PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking: Gronk to Retire

Didn't BB trade Gronk to the Bucs when he was retired? If BB wanted to, he could have just held onto Gronk without trading him...not sure of the relationship that BB or RK had with Gronk, but it always seemed to me that Gronk was happy here.

Pats had no leverage with Gronk. They had little cap space on 2020 to keep him, and Tampa was the only team he wanted to play for. We only got a 4th rounder for him, which is sad to say the least…

Pats had no leverage with Gronk. They had little cap space on 2020 to keep him, and Tampa was the only team he wanted to play for. We only got a 4th rounder for him, which is sad to say the least…
yeah he shot his way out of town

Gronk was immense when he was available. Only once in his career did he get through an entire season... barely in 2011 when Bernard Pollard almost knocked him out of that postseason. The Patriots were able to win a Super Bowl without him too which weakens his legacy slightly. Still, the best TE in Patriots franchise history and the most dominant all-round TE in NFL history when healthy. Ultimately Travis Kelce will be considered the GOAT receiving TE. Tony Gonzalez had a great career but he never won a Super bowl and his teams were 1-6 in the postseason (with him doing very little most of the time). Gronk's ring with a second franchise puts him in a class by himself.

The Patriots were able to win a Super Bowl without him too which weakens his legacy slightly.
No way the Pats go to 8 straight AFCCG's without him. We've seen what the Pats offense was like without him in the lineup. Aside from 2016, it was dreadful. And given the 10 year drought, how long does Tom stay in NE had they not had a super star player in Gronk?

Ultimately Travis Kelce will be considered the GOAT receiving TE.
I'm shocked he's still in such good condition.

Rooting for a team in the AFCCG every year was nice, I guess. Having a team in the Super Bowl every other year was ok. But not being thanked by Brady during his fake retirement and now Gronk not thanking me has ruined it.

How could they not thank me?

I bet Mosi Tatupu thanked me. Julius Adams definitely thanked me. Put him in the HOF immediately, Krafty! Tony Collins would have thanked me, but he was coked out of his mind. Not his fault. **** MacPherson thanked me. Friendly one, that guy. Bruce Armstrong was kind of bitter, but he threw me a mumbled thank you. Craig James thanked the boosters at SMU because he made more money there than he did in the NFL. I think he thanked me too. Raymond Berry had the personality of boiled cabbage, and he even thanked me. Ahh, the good old days!

Come on, Gronky. I need a thank you or some kind of acknowledgement to salvage my self-esteem. You too, Brady.

Yes he does. He's the GOAT wr.
Gronk also exists-on a slightly higher plane.
Ahhhhh the guy who put up video game numbers in the 80s and 90s when defensive backs could maul receivers is in a "lower plane" than Gronk?

Gronk in my opinion, is the greatest TE of all time. In his prime, he was uncoverable. Just elite skills, incredible connection with Brady, they were in sync from day one. Add in his incredible blocking, and that makes him the greatest TE of all time. I like Tony Gonzales, he has all the numbers, but when healthy, nobody was as dominant and unstoppable as Gronk when it came to the TE position. He’s also one of my favorite Pat’s players of all time, definitely in my top 5.

Ahhhhh the guy who put up video game numbers in the 80s and 90s when defensive backs could maul receivers is in a "lower plane" than Gronk?
You could make the argument. It's not like Jerry Rice was pancaking Terrell Suggs. I wouldn't make the argument myself, but it could be made.

If you only had one game to win with everything on the line...I'd pick Gronk at TE and Moss at WR.

1655856710692.png
1655856676726.png

Last edited:
Damn right

He'll be back. It's actually a good idea given his health history to skip August-October and just jump into the middle of the season nice and fresh.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back