the roster next year. He is a broken player. Holds the ball forever, makes poor decisions, injury prone, and he doesn't seem to be the most loved guy in the locker room. I would rather have Sam Darnold 10x over than Wentz all things factored in.

Not so sure...

Philly should send us or another team a 2nd round pick for getting that salary off their books.

I mentioned this on Sunday. Intriguing in theory and I'd love to see a guy like him here but why would he hit The Cliff (TM Kellerman) almost overnight? Manning and Favre also hit The Cliff suddenly but look at their ages - they were at the end. Not at age 28. Has to be something going on. Injury?

They can't cut him for the next couple of years because it would be a franchise crippling cap hit. Trading him would require a restructure for the same reason.

If he reworked the contract, maybe for a 3rd at best. No way I’d take him n that contract though

HUGE contract extension in 2019, always injured ... no thank you

No to Wentz. It may be coaching, system, or he may be broken, no thanks.

Its not easy to find a franchise QB. Have to take some risks. Patriots are not getting a franchise QB in draft this year and even if they find someone promising it will take years to develop. Cam and Stidham are not Championship caliber QB's. Yes Wentz is costly from a $ perspective, but he was once MVP material and viewed widely as a top 5 QB.

The next Patrick Mahomes is not walking through the locker room door any time soon.

Its not easy to find a franchise QB. Have to take some risks. Patriots are not getting a franchise QB in draft this year and even if they find someone promising it will take years to develop. Cam and Stidham are not Championship caliber QB's. Yes Wentz is costly from a $ perspective, but he was once MVP material and viewed widely as a top 5 QB.

The next Patrick Mahomes is not walking through the locker room door any time soon.

I rather they fix their holes in the draft and wait next year to draft a QB. The QB class next year might be on par with this one.

I'm all in for Wentz. If somehow they can make the contract work. Or renegotiate it. Wentz's issue is with the play calling from Pederson. It's terrible and has eroded his confidence. Throw in all those injuries to the O-line and you have a train wreck.
If the price was right I would take him on as a reclamation project. Watch the Eagles fans heads explode when he wins here in New England.

The OP seems a bit confused. Getting Carson Wentz after this season is buying at the top. Paying full price for a depreciating asset. If you want a true example of buying low - take a look at Cam Newton's contract: Less than a million for one year!

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back