Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
For the 2022 season the patriots have 2 players so far, Shaq Mason and joe Cardona.
Kind of funny to think that the entire team in 3 years will be built from here forward, with the exception of a g and ls.

To add to this, last years team had 13 players that were on the team in 2014, but most (if any) were not under contract through 2018, so there will be some of the same players under new contracts.

By comparison about 12 players under contract now played on the 2014 team.

Right but most or maybe all were not under contract through 2019 at the time. After I posted the thread I realized that’s an important consideration

I guess BB looked ahead and did the math on the $$$ and figured Mason at 9M was a better deal than Flowers at 16M+...

The influx of new blood needs to start soon, as many of the key contributors to this most recent championship are not necessarily around bt 2020 : Gronk, Edelman, HT, Brady, Slater, DMac... That core, while still effective, was unusually healthy in 2018.

Here's hoping signings, draft picks, and young talent already in Foxborough can keep this train rolling. I am as excited about seeing Wynn & Bentley (with progression from JC and even Crossen) as I am about this April's picks.

For the 2022 season the patriots have 2 players so far, Shaq Mason and joe Cardona.
Kind of funny to think that the entire team in 3 years will be built from here forward, with the exception of a g and ls.
Wynn and Sony will be under team control via the 5th year option if exercised

Right but most or maybe all were not under contract through 2019 at the time. After I posted the thread I realized that’s an important consideration

Yes, and some might get extensions.

And I think more than half of those were on the 2011 super bowl squad as well, the true core:

Brady
Gost
Gronk
Jules
Devin
Chung
Slater

(And Hoyer, but he doesn't count in my game here)

The lesser half from 2014 is good too:

High
Ebner
White
Develin
Cannon
Harmon
Allen

(I guess Gost and Allen aren't under contract at this moment.)

Last edited:
And I think more than half of those were on the 2011 super bowl squad as well, the true core:

Brady
Gost
Gronk
Jules
Devin
Chung
Slater

(And Hoyer, but he doesn't count in my game here)

The lesser half from 2014 is good too:

High
Ebner
White
Develin
Cannon
Harmon
Allen

(I guess Gost and Allen aren't under contract at this moment.)
How is Hightower in the “lesser half”. He may be the second most important player to the 3 championships on the list.

How is Hightower in the “lesser half”. He may be the second most important player to the 3 championships on the list.

My impression is that the players are separated by those who were on the 2011 roster and those who were not.

What Hercules wrote, I was just separating by the 2011 players vs. the others. "Lesser" was certainly tongue in cheek and I agree about Hightower.

It's true that Mason has the longest contract but its a leap to say the team is building around him. I dont see the connection between the two statements. If one were to argue they are building around Brady by improving their running game I would agree but just because Mason has the longest deal right now doesnt mean they are building around him.

It's true that Mason has the longest contract but its a leap to say the team is building around him. I dont see the connection between the two statements. If one were to argue they are building around Brady by improving their running game I would agree but just because Mason has the longest deal right now doesnt mean they are building around him.
It was a joke.

I guess BB looked ahead and did the math on the $$$ and figured Mason at 9M was a better deal than Flowers at 16M+...

The influx of new blood needs to start soon, as many of the key contributors to this most recent championship are not necessarily around bt 2020 : Gronk, Edelman, HT, Brady, Slater, DMac... That core, while still effective, was unusually healthy in 2018.

Here's hoping signings, draft picks, and young talent already in Foxborough can keep this train rolling. I am as excited about seeing Wynn & Bentley (with progression from JC and even Crossen) as I am about this April's picks.

I'm definitely curious to see how salary figures for guards and centers will evolve over the next few years (and tackles too I guess, but less so since they're already high). I think we're about to see their salaries go up as a percentage of overall cap, and Belichick was wise to get ahead of that. And specifically, I wouldn't be shocked if some of this comes at the expense of giving long-term money to mediocre QBs. If teams take one thing away from the last 5 years, it could well be that you're better off spending extra on your OL then drafting a QB and trying to win in his rookie contract window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back