PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Burgess a no-show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it was dispelled. After both ESPN and the NFL Network mocked the selection, the Raiders announced that they had to take Mitchell with this pick because he would have been chosen by another team w/in a few picks (I want to say Atlanta). After making those comments, the other team (again, I think it was Atlanta) said there was no truth to it.

Sounds like the Raiders got seriously punked.

But as for Mitchell not being a combine invite...neither was the guy picked #58.

chicago was supposedly interested in Mitchell...but you dont' know at what round.

Heyward-Bey was considered a huge reach in that they could have traded down and still got him. Not that he's that great in teh first place.

Just a note, if the Raiders hadn't taken Mike Mitchell when they did, There were several other teams who wanted to take him.
I don't recall that. What teams? Several? Sorry, not buying that. To me, Mitchell was a "who?????" pick typical of Davis this year and to some extent the last few years.

Mitchell was totally off my charts (not that I'm an expert by any means) but I don't recall him being mentioned ever except comments about the Raiders reaching. Time will tell, and he could be an all-Pro. My bet, though, is that he is just another Al Davis weird pick.

Db is correct in that at least Chicago was reported to have been interested in Mitchell, there may have been other reports for other teams, but since I focus my reading on New England I may have missed them.

Mitchell not being invited to the Combine isn't significant, Vollmer wasn't either and NE is getting panned by the same lame pundits who are attacking Oakland. The kids invited to the Combine are invited by scouts, who are not above trying to hide a prospect if they believe the kid hasn't drawn much interest.

While I believe Oakland took Mitchell too early - and with Oakland's recent track record of developing players it's likely that alone is enough to kill his career hopes - it's typical punditry garbage to run down any prospect not taken on "their" schedule, see Mankins, Logan (Fresno State).

What the f*** does Mike Mitchell have to do with Burgess being a no-show at training camp. Way to high jack the thread!

Derrick Burgess

The Raiders are reportedly willing to part with DE Derrick Burgess in exchange for third- and fourth-round picks.
They might be able to get a fourth-rounder, but two quality picks seems unlikely. The Patriots are commonly connected to Burgess, but they'd need him in camp sooner than later because he's never played in a 3-4 system like Bill Belichick's. Burgess will be a backup if he stays with Oakland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents