PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos Pats moved to MNF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the above percentages and applying them to an NFL discussion.....
Weekly US death rates attributed to covid for 25-34 year olds over the past month:
Approximated 15-20 per week
Using the CDC’s 6% of deaths exclusive to covid published statistic and applying it to the 20 “Covid” deaths of 25-34 years per week, we get 1 death exclusive to covid per week in this age group.

I won’t even try to make the argument that NFL players are healthier than typical 25-34 year olds (but they are), but I will argue that the alarmism over the health and well being of an age group virtually immune to serious affects from covid is nonsensical and I can easily understand the NFL’s resolve in moving forward with their season. It is not life or death for these athletes, but more of an obstacle.... and minimizing spread is the appropriate goal.
I don't want this to get out of hand, but I respectfully disagree on the "It is not life or death for these athletes" comment.

I'll point out that statistically - as low as people keep harping that the percentage might be - the odds are still there that out of however many infected players there are this season, it's possible we could potentially see the death of at least one player given that there have still been people between the ages of 25-34 with no previous conditions who have succumbed to it. And at the end of the day, that's ultimately the reason for the precautions.

I don't want this to get out of hand, but I respectfully disagree on the "It is not life or death for these athletes" comment.

I'll point out that statistically - as low as people keep harping that the percentage might be - the odds are still there that out of however many infected players there are this season, it's possible we could potentially see the death of at least one player given that there have still been people between the ages of 25-34 with no previous conditions who have succumbed to it. And at the end of the day, that's ultimately the reason for the precautions.

And not to mention that NFL players are more susceptible to covid than other athletes since, well frankly, a lot of them are not in shape...

And not to mention that NFL players are more susceptible to covid than other athletes since, well frankly, a lot of them are not in shape...
I'm not saying that, but I am saying that any number over zero opens the door to at least one, and that in itself would be pretty devastating. And that's the reason why they're obviously being so careful.

I'll argue that the validity (or lack thereof) of COVID stats is really off-topic for this thread.

The reality is the NFL has set policies based on what its own medical experts are telling it.

To what degree these policies are influenced by CDC data is unknown.

What we believe or do not believe about COVID stats is not relevant.

And it's also a big political talking point, along with the origins of the virus too, and some people can't help themselves but insert that into every conversation.

It's a societal problem, Ian. As long as it doesn't happen to them, who gives a ****.

I'll argue that the validity (or lack thereof) of COVID stats is really off-topic for this thread.

The reality is the NFL has set policies based on what its own medical experts are telling it.

To what degree these policies are influenced by CDC data is unknown.

What we believe or do not believe about COVID stats is not relevant.

And it's also a big political talking point, along with the origins of the virus too, and some people can't help themselves but insert that into every conversation.
And I agree, which is why I kept it simple and made the point that regardless of stats, the number is greater than zero and that's the reason why the league is being so careful. We don't need to get into any other numbers other than that.

It's a societal problem, Ian. As long as it doesn't happen to them, who gives a ****.
Again, while I might agree with you, we don't need to go down that road in this thread ;)

I think this tale of what could be is relevant because we lost Cam for the KC game and now we're losing a bye week and there's no guarantee the end is in sight. NFL management and players need to step up their game, what they are doing is not working.

Strange piece from Curran. He seems to be taking a tweet from James White and some comments from BB and weaving them into a narrative that the Pats are taking matters into their own hands. Seems to me to be a step too far. Sure, some measures like using two planes and keeping the facilities closed when they could be open are going beyond the protocols, but the protocols are bare minimums of what is expected from the teams and it's always an option to go beyond. It's not like we have open insurrection, yet.

I'll point out that statistically - as low as people keep harping that the percentage might be - the odds are still there that out of however many infected players there are this season, it's possible we could potentially see the death of at least one player given that there have still been people between the ages of 25-34 with no previous conditions who have succumbed to it. And at the end of the day, that's ultimately the reason for the precautions

the strict guideline also help with risk mitigation ... players who catch covid potentially spreading to disease to family or friends, some who may be in high risk categories, and who do not (may not?) have access to high quality health care and monitoring... If the NFL does not show that they have taken covid seriously, they could potentially leave themselves open to lawsuits...

Reactions: Ian
Hmmm....

For the sake of not making this confusing, I'm going to close this and would direct everyone to continue the discussion here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back