PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi to Ochocinco: 'Join the system, buddy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it ironic/funny that a reknowned media hog like Bruschi (when he was a player he NEVER met a camera and microphone he didn't like) is even commenting on this.

Seriously, if ever there was a guy who needed a camera or microphone as oxygen it was our Tedy.

If Twitter existed when he played as widely as it is now, he would have broken the operating system.

I love the guy and he is one of my all-time favorite Patriots, but this a good example of the pot calling the kettle black.

Bull. Tedy does have a twitter account...is part of the media....hell, he should be breaking Twitter now. He isn't.

I know a great many of you are just start struck at the sensation that is Ochocino....and kudos for him for creating it. He's a super marketer and brand manager. But lets get real, he's not what he used to be and does appear to have issues understanding the offense. Spare me the lock-out crap. Burress looked okay and he was in jail for two years and endured a lock-out. Oh, I know, the Patriots system is sooooo complicated it takes a rocket scientist to get it. Does Rob Gronkowski seem like a bright bulb to you folks? C'mon. Ocho will never live up to expectations...and perhaps the expectations were too high for a guy on the downside of his career. Chad is a media sensation with diminishing skills. Period.

Last edited:
I'm fascinated how divisive this has become.

I'm definetly in the camp that Twitter is a giant waste of time (but posting on Patsfans isn't :) ) and players (or anyone for that matter) that think their every movement or thought is newsworthy are over compensating for their insecurities. And I still can't get a handle on why anyone would feel the need to follow a player's Tweets. Do you yourself feel famous for having meaningless contact with a famous person? "Hey, my pretend friend Ocho just filled up his Prius with $12 of gas....awesome!" Does knowing when a famous player's taking a crap give you greater satisfaction than learning when a regular Joe is taking a dump?

And I can understand the resentment toward Bruschi on this matter. Serious fans must be feeling a sense of betrayal by someone they hold in high esteem. They feel Bruschi has broken the bond the fan thought he had with him regarding their common bond....the Patriots.

To the Bruschi is bad group, just curious if you would prefer Bruschi to assume the Lou Holtz role as the babbling homer ( poor Notre Dame)? "All's good in Foxborough.... we can pull this one out....our boys are ready....blah blah blah."

Personally, I think Tedy has correctly read the Chad situation and just happened to use the Tweet as his chance to lay down some ground fire. If not the Tweet yesterday, it would have been spurred on by something else today or tomorrow. He doesn't like what he's seeing from Chad and he finally voiced his opinion....very strongly

I generally agre with you on this but I am pretty sure ESPN had to have given a green light to this......

I know a great many of you are just start struck at the sensation that is Ochocino....and kudos for him for creating it. He's a super marketer and brand manager. But lets get real, he's not what he used to be and does appear to have issues understanding the offense. Spare me the lock-out crap. Burress looked okay and he was in jail for two years and endured a lock-out. Oh, I know, the Patriots system is sooooo complicated it takes a rocket scientist to get it. Does Rob Gronkowski seem like a bright bulb to you folks? C'mon. Ocho will never live up to expectations...and perhaps the expectations were too high for a guy on the downside of his career. Chad is a media sensation with diminishing skills. Period.

So you accuse us of being "start struck" even though most of us arguing in his defense are simply saying it's too early to conclude anything about Johnson, either way. I think that's a defensible position.

You, on the other hand, had already deemed him a failure the moment he walked through the door, based on pretty much nothing at all. I think that's an indefensible position.

So you accuse us of being "start struck" even though most of us arguing in his defense are simply saying it's too early to conclude anything about Johnson, either way. I think that's a defensible position.

You, on the other hand, had already deemed him a failure the moment he walked through the door, based on pretty much nothing at all. I think that's an indefensible position.

Because I knew what I was getting. A player who was more hype than substance. I hope he gets it and I hope he contributes. I'm just not expecting it.

Because I knew what I was getting. A player who was more hype than substance. I hope he gets it and I hope he contributes. I'm just not expecting it.

More hype than substance? You're basing this claim off what, exactly?

Try to remember that Bruschi isn't calling out CJ for his play (or lack thereof). He's calling him out for an attitude that even CJ himself may not realize isn't conducive to progression with this team.

If anyone thinks Brady is going to throw a teammate under the bus in the media, they are sorely mistaken. Keep in mind that this is the same Brady who froze Moss out of the offense due to his attitude, yet will say "I'd love to play with him again" until the day he dies. If you spend $5,000,000 on a player, it is not a stretch to believe that every ounce of his focus should be on contributing to the team.

That being said, it is also important to remember Branch, Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Woodhead, BJGE, and Slater are all very healthy and know the system very well. Chances are high that all 7 of them will not be able to maintain that health for the entire season. If we don't need 85 to be productive in weeks 1-4, why force him into service while he continues to acclimate and those guys are healthy?

Once guys start getting dinged up and CJ is pressed into service, that will be the time to worry about his on-field contributions (which, again, Bruschi is not really referring to). Brady has said "we're going to need him", leading me to believe that getting CJ involved is not something the team has decided to rush into willy-nilly.

I'm fascinated how divisive this has become.

I'm definetly in the camp that Twitter is a giant waste of time (but posting on Patsfans isn't :) ) and players (or anyone for that matter) that think their every movement or thought is newsworthy are over compensating for their insecurities. And I still can't get a handle on why anyone would feel the need to follow a player's Tweets. Do you yourself feel famous for having meaningless contact with a famous person? "Hey, my pretend friend Ocho just filled up his Prius with $12 of gas....awesome!" Does knowing when a famous player's taking a crap give you greater satisfaction than learning when a regular Joe is taking a dump?

And I can understand the resentment toward Bruschi on this matter. Serious fans must be feeling a sense of betrayal by someone they hold in high esteem. They feel Bruschi has broken the bond the fan thought he had with him regarding their common bond....the Patriots.

To the Bruschi is bad group, just curious if you would prefer Bruschi to assume the Lou Holtz role as the babbling homer ( poor Notre Dame)? "All's good in Foxborough.... we can pull this one out....our boys are ready....blah blah blah."

Personally, I think Tedy has correctly read the Chad situation and just happened to use the Tweet as his chance to lay down some ground fire. If not the Tweet yesterday, it would have been spurred on by something else today or tomorrow. He doesn't like what he's seeing from Chad and he finally voiced his opinion....very strongly

I'm dying to hear his and your analysis of the post game hand shake next. What other divinations have you come up with?

I generally agre with you on this but I am pretty sure ESPN had to have given a green light to this......

I doubt the ESPN bureaucracy could have manufactured this controversy in 6 minutes....unlesssssss.....Bruschi was waiting by his Tweeter machine, patiently anticipating an Ocho misfire. The tweet arrives. Bristol is ready. Green light, Green light. Go Tedy....release release. And boom ....48 hours are manufactured TV drama......God Bless America, land that I love ......Lord Favre out........enter Bruschi/Ocho........get Verizon on the phone, we need upgrades

I'll take this one on :)

Bruschi is a NFL analyst and what I expect from him now is to analyze NFL play in a unique way that gives the viewer more insight into specific play on the field.

I'd have no problem with Tedy jumping in and saying "I'm worried about Ocho not picking up this offense. Watch this play here {cue to the monitor and the slomo replay :cool: }, Watch Ocho run this pattern, see how he incuts here, well, its clear that Brady was expecting an outcut so that he could throw a back shoulder pass. These two are just operating on two different playbooks and that's not good".

That helpful analysis because it helps us to understand the dynamics at play. It also demonstrates that Ocho might really not be getting it. We are judging Ocho not "getting it" on a tweet, 1 bonehead penalty and a quiet night. He might not be, but we need more time and more evidence to figure it out.

Haynesworth didn't get a sack either. Is he not getting it either?

Screaming from the soapbox at a player for a 130 char tweet on his day off like your still the team captain and going to impact the current lockerroom is typical Mediot crap. It's no different then Borges writing an article saying "Tom Brady is old and the clock is ticking". We all killed him for that just yesterday.

When Tedy was in the locker room, I had different expectation and calling this player out (in private) is what he should and would have done. He is a NFL analyst and his job is not to help motivate a player on a specific team. His job is to analyze different aspects of the game to help morons like us understand it better.

Hope that helps :D

Last edited:
Re: Bruschis take on the Miami game

Bruschi was unnecessarily harsh in his remarks. Deion Branch made similar comments as Ochocinco, and even Lord Belichick himself admitted to being impressed.

Last edited:
I'm dying to hear his and your analysis of the post game hand shake next. What other divinations have you come up with?

What's Edelman up to? Still sleeping? Keep us posted

Try to remember that Bruschi isn't calling out CJ for his play (or lack thereof). He's calling him out for an attitude that even CJ himself may not realize isn't conducive to progression with this team.
You mean for tweeting, like numerous other Patriot players do?

I'm using it in the colloquial sense, not the Freudian terminology: Psychoanalysis | Define Psychoanalysis at Dictionary.com

a systematic structure of theories concerning the relation of conscious and unconscious psychological processes.

Of course you are. See below:

No. I'm not. And even the definition says I'm not. Because I am not delving into he's unconcious psychological processes. And telling yourself otherwise is just foolishness on your part, Jack.

Interesting logic chain you've assembled, but I still see no evidence that being filled with awe precludes one from being fully focused. But this essentially confirms what I've argued all along. You're taking a word from Johnson's Twitter and divining it to mean that his shortcomings on the field can be attributed to him not being fully focused. Hocum, if you ask me.

*lol* Sorry, Jack. But it doesn't confirm anything you've said. I am taking the entirety of what Chad said and using the meanings of the words to come to my conclusion. That is NOT divining anything. It's taking the words at face value. And I have not said word one about Chad's production on the field. That is your conjecture.

Chris Price just tweeted that he talked to Christian Fauria a couple weeks back and that Fauria said basically the same thing about Chad.

So, we've got 3 former Patriots (Fauria, Harrison, Bruschi) who have said that Chad needs to get get with the program.

But, all you Chad supporters are right... Chad is doing everything he can.. :rolleyes:

I read the entire thread because of all the good comments on both sides.

I'm coming down on the side of those who think Tedy overreacted. I don't think 85 should have sent that Tweet, it's just not how the Patriots do things; but old habits die hard and there was no malice, that I could perceive. Ochocinco is in a new system. According to all reports, he's busting his butt. If he starts moping around and making diva-like noises a month from now, I'll take a different view.

The Mankins comparison is unfair. He fulfilled his contractual obligations, made his point and got his extension. He shouldn't have said what he said, but he's a hot-blooded young guy in a business where Dan Koppen reminded us on Monday night how fragile a career can be. Bottom Line: if the Krafts could get past it, I can get past it.

I'm not going to rip Tedy for this and I'm not going to agree with those who say he's just another mediot now. He's passionate about the Pats and he said something he should have held back or rephrased. But he still has a lot of chits to burn in my book before I'll turn on him.

Last edited:
More hype than substance? You're basing this claim off what, exactly?

Watching him. People make him out to be an older Larry Fitzgerald - he was never a young Fitzgerald in the first place. He does great TD celebrations though ;)

You mean for tweeting, like numerous other Patriot players do?

- No, not for tweeting. Was it really hard to grasp what Bruschi's focus was?

- It would be surprising to me if people don't see the difference in expected attitudes between a 21-year old rookie and a 10-year veteran of the league who is guaranteed $5 million. I'm not saying it's OK for a young kid to act immature and not OK for a veteran, but it's plain to see why it would anger Bruschi more to see it from the veteran.

Because it's not Tedy's job to motivate Ocho, that belongs EXCLUSIVELY to current Patriots....... He's the outsider now (you may not like that, but it's true). Calling him out on National TV does NOT help Ocho learn the system faster.

There were plenty of dumb penalties the other day. Gronk 2.0 had a pretty dumb one too and nobody said a word. Ocho was only in for 18 plays. He was only targeted 3 times. He made one nice catch, and had one non-call which he was definitely interfered with. Not much production to be sure, but not nothing.

Ocho didn't get much opportunity, that could be for lots of reasons, one of which might have been the style of offense they were employing. The hurry-up required people that know exactly where to be and when to be there. Ocho's not there yet and wasn't in the plan. Next week, he may be in the plans and have 10 catches. Let's not all pretend we know what and how the Patriots operate and what/how they deploy their roster on gameday.

Lets not forget......... Galloway had a piss-poor attitude here and refused to run certain routes correctly. Different situation than Ocho entirely.

Exactly.

This does not help the team at all in fact it creates a negative effect on the team and his development within the team's offense. He could have talked to him personally and gave him some advice, or something to lift his spirit while struggling to learn the playbooks.

Shame on Bruschi for this.

Chris Price just tweeted that he talked to Christian Fauria a couple weeks back and that Fauria said basically the same thing about Chad.

So, we've got 3 former Patriots (Fauria, Harrison, Bruschi) who have said that Chad needs to get get with the program.

But, all you Chad supporters are right... Chad is doing everything he can.. :rolleyes:

It's pretty freakin' obvious. I'm really shocked at how some people apologize, excuse, or just disregard what is in front of them to see.

Last edited:
- No, not for tweeting. Was it really hard to grasp what Bruschi's focus was?

- It would be surprising to me if people don't see the difference in expected attitudes between a 21-year old rookie and a 10-year veteran of the league who is guaranteed $5 million. I'm not saying it's OK for a young kid to act immature and not OK for a veteran, but it's plain to see why it would anger Bruschi more to see it from the veteran.
It seemingly went beyond my grasp.

Please, do tell me what "attitude" Tedy is alluding too here because, from all accounts that I have read, Chad's attitude has been top notch while here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back