PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brown made a mistake but Tomlin really screwed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So we all heard of Brown doing the facebook video. Obviously not the smartest move. But no one is talking about the real story imo which is how bad the coach botched this after.

Here is what the correct thing for Tomlin would be to say "The league rules and our rules are clear. What Brown did is against those rules. We plan to handle this internally and will do our best to remind all our players about the league rules so this does not happEN again". That would be fine.

Instead he went way beyond what he should have done. Even if you argue it was justified or Brown had it coming when you are approaching the AFCCG you don't do what Tomlin did. He is not a player he is a coach. He should be a much more mature and wiser man than Brown. I didn't see that here.

He used the words/lines related to Brown "selfish" "foolish" "inconsiderate" Mentioned this could cause Brown to be traded/cut with his bounce from team to team comment. He mentioned the term "time to time" meaning he is bringing up past issues with Brown and throwing it out there letting the media know other things have gone on.

I just can not agree with this from a professional and coaching perspective. You don't publically dress down one of your top players, mention he has had issues in the past and then make a threat he could be off the team if you want him to play at his best. You PARTICULARLY don't do it in public.

This needs to be pointed out as Tomlin doing a horrible coaching job. If Brown is off his game or not ready or is worried about something besides playing football on Sunday Tomlin certainly is partly to blame and has no one to blame but himself.

He has a week to manage this situation, make clear the rules for his player and get him to refocus on the task. I don't know how this can be called the right way to do it.

Last edited:
On EEI they thought he said all the right things, I thought it was absurd. Spot on, you don't dress down a player in front of the world just to let everyone know how you don't take any crap. He comes across as very insecure imo, trying to show everyone he's a big alpha dog. I find his act unbearable...

He threw Brown under their bus, made Brown's actions the story instead of Tomlin's ridiculous post-game cheerleading session.

Throw in all the pre-game excuses, and a big dose of paranoia of all things BB, and it's like watching Rex Ryan again. What a cluster ****.

He threw Brown under their bus, made Brown's actions the story instead of Tomlin's ridiculous post-game cheerleading session.

Throw in all the pre-game excuses, and a big dose of paranoia of all things BB, and it's like watching Rex Ryan again. What a cluster ****.

Yup. And you have everyone saying the same thing Bedard, Curran, EEI guys all saying it will have zero effect. How they can say that is beyond me. Collins gets released and its oh boy how will the respond. This will affect them! The best breakdown I saw was on Inside the NFL. To a man they all seemed to take offense to what Brown did and that tells me much more than the loser Boston media does.

Boston media is a JOKE. Complete and utter JOKE.

I dont think the op understands that players and coaches on any team view this as a massive betrayal. Big ben expressed public disappointment in brown over this as well. You dont expose your coach and team to critisim to promote yourself like a fool on social media in the lockeroom of all places. The lockeroom is a symbol of the brother in arms, together we stand side of football... and this moron just violated that ethos for pokes and likes on facebook. He deserves every bit of grief he got. If this happened in our lockeroom most players with very few exceptions would be shipped out of town.

Last edited:
"We're on to New England."

When I played football, when the HC spoke, you shut up and listen. Bottom line. Brown was so narcissistic in wanting to post whatever that he couldn't press STOP when his coach started talking? I mean that's all it takes.

And then Tomlin trying to act all hard so the Pats and everyone can see "Wow, he REALLY laid down the law here". Come on.

Okay so what exactly did he say afterwards. You give us what he should have said like we know what he said initially. I'm up on my sports news for the most part but have given up completely on WEEI and 98.5 The Troll Hub.

The right thing to do would have been to bench Brown for the first offensive series. That'll show him!:confused:

Obviously I am biased but I think Tomlin handled it well. Brown had to be put in his place. Brown started airing it publicly so Tomlin responded in kind.

Somehow, Tomlin came out of this looking like he has even LESS control.

Exactly, it is almost as if, the "inmates are running the asylum" in Pittsburgh. The big issue here is NOT whether Mike Tomlin called the Pats or anyone else this or that. All coaches and players talk like that in their locker room. As far as that, who really cares, they all say stuff like that. The way bigger problem here is the perception that Tomlin can't control his players. He specifically told them to keep their mouths shut this week, and Brown just totally disregards him (and unwittingly disrespects his instruction). I think Tomlin was smart enough to know that the Patriots did not need any extra motive. They are focused on winning that Lombardi and shoving it up Goodell's ass. No need for an opponent to add fuel to that fire. And, now with this "apology" and throwing AB under the bus, in wake of this he looks even weaker. He simply did not handle this in any smart manner.

BB would have traded him to the browns while saying what a great talent he is, but he just wasnt a good fit for this team.

So we all heard of Brown doing the facebook video. Obviously not the smartest move. But no one is talking about the real story imo which is how bad the coach botched this after.

Here is what the correct thing for Tomlin would be to say "The league rules and our rules are clear. What Brown did is against those rules. We plan to handle this internally and will do our best to remind all our players about the league rules so this does not happy again". That would be fine.

Instead he went way beyond what he should have done. Even if you argue it was justified or Brown had it coming when you are approaching the AFCCG you don't do what Tomlin did. He is not a player he is a coach. He should be a much more mature and wiser man than Brown. I didn't see that here.

He used the words/lines related to Brown "selfish" "foolish" "inconsiderate" Mentioned this could cause Brown to be traded/cut with his bounce from team to team comment. He mentioned the term "time to time" meaning he is bringing up past issues with Brown and throwing it out there letting the media know other things have gone on.

I just can not agree with this from a professional and coaching perspective. You don't publically dress down one of your top players, mention he has had issues in the past and then make a threat he could be off the team if you want him to play at his best. You PARTICULARLY don't do it in public.

This needs to be pointed out as Tomlin doing a horrible coaching job. If Brown is off his game or not ready or is worried about something besides playing football on Sunday Tomlin certainly is partly to blame and has no one to blame but himself.

He has a week to manage this situation, make clear the rules for his player and get him to refocus on the task. I don't know how this can be called the right way to do it.

Exactly. Timlin should have acknowledged that it should not have happened but it will be dealt with internally. "We got a big game to think about."

He could have then pulled Brown aside and had a much sterner talk and how Brown needs to work extra hard to prove that it will not be a distraction. Motivate AB to want to work even harder to make it up to his teammates.

Exactly. Timlin should have acknowledged that it should not have happened but it will be dealt with internally. "We got a big game to think about."

He could have then pulled Brown aside and had a much sterner talk and how Brown needs to work extra hard to prove that it will not be a distraction. Motivate AB to want to work even harder to make it up to his teammates.

YEP, I think that is the way Coach BB would have handled it. It just goes to show why I say in this match up you have a master genius (Belichick) going up against a mental midget (Tomlin), and why I think this is over before it even begins, as most battles are. One guy (Belichick) is playing Chess, the other one (Tomlin) playing Mouse Trap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe