PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns trade Shelton to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. For one, i respect the knowledge of this guy a great deal. Secondly, he is an avid Browns fan, for quite some time.
Being an avid fan of a crappy team likely taints the ability to evaluate their players.
Your friend seems to be a lot less knowledgable than think but if you want to seed your open mindedness to his complaining that’s up to you.

The more Speed the merrier but who knows if we are keeping Cooks if not Gabriel would be a good addition

Chris, start a thread called Wide Receivers I Want and update it every hour until you've listed every receiver in the league. Gabriel wouldn't help this team right now and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Now, send that 2018 5th round pick to PHI for CB Darby or NO for FS/SS Vaccaro.
Don't have to on Vaccaro. he is a F/A . He is one F/A in the weeds the Pats need desperately. If you keep throwing Richards out there in a big nickel package we run into trouble. Vaccaro can play Slot, CB, Safety and OLB . BB type.

Three more BB type pics in FA.

Trent Murphy DE/Elephant who in essence is an upgrade over McClellan (if he ever plays again). Coming into his own. Early 2017 ACL. Smart (Stanford) 9 Sacks in 2016. Might fit Nink/MgGinnest role.

Piere Desir CB. 6'2" Sherman size. Beat out Vontae Davis to start at Indy who had a pass defense better than the Pats. Shoulder surgery. 9 games and 7 passes defended with 1 INT. Cheap signing for another tall CB. Can play S/T. Can't see them dumping millions of valuable CAP dollars unless they can get Sherman at a discount for a partial year. Think they invest in Drafting a CB. Maybe a Holton Hill from Texas in mid rounds. 6'3" can return.

Eric Decker WR.
O.K. 3rd and 8. Do I trust the first down to Decker or Cooks? Cooks I love, but at $8mm, keeping Dorsett and grooming him might be as scary for other Teams at half the money. Cooks was not a Red Zone threat. Decker made some important catches. He is in the Edelman/Dola age group. Miss-used in Tenn. He had 85 Yards and 6 of 7 catches against us in play-offs. BB looks at this. He abused us on the Jets as well.
Now you can Trade Cooks to Bears for a second rounder (supposedly). Get Dorsett on the field. Have a Decker who can play wide and/OR a big slot. 54 catches at Tenn. Last year. Would have had at least 20 more here. Our smurfs are great like Cooks, Edelman and Amendola (who we might lose). Mitchell is made of glass. Don't see him in our long term plans. Britt is insurance.

Two more of interest. While we are in talks with the Browns, could we get Joe Thomas? I think Solder walks because too much money will be thrown at him. He would stay if close because of his son.

Zack Brown is my F/A binky. Speed, size, coverage and tackling. No brainer if $$$
DW Toys

For everyone commenting how Shelton did on the Browns, consider how well Randy Moss did on the Raiders.

Football is a team game. Shelton got double teamed or faced the opponent's best interior lineman on every snap. The guy is a beast.

I’m happy with the trade. Not as stoked as some folks, but happy. He will be a nice body to add to that line and probably has a very high ceiling with our staff and scheme. Gave up very little for him. Problem is, we now have Shelton and Brown that if both perform well are gonna have to get paid not far down the road. I see it as getting a piece to the puzzle we don’t currently have on the roster. Finding big DT’s built like that are hard. He’s had some success. Nice to see things getting started for the team. Let’s gooooo!

If Miguel is correct (and it's extremely rare that he's not), the 5th-year options for Shelton and Brown are about $7M each. So, by exercising those options, the Pats could have both through 2019 for a combined APY of $9M ($4.5M/year each).

When the Pats re-visit the situation in 2020, the cap could be as high as $200M.

Don't have to on Vaccaro. he is a F/A . He is one F/A in the weeds the Pats need desperately. If you keep throwing Richards out there in a big nickel package we run into trouble. Vaccaro can play Slot, CB, Safety and OLB . BB type.

Trent Murphy DE/Elephant who in essence is an upgrade over McClellan (if he ever plays again). Coming into his own. Early 2017 ACL. Smart (Stanford) 9 Sacks in 2016. Might fit Nink/MgGinnest role.

