PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Meriweather should get a gold star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brandon Merriweather Gets a Gold Star

Since I can't watch any of the Pats games unless they are on national TV, can others give their two cents on whether Rodney was missed much?

I guess not because there wouldn't be a thread awarding Merriweather a gold star. :)

Given the way our D buckeld when Rodney was IRred two seasons ago, I assume that our coaches would have kept that in mind when training the other safeties and designing the defensive schemes this season so that it can be easy for the safeties playing Rodney's role. But the long plays the opponents gain - which was already our bane even when Rodney was there - makes me shiver...

Since I can't watch any of the Pats games unless they are on national TV, can others give their two cents on whether Rodney was missed much?
I thought he was; Meriweather definitely seems to have learned from his time with Rodney and he's doing great but Sanders had an awful game yesterday. I dunno...it's hard to say. Rodney had everybody in position like a field general. :(

Not to be a ****, but can we just accept that Merriweather is a good player and not dedicate a thread to him like he's busting out after the 7th straight game? Every other game someone posts a thread like it's surprising, we know he's producing. He's one of our young defensive gems so lets stop acting like we're surprised he's playing well this season.
Not trying to ***** at you, thread starter. JMO in general.

I guess not because there wouldn't be a thread awarding Merriweather a gold star. :)

Given the way our D buckeld when Rodney was IRred two seasons ago, I assume that our coaches would have kept that in mind when training the other safeties and designing the defensive schemes this season so that it can be easy for the safeties playing Rodney's role. But the long plays the opponents gain - which was already our bane even when Rodney was there - makes me shiver...

Not really missed IMO. He wasn't going to be nearly as much as in the past. IMO there were mental screwups in the secondary, that was about it. On the big Avery TD one of our safeties pretty much tackled on of our corners and let Avery crawl down the field if he wanted too. I couldn't see the exact players, I was at the bar.

Not to be a ****, but can we just accept that Merriweather is a good player and not dedicate a thread to him like he's busting out after the 7th straight game? Every other game someone posts a thread like it's surprising, we know he's producing. He's one of our young defensive gems so lets stop acting like we're surprised he's playing well this season.
Not trying to ***** at you, thread starter. JMO in general.

Considering that he played the whole game and not just sub packages I would say this is by far this coming out party as an every down NFL safety. Throw in the fact that he played a little corner down the stretch when injuries forced spann in.

We've seen glimpse's but this was a total package.

Wish I could say the same for Sanders...

I hear you but after Rodney went down Merriweathers importance increased by a lot so I think this game was a milestone for him. This was his first game without Rodney out there to help him I just was so encouraged by the way he was flyign around on the field. The guy is a stud in the making.

Not really missed IMO. He wasn't going to be nearly as much as in the past. IMO there were mental screwups in the secondary, that was about it. On the big Avery TD one of our safeties pretty much tackled on of our corners and let Avery crawl down the field if he wanted too. I couldn't see the exact players, I was at the bar.

I think that's where he was really missed.

Considering that he played the whole game and not just sub packages I would say this is by far this coming out party as an every down NFL safety. Throw in the fact that he played a little corner down the stretch when injuries forced spann in.

We've seen glimpse's but this was a total package.

Wish I could say the same for Sanders...

Fair point, you gave him props. I'm just being nitpicky.

I wish I could as well. Why a player in his 3rd year is still making a lot of mental errors, I don't know.

Fair point, you gave him props. I'm just being nitpicky.

I wish I could as well. Why a player in his 3rd year is still making a lot of mental errors, I don't know.

I hear ya. He was out of position, trailing the play, and taking bad angles all day. Remember when Rodney got hurt a couple of years ago and Geno forgot how to play football? Lets hope this is not part two.

Sanders - Not a fan. Belicheck apparently loves him though. Probably a high character guy and hard worker. But does that really matter if he keeps messing up during the game?

Meriweather - Love the versatility. Hard hitter attitude. Good coverage and aggressive vs. the run. Finally he gets his chance to be a full time starter. I think by then end of the year ppl will be shocked at how Sanders was starting over him during the first few weeks.

On the big Avery TD one of our safeties pretty much tackled on of our corners and let Avery crawl down the field if he wanted too. I couldn't see the exact players, I was at the bar.

It was James Sanders, ofcourse.

So, no Mike Richardson sucks, threads? He's been my dark horse pick for a while, but boy did he get roasted in that game.

Is that it for him, or will they chalk it up to rust and try to work him in somewhere?

Oh, fanatstic INT return by O'Neal. He's been looking bad, but they sure need whatever they can get at DB these days.

Last edited:

It was James Sanders, ofcourse.

Actually, it was Hobbs who tackled Sanders.

Meriweather looked extremely good. He's very fluid and plays very strong in coverage and against the run. One thing I noticed is that he has a nose for the play - he seems to have the same intuition Rodney displays, seeming to know whether the play is a run or a pass and where it's likely going a split second before the snap.

This guy's a keeper.

Actually, it was Hobbs who tackled Sanders.

Meriweather looked extremely good. He's very fluid and plays very strong in coverage and against the run. One thing I noticed is that he has a nose for the play - he seems to have the same intuition Rodney displays, seeming to know whether the play is a run or a pass and where it's likely going a split second before the snap.

This guy's a keeper.

Sounds like Bob Sanders, without being injury prone, hopefully.
Go Pats:singing:

Sounds like Bob Sanders, without being injury prone, hopefully.
Go Pats:singing:

Or the early Eugene Wilson, God forbid...

Avery was gashing us the whole game. Meriweather played well from what I saw. He has been putting up some pretty good games. With Rodney out, he is definitely going to get the snaps to develop as a safety.

I think that's where he was really missed.

Rodney hadn't seen the deep part of the field all season. When they are in the base 3-4 and it was just Sanders and Harrison, Rodney was up most of the time getting near the box. When Meriweather was on the field, Rodney was covering the TE or receiver in the slot. Meriweather and Sanders have been patrolling the deep part of the field so far this season - and in that particular play, it was Sanders who made the mistake. Meriweather has been great in coverage all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST