PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building my Patriots Big Board: RB's and FB's

With Gaffney now gone, do you all favor double dipping at RB, with 2 picks before the end of the 4th?

We'd still be able to draft the needed CB and OT early.

RB is the only real need for 2016 - and its getting more urgent by the day it seems
(Blount might be burned, and who knows when and in what condition Lewis turns up)
so I wouldn't be surprised with RB early
also CB is more of a gamble, harder to see what you're getting, and vet experience counts more

With Gaffney now gone, do you all favor double dipping at RB, with 2 picks before the end of the 4th?

We'd still be able to draft the needed CB and OT early.
Don't think Gaffney had anything to do with the draft plans. Could see one RB on Day Two, don't see two.

RB is the only real need for 2016 - and its getting more urgent by the day it seems
(Blount might be burned, and who knows when and in what condition Lewis turns up)
so I wouldn't be surprised with RB early
also CB is more of a gamble, harder to see what you're getting, and vet experience counts more
Lewis is on track for camp, no guarantees with an ACL but his was mid-season, plenty of time to get back for the start of the season.

The Pats could try to add 2 RBs but idk.

I like Lewis, White, Develin and Bolden all for different reasons.

I think you need a between the tackles guy but do you really want to commit 6 bodies to the ground game?

Lewis of course is your pass catching RB and 3rd down back.
White is needed to back him him due to injury concerns and the fact he is a pretty good 3rd down back himself.
Develin is a solid FB who does a lot of dirty work and fills a nice niche.
Bolden is a ST staple and a guy who can back up everything.

I don't see the point of knocking any of these guys off or trying to upgrade them.

I think all 4 are keepers which means you only go 1 more RB.

I think you need a between the tackles guy but do you really want to commit 6 bodies to the ground game?

White is needed to back him him due to injury concerns and the fact he is a pretty good 3rd down back himself.

I don't see the point of knocking any of these guys off or trying to upgrade them.

agree
but the 1 (big) is a great need
so you might as well go early

the 2nd can be late for backup and development
or middle to challenge white

So, let's review

3rd down back - Lewis, White and Bolden (you're fine with this)
ST back - Bolden (you're fine with this)
fullback - no problems with Develin
=======
So, now that we've used up 4 roster, you are willing to allocate ONE roster spot to our 1st down, power back, with no backup. I guess I'm not buying.

I'm fine with keeping White through the preseason in case lewis isn't 100%. However, I would like to see a power back and a backup, especially if you're counting on draft choices.

So, let's review

3rd down back - Lewis, White and Bolden (you're fine with this)
ST back - Bolden (you're fine with this)
fullback - no problems with Develin
=======
So, now that we've used up 4 roster, you are willing to allocate ONE roster spot to our 1st down, power back, with no backup. I guess I'm not buying.

I'm fine with keeping White through the preseason in case lewis isn't 100%. However, I would like to see a power back and a backup, especially if you're counting on draft choices.

Bolden is also a back up power back. as is develin for very short yardage. Also you don't always need power and frankly sometimes a little shake and bake on 3rd and 1 will serve you better.

The idea you need a power back is a bit overrated imo. It is nice to have but you can certainly win without it. If you don't have a 3rd down back particularly in this offense you are screwed though.

Bolden is also a back up power back. as is develin for very short yardage. Also you don't always need power and frankly sometimes a little shake and bake on 3rd and 1 will serve you better.

The idea you need a power back is a bit overrated imo. It is nice to have but you can certainly win without it. If you don't have a 3rd down back particularly in this offense you are screwed though.

I think your right to a point. I think d. Lewis was pretty underrated as a runner for us. But I do think we need someone who can actually be a consistent threat to run the ball and also keep the defenses honest. I'm hoping for Keith Marshall in the later rounds.

I guess the idea of not needing a 1st down back is a bit strange to me.

I think Bolden is a backup 3rd down back.

I'm fine with using whoever on 3rd and 1, although using a RB has considerable advantage, especially with blockers like Gronk.

I'm fine with using whoever on 3rd and 1, although using a RB has considerable advantage, especially with blockers like Gronk.

Well just to be clear of course ideally you want a good power between the tackles running. Why would you not? You want to be able to do as many things on O as possible. I am simply saying usually those between the tackles guys get shutdown in the playoffs anyway and you are stuck passing. The rare exceptions like Terrell Davis and Lynch who can consistently get it done. But they are very rare and still didn't often carry their teams to victory.

It is an option you want just a lot of people rank it higher than me on the list.

I am with you mgteich. I even said in my report that I would not be surprised if the Patriots double dipped. It is a wide open position and with that many picks, take one early and take one late.

I am with you mgteich. I even said in my report that I would not be surprised if the Patriots double dipped. It is a wide open position and with that many picks, take one early and take one late.

I'm hoping that would be the case. If we were to take a rb late id hope it would be Keith Marshall. He still has plenty of upside. Or maybe even terron beckham. He's a block of muscle and looks like he can learn how to play rb.

I'm hoping that would be the case. If we were to take a rb late id hope it would be Keith Marshall. He still has plenty of upside. Or maybe even terron beckham. He's a block of muscle and looks like he can learn how to play rb.

Tyler Ervin is someone they've worked out. Daniel Lasco is another. Both are fast quick guys who could be late round possibilities. But, Kelvin Taylor really seems to fit the type of character BB likes and he's never fumbled. If I had to put money on a second back, it would probably be him.

I am with you mgteich. I even said in my report that I would not be surprised if the Patriots double dipped. It is a wide open position and with that many picks, take one early and take one late...
…and also sign 1 or 2 as UDFAs...

Gaffney is back. Does this change any of the projected draft strategies? I don't want to count on him, necessarily, but it's a good reminder that roster-building is a fluid process.

Gaffney is back. Does this change any of the projected draft strategies? I don't want to count on him, necessarily, but it's a good reminder that roster-building is a fluid process.
It doesn't change anything for me. Gaffney was a 6th round pick for a reason and since then has been on Injured reserve his entire career.

Interesting comp for Jonathan Williams in this youtube scouting report from Football Gameplan. He comps him to Duce Staley. I can see that.

By the by, when the Brady decision was handed down today, Jonathan Williams immediately tweeted "leave Tom alone". Is it possible for me to love him anymore? You betcha!

I doubt the Brady suspension will change how bb and co. go into this draft, but I'm hoping a workhorse rb is selected. With Brady being out the first four games I think JimmyG needs to have as many "safety blankets" as possible. In the passing game I think we have enough weapons to make it easy on him.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back