PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruins Playoff Discussion Thread

The Bruins, one of the most storied franchises in the NHL, have won only 3 Cups in 70 years. That shouldn’t happen.

The problem is and has been ownership. The Jacobs are cheap motherf.ckers, and they always will be. Sweeney has been operating with both arms tied behind his back, he’s done well but you need to invest in a great scouting department and be creative in free agency, and the Jacobs will never support that.

Unless you have a backstop that can make those saves when he has to.
I think scoring has been the bigger problem the past few years. The top line usually delivers but the other then three don’t. Re-signing Krecji and Hall could give them the foundation they will need for that going forward, but they will still need a top goalie when all is said and done.

I think you can win a cup with Rask, if he plays his best throughout the playoffs, other than that I agree with everything you said. I would prioritize Hall and Krecji. However when the playoffs come who ever you have in goal is going to have to play lights out to win it all, the NHL is simply loaded with great talent.
Sorry, but his record speaks for itself. Great talent is usually limited to the top two lines of every team. After that the skill drops off and it is based on which team finds the hardest working and most committed players left to run its system and schemes. That's where the netminder makes ALL of the difference. When you get to the Cup Finals, that's where you better have a goalie that can take his game up a notch. Rask proved he couldn't win the Cup in 2013 and 2019. The rest of the examples are simply ancillary.

Fcuk all the Rask haters, he's our goalie and he has the skills, but he can't do it by himself. It's a team sport. Let's take the next two and go kick some lightning ass.

True, but he apparently is not healthy, allowing four goals on 16 shots.

Rask is a snowflake who bailed on the Bruins last post season. Charas last shot to win another cup with the B's.

They had a safe space for him but that was not good enough. He probably drives around in his car alone with a mask on. Idiot.

Duhhhh, drrrrp, durrr, SNOWFLAKE! drrrrrp, duhhh, drrrrp, SAFE SPACE! durrrr, MASK! duhh, drrrp ...

Fcuk all the Rask haters, he's our goalie and he has the skills, but he can't do it by himself. It's a team sport. Let's take the next two and go kick some lightning ass.
No one hates Rask. I still root for him, but until he proves me wrong I don't think he can put this team on his back like Tim Thomas did in 2011. I actually love this team, but Bergy is in the twilight of his dominance as a center and really want to see him win another Cup. I would love nothing more than to have Rask prove me wrong.

Yep...Hard to tell what's worse: the incompetent, influence-peddled officiating or the blatantly obvious Islanders-cheerleading broadcasters in the booth...
Feels like watching a local Islanders telecast again with the guys in the booth moaning over every pro Bruins play and call.
wish i could agree with these by a thousand. i have to turn the sound off because of the islander, esp barzal , slobbering and the officiating in that last game was an abomination as i'm someone who's been watching and playing organized hockey since i was a kid. my other problem is when we can't get the puck out of our own end and it turns into a 5 on 5 powerplay because we go into a shell and teams know just swing the puck around the boards back to the point. i also hate when we take bad angles to the puck and when we wait for the puck to come to us. go get it in a straight line. and if you ever notice bruins sticks are always breaking. not sure what that is.....ahhh, there i feel better.

edit: and what is it with us skating backwards with the puck between our feet ?

Last edited:
No one hates Rask. I still root for him, but until he proves me wrong I don't think he can put this team on his back like Tim Thomas did in 2011. I actually love this team, but Bergy is in the twilight of his dominance as a center and really want to see him win another Cup. I would love nothing more than to have Rask prove me wrong
I've always been luke-warm over Rask. When I start to sour on him he comes back and plays well.

The Bruins will never win a Cup with Rask as their goalie.

I’m an Islander’s fan, but I have tremendous respect for the Bruins, always have. I always loved Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, I loved the way Terry O’Reilly played, love Bergeron, what a player. Maybe it’s because I’m a Patriot’s fan, but I love the city of Boston, my whole family does. I’ve gone to Boston at least 20 times on vacation, I just love the region. I also have a close friend who’s a Bruin‘s fan, been friends with him since 1976 I believe. So I was rooting for the Bruins a few years back, when they lost to St Louis in the Cup Finals. And was happy when the won the Cup 10 years ago. I predicted they would win the East this year.

It’s really a weird series, the Bruins are definitely the better team, the more talented team, I don’t know how the Isles win. The players they have, the talent level is probably the worst of any teams left, they give up a TON of shots, and very rarely win by more than 1 goal. They have trouble scoring, yet somehow lead all playoff teams in goals. Their style of play doesn’t seem sustainable. But I think it’s a combo of great goaltending and hall of fame leadership (GM & Coach). It really is perplexing. They get zero respect from other team’s fans, but since Lamoriello & Trotz took over, they got to the final 8 two years ago, final 4 last year, and final 8 this year, possibly final 4 again.

I think, as a long time Isle’s fan, since 1975, it’s hard for long time Isle’s fans to conceive that we have a good team. From 1994 until 2015, the Isles hadn’t won a playoff series, and only made the playoffs a handful of times, the Isles were a laughing stock of the NHL for many years.