Piere Desir CB. 6'2" Sherman size. Beat out Vontae Davis to start at Indy who had a pass defense better than the Pats. Shoulder surgery. 9 games and 7 passes defended with 1 INT. Cheap signing for another tall CB. Can play S/T. Can't see them dumping millions of valuable CAP dollars unless they can get Sherman at a discount for a partial year. Think they invest in Drafting a CB. Maybe a Holton Hill from Texas in mid rounds. 6'3" can return.

Eric Decker WR.
O.K. 3rd and 8. Do I trust the first down to Decker or Cooks? Cooks I love, but at $8mm, keeping Dorsett and grooming him might be as scary for other Teams at half the money. Cooks was not a Red Zone threat. Decker made some important catches. He is in the Edelman/Dola age group. Miss-used in Tenn. He had 85 Yards and 6 of 7 catches against us in play-offs. BB looks at this. He abused us on the Jets as well.
Now you can Trade Cooks to Bears for a second rounder (supposedly). Get Dorsett on the field. Have a Decker who can play wide and/OR a big slot. 54 catches at Tenn. Last year. Would have had at least 20 more here. Our smurfs are great like Cooks, Edelman and Amendola (who we might lose). Mitchell is made of glass. Don't see him in our long term plans. Britt is insurance.

Two more of interest. While we are in talks with the Browns, could we get Joe Thomas? I think Solder walks because too much money will be thrown at him. He would stay if close because of his son.

Zack Brown is my F/A binky. Speed, size, coverage and tackling. No brainer if $$$
DW Toys
You’re right in regards to Vaccaro. Also, I’d LOVE Trent Murphy. I mentioned him in another thread. Just the type of low-key impact player NE would target, sign & flourish with.

Lastly, Preston Smith would be great as well.

Eric Decker WR.

DW Toys
Man, Murphy would be a great fit.

If it happens, I like this trade. Great size, age and talent for DT. We need the improvement.

For Pats

You’re right in regards to Vaccaro. Also, I’d LOVE Trent Murphy. I mentioned him in another thread. Just the type of low-key impact player NE would target, sign & flourish with.

Lastly, Preston Smith would be great as well.

I like smith but we need some speed at LB. I hope we draft a guy like burks or whoever's available.

Im not. I have a colleague in my team that is a Browns fan (go figure). I've seen him rant about this guy in more than one occasion. For all i know, this guy sucks lol
Well my cousin from Colorado, who has a friend from Oklahoma, who is a buddies with a guy from Ohio happens to like him...

The media - especially the sports media - speculates wildly (based on unnamed "inside sources") - IOW, they just make sh*t up - and then that speculation gets echoed by other media guys until it becomes accepted as fact.

You guys do know this, right?

I think that depends on which guys you are asking, this guy certainly does. Some others maybe not so much

I guess I gotta red0 my mock drafts and take Tim Settle out

Perhaps what I'm enjoying the most about this ...

Skins-Chiefs make a big splash trade.
Patriots ... quiet, but re-sign a special teamer.

Chiefs-Rams make a big splash trade.
Patriots ... quiet, but media rumors swirl.

Seahawks-Philly make a big splash trade.
Patriots ... quiet, but re-sign another special teamer, and media rumors continue to swirl.

Broncos-Rams make a big splash trade.

Seahawks make a big splash cut and media rumors reach CAT-5 strength.
Patriots ... quiet.

Browns-Packers make a big splash trade.
Patriots ... quiet, but media rumors continue to swirl.

Browns-Bills make a big splash trade.

Then, suddenly, when everyone seems convinced that the Pats are in a coma ... BOOM!
The Pats drop the hammer on a completely unexpected deal that is about as close to perfect for them as it gets.

Patriots ... quiet, but re-sign another special teamer, and media rumors continue to swirl.

Patriots ... quiet.

Then, suddenly, when everyone seems convinced that the Pats are in a coma ... BOOM!
The Pats drop the hammer on a completely unexpected deal that is about as close to perfect for them as it gets.
IMHO NE is the most intriguing team in sports (maybe sports history). Happy to be a part of it.

Last edited:

Patriots ... quiet.

Free agency doesn't start till March 14th. A lot more will happen Wednesday.

Hmmm...
You can't tell me that knowing there's a frustrated and under-medicated troll somewhere deep in the bowels of his mom's basement just choking with rage that he can't be all over it isn't very high on the list of what you are enjoying about this. Or am I mistakenly projecting my own schadenfreude?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore