PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruce Irvin cut by Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats front-6 is getting better each week with cooperatively getting QB pressure while maintaining the edge. I don't think that introducing a new guy for the next seven games is really necessary, and I doubt that Irvin would make a sufficiently significant difference. He might even disrupt the (now, finally) established communication, coordination and flow.

Against stationary QBs, yes, but against more mobile QBs like Mahomes and Trubisky the D struggled a bit. More pass rushers always helps. Irvin ran a 4.5 40, while Hightower a 4.68. Bringing him in for a narrow role such as rushing the QB late in the 3rd and 4th quarters when the Pats have the lead and need a big play would help I think.

Last edited:
Against stationary QBs, yes, but against more mobile QBs like Mahomes and Trubisky the D struggled a bit more. More pass rushers always helps. Irvin ran a 4.5 40, while Hightower a 4.68.

Athletic pass rushers aren't the fix for defending against mobile QBs. Better awareness and assignment discipline are. I'm not sure that Irvin helps that at all since he may be more Cass Marsh than HT.

Athletic pass rushers aren't the fix for defending against mobile QBs. Better awareness and assignment discipline are. I'm not sure that Irvin helps that at all since he may be more Cass Marsh than HT.

I must've missed the “bring Marsh back“ thread after flashy highlight plays in SF..;)

This "he's banged up a lot" thing has ZERO foundation. He missed 2 games last year to minor dings. But other than that, he's shown up when needed. Like the SB against Atlanta.
Yeah, I thought I had deleted that portion after I looked up he only missed two games.

Irvin is a proven NFL player.

Marsh is part-timer who has an aversion to playing run defense.

Irvin is a proven NFL player.

Marsh is part-timer who has an aversion to playing run defense.

Irvin may be more "proven", but is he proven in the things that the Pats D actually need more of? He has a reputation for freelancing.

Irvin may be more "proven", but is he proven in the things that the Pats D actually need more of? He has a reputation for freelancing.
Maybe. I'll let BB decide.

RE: freelancing. He does move around but I think he has played in defenses which allow him that latitude.

Maybe. I'll let BB decide.

RE: freelancing. He does move around but I think he has played in defenses which allow him that latitude.

Agree that it's much more about the Pats' coaches' perspective on how he fits than it is about his previous accomplishments elsewhere. And one aspect of that is, how much has that "latitude" enabled his success? He may not be afforded much latitude in the Pats defense at all.

He cleared waivers, per WEEI

Update: Doug Kyed reports that he's been place on waivers today and won't clear until 4 pm tomorrow. So, either Kyed or WEEI got the info a bit confused.

Last edited:
He cleared waivers, per WEEI

Update: Doug Kyed reports that he's been place on waivers today and won't clear until 4 pm tomorrow. So, either Kyed or WEEI got the info a bit confused.

As per A. Schefter tweeted Irvine and 3.8M left on Raiders wasn't claimed making him a FA today.

Translation: I don’t want to win and work hard. I just want to continue to be mediocre.

The Falcons aren't that bad. Maybe he's just one of those people who hates the cold. Kind of stupid if you're a football player but still.

No great loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back