I’m an Islander’s fan, but I have tremendous respect for the Bruins, always have. I always loved Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, I loved the way Terry O’Reilly played, love Bergeron, what a player. Maybe it’s because I’m a Patriot’s fan, but I love the city of Boston, my whole family does. I’ve gone to Boston at least 20 times on vacation, I just love the region. I also have a close friend who’s a Bruin‘s fan, been friends with him since 1976 I believe. So I was rooting for the Bruins a few years back, when they lost to St Louis in the Cup Finals. And was happy when the won the Cup 10 years ago. I predicted they would win the East this year.

It’s really a weird series, the Bruins are definitely the better team, the more talented team, I don’t know how the Isles win. The players they have, the talent level is probably the worst of any teams left, they give up a TON of shots, and very rarely win by more than 1 goal. They have trouble scoring, yet somehow lead all playoff teams in goals. Their style of play doesn’t seem sustainable. But I think it’s a combo of great goaltending and hall of fame leadership (GM & Coach). It really is perplexing. They get zero respect from other team’s fans, but since Lamoriello & Trotz took over, they got to the final 8 two years ago, final 4 last year, and final 8 this year, possibly final 4 again.

I think, as a long time Isle’s fan, since 1975, it’s hard for long time Isle’s fans to conceive that we have a good team. From 1994 until 2015, the Isles hadn’t won a playoff series, and only made the playoffs a handful of times, the Isles were a laughing stock of the NHL for many years.
Since I'm in NY and watch the Islanders regularly (been to a few games, too), I have come to have a lot of respect for their program lately (yeah, Trotz & Lamoriello). And since I hate the Rangers it has worked out well. (Though they have that POS Joe Micheletti on NBCSN doing color and he acts like he's watching the Rangers, the ****ing arsehole.)

The problem is and has been ownership. The Jacobs are cheap motherf.ckers, and they always will be. Sweeney has been operating with both arms tied behind his back, he’s done well but you need to invest in a great scouting department and be creative in free agency, and the Jacobs will never support that.

The Jacobs learned from the Yawkeys.

I think you can win a cup with Rask, if he plays his best throughout the playoffs, other than that I agree with everything you said. I would prioritize Hall and Krecji. However when the playoffs come who ever you have in goal is going to have to play lights out to win it all, the NHL is simply loaded with great talent.
This is the most relevant post in this thread. The NHL is such a talented league, way more the the NFL and the pool of players circles the globe. It boggles my mind that people rip Rask so hard, he is the winningest playoff goalie in team history and got us to the finals twice. I can only think of a few times where he actually lost the B's a chance to win the cup because of soft goals.

This is the most relevant post in this thread. The NHL is such a talented league, way more the the NFL and the pool of players circles the globe. It boggles my mind that people rip Rask so hard, he is the winningest playoff goalie in team history and got us to the finals twice. I can only think of a few times where he actually lost the B's a chance to win the cup because of soft goals.
As NHL fans, it’s so hard to really analyze the goalie position. Outside of OBVIOUS soft goals, there’s a lot that go into goals against when you look at the goalie’s part in that goal against.

For instance, positioning of the goalie, defensive play, luck (bounces), etc. I’m a fan of both of the Isles goalies, I think both are excellent. Rookie Ilya Sorokin lost game 1 to the Bruins, after winning all 4 of his games to help the Isles take out the Penguins. In that game 1, he was excellent, really couldn’t blame him on any of the goals, some great snipes by Pastrnak, a great screen (bad defensive play), he literally was the only reason the Isles were even in the game after 2 periods (2-2 tie).

But if you look at one of the goals, he slid too far and lost the net, making it an easy goal for the Bruins. So that would be the only goal I would blame him for. So I’m not saying you have to be a goalie expert, but if you know the position, and have a lot of experience as far as watching hockey, you can tell what’s going on. I’ve been watching hockey for almost 50 years, and I was a goalie (roller hockey), so I probably focus on goalies more than most fans.

Rask is a great goalie. He is extremely sound in the fundamentals, very positionally sound. I don’t get to see him as much as you guys, but I think he’s a great goalie.

rask is 3 and 6 in elimination games. 2 of those were against Toronto, the biggest choking team in the history of sports. and he gave up 4 goals in two of the three he won. When it matters the most. He pukes all over the ice. The bruins will never win a cup with him in goal.

Since I'm in NY and watch the Islanders regularly (been to a few games, too), I have come to have a lot of respect for their program lately (yeah, Trotz & Lamoriello). And since I hate the Rangers it has worked out well. (Though they have that POS Joe Micheletti on NBCSN doing color and he acts like he's watching the Rangers, the ****ing arsehole.)
Since you’re in NY, I’m not sure how long you’ve lived here, but I don’t know if you remember that Micheletti used to call Islander’s games before he moved over to the Rangers. I’m not sure what happened between those times, but he went from being an excellent color commentator , to a horrible one who’s a ridiculous homer. I really don’t understand how that happened.

Rask is playing tonight. He’ll win and then choke at home in game 7 as is custom against anyone but the Leafs.

the Islanders are winning the same way the inferior Blues team won...they are more physical than us and are beating the crap out of us. The longer the series goes, the more the Bruins will wear down. It has been a great series but i think we are running out of gas

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back