PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building A Team With A QB Who Is Close To The Top 10

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) We are not likely to have an elite QB. It could happen. We have 5 more years with Jones.
2) We may now have a top 10 QB, or not.
3) We have a QB for low money for the next four years, and we have the rights to him for another.
============================
At most, 10 teams are in the SB over a five-year time period. What is the best plan to be one of them?

IMO, it is difficult to be a SB team without an elite QB. It can happen. What would it take? It would take building a very strong roster around the quarterback. That isn't done in a year or even two. We had a year of transition. We are now in Year 2 of our QB.

Going into last offseason, this team was a disaster. The team drafted well and spent more money in free agency than anyone in the league. Getting to the playoffs was an incredible accomplishment. All but message board posters understand that.
==============
2022 and BEYOND
We aren't favored to be in the playoffs. We are unlikely to have one of the 6 top AFC QB's in the AFC this year. We will fight for the playoffs, as we did last year. However, success this year and beyond is going to be based on building a much stronger roster.

Let's look at the CLE example. They got their QB. They build around him. They won their first playoff game in decades. The QB was injured and had a mediocre season in 2021.

CLE had the roster, but weren't sure of their QB going forward, and wouldn't commit. Going into 2022, they were a playoff team without a top 10 QB. CLE knew they needed to get a QB this year or next. Their roster was ready to compete with the best. CLE went out and made a simple bet, that Watson will be healthy. He is clearly an elite QB. If CLE loses their bet, the very worst result would be that they will go back to what they were before this 5-year run (going on 10 with Watson).

And we are in a similar position that CLE was 3 years ago. We are in Year 2 of Jones. We will build a team. If Jones doesn't develop into an elite QB, we'll likely move on a try again, this time with a quality team BEFORE securing our next QB or continuing with Jones. We could even draft a QB as early as 2023, while continuing to build the roster.

Hopefully Mac continues to improve and become an elite QB. In the meantime Nick Foles was never elite, Joe Flacco wasn’t a top ten QB in 2012 when they won a Super Bowl, not in yards or QB Rating. The best team wins.

Brady - GOAT
Rogers - SB Champ
Wilson - SB Champ
Mahomes -SB Champ
Stafford SB Champ
Burrow - Been to a SB
Ryan - Been to a SB
Allen - Best QB in the AFCE
Herbert - Rising NFL star

Where to fit

Jones
Carr
Watson - Highly sought after QB. Would Jones be?
Jackson
Dak
Lawrence

Im expecting Jones to have a tough season.

1 All his 2021 film has been examined with a microscope. Somebody will find something to use against him in 2022.
2 He will have a new OC or someone serving in McDaniel's old role.
3 The NE OL will have to gel with new guys.
4 Still do not see a dynamic WR.

Brady - GOAT
Rogers - SB Champ
Wilson - SB Champ
Mahomes -SB Champ
Stafford SB Champ
Burrow - Been to a SB
Ryan - Been to a SB
Allen - Best QB in the AFCE
Herbert - Rising NFL star

Where to fit

Jones
Carr
Watson - Highly sought after QB. Would Jones be?
Jackson
Dak
Lawrence

Im expecting Jones to have a tough season.

1 All his 2021 film has been examined with a microscope. Somebody will find something to use against him in 2022.
2 He will have a new OC or someone serving in McDaniel's old role.
3 The NE OL will have to gel with new guys.
4 Still do not see a dynamic WR.
that's 14 to compare with Jones

Not only do you need the QB, you need the weapons also.

Last SB winners:

Stafford - Kupp, Odell
Brady - Evans, Godwin
Mahomes - Kelce, Hill

Then you look at the contenders. They all have weapons and in most cases multiple weapons.

We can’t send Mac into a gun fight with a water pistol

We may now have a top 10 QB, or not.

Brady
Mahomes
Rodgers
Allen
Wilson
Watson
Herbert
Burrow
Stafford
Jackson
Prescott
Murray

Tough to see a path into the top 10 for him, this year.

Brady
Mahomes
Rodgers
Allen
Wilson
Watson
Herbert
Burrow
Stafford
Jackson
Prescott
Murray

IMO Mac will be a better QB then Jackson and Murray in 2022. Fight me.

No need. That would still put Mac outside of the top 10.

Not only do you need the QB, you need the weapons also.

Last SB winners:

Stafford - Kupp, Odell
Brady - Evans, Godwin
Mahomes - Kelce, Hill

Then you look at the contenders. They all have weapons and in most cases multiple weapons.

We can’t send Mac into a gun fight with a water pistol
Yip. You need weapons to succeed. The defenses will still show up in the playoffs but you need some sort of firepower

Jackson is a MVP and was playing really good until the Ravens injuries caught up to them. I wouldn't put Mac above Lamar yet...Murray is a different story he's soft

Jackson is a MVP and was playing really good until the Ravens injuries caught up to them. I wouldn't put Mac above Lamar yet...Murray is a different story he's soft
Don’t agree with Jackson but all good

10 but whatever. Very ok with that (season 2) if that’s the case.

Nah, because if you're going to just assume progress on Jones pushing him past a recent former MVP like Jackson, I'm going to do the same thing with guys like Lawrence.

I mean opinions are great but nothing that has actually happened on the field supports this. The disrespect is crazy lol. I think we need less opinion, more facts and logic.

Brady
Mahomes
Rodgers
Allen
Wilson
Watson
Herbert
Burrow
Stafford
Jackson
Prescott
Murray

I'd add Carr to that list.

Yip. You need weapons to succeed. The defenses will still show up in the playoffs but you need some sort of firepower
Yup. The Patriots dynasty made people forget how important superstar receievers and skill position players are.

2000s Colts and broncos with Peyton had excellent receiving cores

70s steelers had Lynn Swann, John Stallworth

90s broncos had Elway, but also had Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe, rod Smith

90s Cowboys- the Triplets, Larry Johnston, Orlando pace

94 -49ers - Steve young, Jerry Rice, deion Sanders

Disagree....

It made me think that a better defense was needed. 13 seconds? Shameful....
That game said more about the Bills secondary, coaching, and the impact of Kelce and Hill than it did about Mahomes.

Proof? Look at how the Bengals embarrass mahomes the next week.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back