PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns number ONE pick for JAG??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a bidding war starts, #1 overall would not only be in play but additional picks on top of that.

The Bears & 49ers will likely be looking at him with interest so the Browns will have competition.

The number one overall is extremely unlikely but then so is coming back from 28-3 down in the Super bowl. I would love Myles Garrett lined up alongside Trey Flowers, every QB would feel threatened.

When you think that certain college QBs go for multiple picks and often these include three or four picks in the first two rounds in sequential years having not proved anything in the pros. There isn't a huge amount of tape on Jimmy G but scouts and GMs can be more confident of what they have with JG than they do with a college QB.

So giving up multiple picks for Jimmy is not only possible but probable in my opinion especially when there are many teams which need to solve their QB problem.

If you want to be in the play-offs every year you need a top tier QB. If you don't have a top tier QB you will be drafting high every year. The NFL has become even more of a passing game with each year.

If Bill is going to trade JG away it would be good to send him to the NFC and his home town Chicago. I'd demand nothing less than 2017 2nd rounder, 2017 5th rounder and a 2018 1st rounder. This should be palatable enough for the Bears and still agreeable for the Patriots.

Personally I would like Bill to keep hold of Jimmy as I think he will be a top 5 QB in the league and could play for the Patriots for 10 years. I think we could see Brady play one or two more years. I know Brady talks about playing many more years but at some point he just has to decline in play and with his wife already asking him to retire I think he'll play two more years. Enough time to get Championship number six.

If a bidding war starts, #1 overall would not only be in play but additional picks on top of that.

The Bears & 49ers will likely be looking at him with interest so the Browns will have competition.

And right on cue, Jason La Canfora is doubling down on his Bears interest report:
NFL Rumors: Bears Primed To Make Run At Acquiring Jimmy Garoppolo

Bonus: he's speculating (no sources on this) that the Jets may be the landing spot for Jay Cutler. It's like Chrismas all over again!

The number one overall is extremely unlikely but then so is coming back from 28-3 down in the Super bowl. I would love Myles Garrett lined up alongside Trey Flowers, every QB would feel threatened.

When you think that certain college QBs go for multiple picks and often these include three or four picks in the first two rounds in sequential years having not proved anything in the pros. There isn't a huge amount of tape on Jimmy G but scouts and GMs can be more confident of what they have with JG than they do with a college QB.

So giving up multiple picks for Jimmy is not only possible but probable in my opinion especially when there are many teams which need to solve their QB problem.

If you want to be in the play-offs every year you need a top tier QB. If you don't have a top tier QB you will be drafting high every year. The NFL has become even more of a passing game with each year.

If Bill is going to trade JG away it would be good to send him to the NFC and his home town Chicago. I'd demand nothing less than 2017 2nd rounder, 2017 5th rounder and a 2018 1st rounder. This should be palatable enough for the Bears and still agreeable for the Patriots.

Personally I would like Bill to keep hold of Jimmy as I think he will be a top 5 QB in the league and could play for the Patriots for 10 years. I think we could see Brady play one or two more years. I know Brady talks about playing many more years but at some point he just has to decline in play and with his wife already asking him to retire I think he'll play two more years. Enough time to get Championship number six.

I would love to see them keep Jimmy too. But how are they going to do that? He is a free agent after next season. They can't pay two QBs big time money. Brady or Jimmy is going to have to go.

To me, anyway, BB and Nick would prefer multiple picks for trading flexibility. Straight up #1 overall for JG just doesnt seem like that would fit there MO. They have been swapping mid range pick mid season before the deadline for what seems like every year for higher picks that fell out of favor. Generally they work out for a bit.

Flexibility seems to be their mantra and accumulating multiple choices with concerns to JG would fit that mold.

My point is they may actually NOT WANT the #1 overall, whether it was offered or not. There just not the "put all your eggs in one basket" types from what I've seen.

Would #12 be high enough to get Fournette or is it looking likely he will be Jets/Jags bound? Really not kept up with draft stuff in a while.

Am I wrong or the Pats already have a lot of picks for the next draft?

They may convince a team to trade a truckload of future picks for JimmyG, that would work for both sides, desperate GM's always relegate the future and that would suit our plans too. We just need a 2nd for this year.

And right on cue, Jason La Canfora is doubling down on his Bears interest report:
NFL Rumors: Bears Primed To Make Run At Acquiring Jimmy Garoppolo

Bonus: he's speculating (no sources on this) that the Jets may be the landing spot for Jay Cutler. It's like Chrismas all over again!

Jimmy G to the Bears makes too much sense for it not to happen. Chicago native. Marketable as the second coming of Brady. Still on a super cheap rookie contract that you can move on from if it doesn't work out. Chicago and Patriots organizations seem to have good relationship.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like a better bet than spending a 3rd for a chance to pay Mitch Trubisky's overrated *** on a four year deal amounting to over $25M.

Few days ago I said he might be traded to Bears. Mike Lombardi says while Kyle Shanahan was in Cleveland, he wanted Kirk Cousins and was very high on him. Now that Shanahan is HC of 49ers who don't have a QB, it may be a good spot for him. Mike Lombardi said it'll be a quick rebuild for 49ers as well.

My take is BB holds out for a Godfather type deal. Make them come to Papa.

OLB Pass rusher with 7 sacks Leonard Floyd and the Bears #3 works for me.
DW Toys

brady has earned the right to ride off "a year late" as opposed to a "year early"...

BB and Brady and maybe kraft too need to have a serious talk about him being completely committed to playing the next 3+ years

no half assed commitment....no "im tired of training camp".....or "i want to see my family more"

if he can assure you of that, then trade Jimmy G this off-season for highest bidder

it pains me to let go of a potential franchise QB

but brady has earned the right to have more say in his ending than everyone else

jmo....i could be wrong

They may convince a team to trade a truckload of future picks for JimmyG, that would work for both sides, desperate GM's always relegate the future and that would suit our plans too. We just need a 2nd for this year.

The Pats have the #32 pick in rounds 1-3.
They own Seattle's 4th round pick as well as their own. BUT because of framegate, they will lose the lower (numerically) ones of those picks (which is the Seattle one) So look for BB to almost assuredly trade that Seattle pick to move up in rounds 2 or 3.

They traded their 5th round pick, but have the Broncos 5th rounder

No 6th round pick

They have Detroit's 7th rounder.

Plus they would get Cleveland's third round comp pikc (if its a 3rd rounder) because of the penalty detailed above, the Collins trade says that if the comp pick turns out to be a 4th round comp pick, then the Pats will receive the Browns regular 4th round pick in the 2018 draft.

Plus the Pats are projected to be awarded a 5th round comp pick (for the loss of Aikeem Hicks).

so the Pats have 6 draft picks and will get at least one comp pick, and maybe two.

So if you assume that Over the Cap is right with it 's comp pick projections the Pats will have picks:

32, 64,96, 103, 135, 164, 183, 241

Last edited:
Jimmy G to the Bears makes too much sense for it not to happen. Chicago native. Marketable as the second coming of Brady.
You have GOT to be kidding.

Projected to have 8 picks at this point, although it's not official and subject to change: New England Patriots to pick 32nd overall in the first round

Summary:
1st round pick 32 :D:D:D
2nd round pick 32
3rd round pick 32
3rd round compensatory pick, projected to be 103 overall, from Cleveland for Jamie Collins, due to their loss of Alex Mack to Atlanta.
4th round, pick 30 (Pats had also acquired Seattle's 4th rounder but that is being forfeited due to the Jackass; Giants' pick got moved down a whole 9 spots due to their walkie talkie violation)
5th rounder from Denver for AJ Derby (Pats own pick traded to Cleveland for Barkevious Mingo)
5th round compensatory pick due to loss of Akiem Hicks
7th round pick (multiple trades with Detroit first shipping this pick away for Michael Williams, then reacquired as part of Kyle Van Noy trade where Pats traded their 6th rounder for this pick and Van Noy)

If that Mack comp pick winds up being a 4th rounder, the Pats get Cleveland's 2018 4th rounder instead to avoid this pick being confiscated by the Jackass instead of Seattle's.

EDIT: too slow on the draw; props to @FreeTedWilliams

Projected to have 8 picks at this point, although it's not official and subject to change: New England Patriots to pick 32nd overall in the first round

Summary:
1st round pick 32 :D:D:D
2nd round pick 32
3rd round pick 32
3rd round compensatory pick, projected to be 103 overall, from Cleveland for Jamie Collins, due to their loss of Alex Mack to Atlanta.
4th round, pick 30 (Pats had also acquired Seattle's 4th rounder but that is being forfeited due to the Jackass; Giants' pick got moved down a whole 9 spots due to their walkie talkie violation)
5th rounder from Denver for AJ Derby (Pats own pick traded to Cleveland for Barkevious Mingo)
5th round compensatory pick due to loss of Akiem Hicks
7th round pick (multiple trades with Detroit first shipping this pick away for Michael Williams, then reacquired as part of Kyle Van Noy trade where Pats traded their 6th rounder for this pick and Van Noy)

If that Mack comp pick winds up being a 4th rounder, the Pats get Cleveland's 2018 4th rounder instead to avoid this pick being confiscated by the Jackass instead of Seattle's.

EDIT: too slow on the draw; props to @FreeTedWilliams

8 picks and 13 unrestricted free agents in the offseason. A few more picks for Jimmy G would be nice.

I assume Bennett and Ryan are gone. I hope Harmon, Floyd, Long, Develin, Blount and Branch come back on reasonable deals.

Vollmer, Sheard, Mingo, Bolden probably all gone.

The point is we're going to have a lot of turnover and a few more picks can help keep out out of a cap problem.

Heres what i think would be an ideal trade.

Jimmy G and Danny amendola to the 49's for pick #2

49s get a starter caliber QB, and a slot guy that QB is comfortable with.

The pats are listening to offers for jimmy, and danny needs a restructure to stay. Seems like a win win for both teams.

Pats could then turn #2 into a few picks. then turn those picks into more picks, and then we draft 52 people in teh 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST