PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking: Gronk to Retire

The expectation in Tampa was that he was going to re-sign, so they're probably shocked now. No announcement from them on IG or twitter. Be interesting to see how Brady does with Godwin (coming off ACL injury), Evans, and Gage...
No worries, once AB comes back, they will be ok.

It is absolutely unacceptable that Belichick and the patriots have pissed off two of the greatest players to such an extent that they both won’t mention the patriots in retirement posts.
... because what really matters is the moods of the former players ...

What a bad take ...

Yep, very understandable, every college kid from upstate New York's dream was to play for the mighty Tampa Bay Bucs coming off their 2009 3-13 season. Especially the chance to catch passes from Josh Freeman or Byron Leftwich!

Or maybe Gronk's ambition was just to hang out at the beach to rest his broken back but he had the bad taste to prefer Tampa beaches over Miami beaches.

What bullsh*t.

Last edited:
I think it depends on when Gronk files his retirement papers...that is the trigger for the 5 year waiting period. So if Gronk holds off until Brady officially retires, they can get in in the same class...

Forget what I said...

Damn right
This is almost as bad a take as the Fryar/Morgan were more talented than Moss/Welker. At least its not that ridiculous.

Rosenhaus said it's possibility that Gronk comes back and then posts this...

Last edited:
Yep, very understandable, every college kid from upstate New York's dream was to play for the mighty Tampa Bay Bucs coming off their 2009 3-13 season. Especially the chance to catch passes from Josh Freeman or Byron Leftwich!

Or maybe Gronk's ambition was just to hang out at the beach to rest his broken back but he had the bad taste to prefer Tampa beaches over Miami beaches.

What bullsh*t.
Maybe he wrote it as a freshman at the sunny University of Arizona, which is nowhere near upstate NY. The Bucs won their division in 2007, had Jeff Garcia at QB and had won the SB in Jan. 2003.

Or maybe he's just trolling sensitive pats fans like yourself. Either way, he's a winner and 4x SB champion and the 2nd best player in Patriots history.

Gronk, one of a kind.

Gronk could also return to his hometown Bills later this year. That's something the Pats really don't need to happen.

Didn't BB trade Gronk to the Bucs when he was retired? If BB wanted to, he could have just held onto Gronk without trading him...not sure of the relationship that BB or RK had with Gronk, but it always seemed to me that Gronk was happy here.

They actually couldn't hold onto Gronk that year. Gronk retired with one year/$10 Million left on his contract. When he un-retired, the Patriots were on the hook for that $10 Million salary but they did not have that much cap space. They couldn't keep him and there was no way he was playing here, so they had to trade him.

The thing about Gronk that irks me is how he intentionally screwed the Patriots when he retired that first time. He waited until every big name TE was signed in free agency before announcing his retirement. At least one FA said that if Gronk had retired earlier, he would've considered NE. No #1 TE wanted to go to NE when Gronk was on the roster.

BTW - is everyone forgetting Gronk's first retirement announcement?

It all started at 20 years old on stage at the NFL draft when my dream came true, and now here I am about to turn 30 in a few months with a decision I feel is the biggest of my life so far. I will be retiring from the game of football today. I am so grateful for the opportunity that Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick gave to me when drafting my silliness in 2010. My life experiences over the last 9 years have been amazing both on and off the field. The people I have meet, the relationships I have built, the championships I have been apart of, I just want to thank the whole New England Patriots organization for every opportunity I have been giving and learning the great values of life that I can apply to mine. Thank you to all of Pats Nation around the world for the incredible support since I have been apart of this 1st class organization. Thank you for everyone accepting who I am and the dedication I have put into my work to be the best player I could be. But now its time to move forward and move forward with a big smile knowing that the New England Patriots Organization, Pats Nation, and all my fans will be truly a big part of my heart for rest of my life. It was truly an incredible honor to play for such a great established organization and able to come in to continue and contribute to keep building success. To all my current and past teammates, thank you for making each team every year special to be apart of. I will truly miss you guys. Cheers to all who have been part of this journey, cheers to the past for the incredible memories, and a HUGE cheers to the uncertain of whats next.

Last edited:
Gronk could also return to his hometown Bills later this year. That's something the Pats really don't need to happen.

Doubt it - he likes the sun.

Take it FWIW, but I found this on the Bucs board...

"I have not posted on here in some time, but some of you know me. I’m not one to spread rumors. I’ve got some inside scoop on this Gronk retirement news.

I’m friends with a very famous and successful youtuber I will call Charlie in this post. Charlie and Gronk have become good friends since Gronk began playing with the Bucs. They have had many conversations regarding the possibility of Gronk being a social media superstar and putting himself in a position to do so. He was having many issues last season as a result of the many years in the NFL. I won’t go into that in any detail.

The bottom line here is Charlie has convinced Gronk he can bring in millions for many years to come as he has done without having to put his body through all the pain. I can’t argue he is wrong with his assessment. People love to listen to Gronk talk and watch to see what crazy thing he will do next. This might help clear up where Gronk’s thinking is directed at this time in his life."

Would not surprise me at all if Gronk tries to become a YouTube star...I don't think he'll ever get to MrBeast level but tons of people would love to watch him do stupid things...

Tony Gonzalez is the GOAT and its not even close.

Emmitt Smith, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Walter Payton never happened because this clown retired?

John Hannah.
Trolling level 10 boss mode.

If you really know ball-ball ... Gronk, Kittle, Kelce, Sharpe, Gonzo.

It is absolutely unacceptable that Belichick and the patriots have pissed off two of the greatest players to such an extent that they both won’t mention the patriots in retirement posts. Absolutely horrible for the organization.

Thank you Bill
That didn't happen.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes