PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes suspended for banned substance for 4 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm surprised the team doesnt have a policy that basically states that you need to talk to the team doctor about the cough drops your wife brings home from CVS.

generally speaking, the entire league testing policy is a joke. they don't test for HGH, which by most accounts, is way better than any of the PEDs that have been around for years.

Its like a teacher who checks the brim of her student's hats to catch cheaters when all the kids have their iphones in plain view.

To my knowledge, There is no accurate test for HGH.. The only reason Rodney got in trouble was because the Feds busted the doctor he got them from..

To my knowledge, There is no accurate test for HGH.. The only reason Rodney got in trouble was because the Feds busted the doctor he got them from..

i believe it is because the player's union only agrees to urine test whereas the HGH test can only be administered through blood. Cyclist and Olympians are busted all the time, but they give into the needle.

on the other point, the only NFL (or MLB players) to be busted for HGH have been through indirect ways like the fed's investigation or actually being caught in possession (I believe someone on the A's had his HGH sent to the stadium!?!).

Last edited:
Well first of all, it was just a joke. No need to get upset like this.

My bad. Sorry.

Second, it is not a masking agent. If you had read the banned substance list, you'd realize that those are listed separately. Actifed is on the list because it contains pseudophedrine (amphetamine based decongestant), which dilates nasal passages. It also happens to contain an antihistamine and when you take it at night, makes you feel like someone beat with a golf club up by morning. (<-- psst that's the joke part)

The point is that there are a lot of substances on that list for a lot of damned reasons. A lot of OTCs are MAs, and a lot are actually considered PEDs. See my earlier post on the pseudoephedrine angle. OTCs may look innocent, but they are not.

If you guys want nuts, check out the WADA list of banned substances. Personally, I think it's good to try and have a clean sport and keep all these things out of it, so I don't know why anybody is crying about this other than pure homerism.

i believe it is because the player's union only agrees to urine test whereas the HGH test can only be administered through blood. Cyclist and Olympians are busted all the time, but they give into the needle.

on the other point, the only NFL (or MLB players) to be busted for HGH have been through indirect ways like the fed's investigation or actually being caught in possession (I believe someone on the A's had his HGH sent to the stadium!?!).

Up until very recently, there was no accurate test for HGH. As far as I know, no sport tests for HGH because there was no accurate test until the last year or two. Other sports organizations do blood tests, but not testing for HGH.

Last edited:
*LOL* Sure you are..

BTW, where did I say Spikes should get a 2nd chance.. I didn't.. So your blather is wasted.. As is typical of someone on their high horse..
I keep learning things about myself all the time because of you DaBruinz. I've learnt that I'm not a reasonably successful professional sportsman in my sport of choice and I'm on an apparent high horse because I have intimate knowledge of substance abuse in sports, testing and administrative procedure.

Thank you for the lesson. I'm so ever grateful.

Last edited:
I keep learning things about myself all the time because of you DaBruinz. I've learnt that I'm not a reasonably successful professional sportsman in my sport of choice and I'm on an apparent high horse because I have intimate knowledge of substance abuse in sports, testing and administrative procedure.

Thank you for the lesson. I'm so ever grateful.

No.. What you have is a problem thinking logically. In your world, 1+1 = 74839

All I said is that Spikes is HUMAN and he made a mistake. You blathered on about how it was unacceptable and such. You are the one who spewed garbage and acted like he should be held to some higher standard than being HUMAN.

BTW, I've learned long ago that people who spout off about how "successful" they are and such, typically aren't. They typically are hyping themselves. Particularly when they take the arrogant, holier than thou attitude as you have done.

Can all the talk of cutting him stop now, please? He has a problem that he is trying to deal with. His "Strike" meter should be reset to ZERO.

Also, I repect his not wanting to appeal because he doesn't want to miss the playoffs, but if he did appeal shouldn't he win? ADHD is a documentable illness. Or would he lose an appeal becasue whatever his psychaitrist (?) prescribed him wasn't cleared by a team doctor?

So, does anyone actually know what Spikes was busted for taking? It seems it might be to do with his ADHD - anyone actually know?

Or is it the usual puff and bluster from Patsfans?

So, does anyone actually know what Spikes was busted for taking? It seems it might be to do with his ADHD - anyone actually know?

Or is it the usual puff and bluster from Patsfans?

the puff and bluster one.

According to Tom Curran it was ADHD medicine..

Spikes' positive test caused by ADHD medicine

This could explain why he wasn't playing attention during the meeting about what you can and not take for drugs as an NFL player.

BB: "Make sure you clear all medications with the team doctor"

Spikes (thinking to himself) "I wonder if BB cuts his own sweatshirts or if he has some else cut them for him"

Last edited:

This could explain why he wasn't playing attention during the meeting about what you can and not take for drugs as an NFL player.

Spikes (thinking to himself) "I wonder if BB cuts his own sweatshirts or if he has some else cut them for him"

That is interesting, and even more that they did not accept his explanation.. as a grandparent of an ADHD teenager, it is often not fun and can be quite challenging.

If it was for ADHD and was prescribed, seems as though there should be some recourse for Brandon..

Can all the talk of cutting him stop now, please? He has a problem that he is trying to deal with. His "Strike" meter should be reset to ZERO.

Also, I repect his not wanting to appeal because he doesn't want to miss the playoffs, but if he did appeal shouldn't he win? ADHD is a documentable illness. Or would he lose an appeal becasue whatever his psychaitrist (?) prescribed him wasn't cleared by a team doctor?

Per the policy http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/images/oldImages/fck/2009 Steroid Policy.pdf

the only medication with an asterisk is pseud ephedrine and that is allowed IF you get an Rx from the team physician. Unlike Major League Baseball, I don't believe the NFL gives exemptions for other meds....

:rofl:

But seriously, BB must cut them himself. There's no way they could hire someone to do it that poorly.

Last edited:
Ramirez redux (unless it's really ADHD related).

Often, in situations like these, it’s what’s unsaid that sheds more light on the ultimate truth.

He did not deny using steroids in the past. He stressed that the ”medication” is not a performance enhancer or an illegal drug. I believe that his statement is true, but reading between the lines I would not be surprised if he tested positive for a drug like HCG, which is used to replenish testosterone levels at the end of a cycle of steroid treatments.

Manny Ramirez’s statement regarding testing positive for a banned substance:

Manny Ramirez Suspension - Manny Ramirez suspended 50 games for positive drug test - Los Angeles Times

"He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me," Ramirez said in the statement. "Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy, that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now."

Sound familiar?

Last edited:

This is actually way less responsible than even the cold medicine excuse. There's no way an NFL player should not clear a prescription medicine with the league/team doctors. Unless he's hiding something. Come on, Spikes. What are you thinking? :ugh:

There's already a good history of people getting suspended because of it.

Adderall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... (unless it's really ADHD related).

If it is you get it cleared with the league up front. There's no reason to go hiding something like this considering the NFL has a history of suspending people for adderall. If you don't get it cleared, of course you're going to get popped unless you're peeing somebody else's urine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents