PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady Unretiring

GettyImages_1040377.jpg
Hey, McDonald's fries are good. Remember when I ordered them from you yesterday at the Drive through? Next time a little bit more salt, please...
LonelyFeistyBovine-size_restricted.gif

The cynic in me says this whole thing was planned

I think he had some friction with Arians, and thought he could get out of the contract. By making Bucs sign someone else and showing up in camp forcing them to release him. But Bucs seemed to be going down draft route to keep open the possibility of him returning. And in that case might as well return now and do training.

He basically miscalculated his ability to get out of the contract. He won’t sign any extension now. He can go to 49Ers or a different team next year.

He just had an MVP season. Didn’t make any sense for him to be retiring.

I think he had some friction with Arians, and thought he could get out of the contract. By making Bucs sign someone else and showing up in camp forcing them to release him. But Bucs seemed to be going down draft route to keep open the possibility of him returning. And in that case might as well return now and do training.

He basically miscalculated his ability to get out of the contract. He won’t sign any extension now. He can go to 49Ers or a different team next year.

He just had an MVP season. Didn’t make any sense for him to be retiring.
Nice theory. Do you have any basis for it?

Nice theory. Do you have any basis for it?

Yes. Plenty of reports of friction.

And plenty of reports of Bucs not at all interested in allowing Brady to play elsewhere. Brady shouldn't have signed an extension if he wanted to have options open.

Arians said he'd only trade Brady for "five No. 1s"

Also Brady's "retirement" post, which never used the word retirement, was cleared focused on Bucs fans and organization for a reason. He was leaving the Bucs, and not retiring. Pats fans were miffed for no reason at no mention of Patriots.

And the Bucs were going to keep Brady on roster till June 1st regardless to split the dead-cap hit.

And pretty much as soon as he said bye to Bucs he started talking about "going to take things as they come". Almost immediately. So clearly he had other plans rather than retiring.

I think he could still have engineered an exit if he waited till July or August to come but maybe he figured no other team would wait that long, and also he won't get training camp with new team so what's the point. So while Bucs are in cap-hell and he'd rather exploit cap situation in another team, he doesn't have that flexibility because he signed this extension.

I think he asks the Bucs to go all-in one more year, destroy their future cap situation even more. Gives it a solid go and try and win.

And next year he can go to another team and asks them to go all-in. Maybe 49ers or someone else.

I still see 2 more years from him.

And plenty of reports of Bucs not at all interested in allowing Brady to play elsewhere. Brady shouldn't have signed an extension if he wanted to have options open.

Also Brady's "retirement" post, which never used the word retirement, was cleared focused on Bucs fans and organization for a reason. He was leaving the Bucs, and not retiring. Pats fans were miffed for no reason at no mention of Patriots.

And the Bucs were going to keep Brady on roster till June 1st regardless to split the dead-cap hit.

And pretty much as soon as he said bye to Bucs he started talking about "going to take things as they come". Almost immediately. So clearly he had other plans rather than retiring.

I think he could still have engineered an exit if he waited till July or August to come but maybe he figured no other team would wait that long, and also he won't get training camp with new team so what's the point. So while Bucs are in cap-hell and he'd rather exploit cap situation in another team, he doesn't have that flexibility because he signed this extension.

I think he asks the Bucs to go all-in one more year, destroy their future cap situation even more. Gives it a solid go and try and win.

And next year he can go to another team and asks them to go all-in. Maybe 49ers or someone else.

Thanks for the articles, though there's no way that I'm reading anything from the globe after what they did.

I find it interesting that, as you mentioned, Brady didn't use the word retirement. That should tell us that he was planning on coming back.

If he really does play another two years it will be very interesting to see how much he falls off. He looked awfully good for any age last year.

Also Brady is looking at Rodgers' $50m per year 3 yr deal and Stafford's $40m per year 4 year deal and thinks he made a mistake locking in for $25m for 1 more year. He could easily have gotten $40m or even $50m for a 1 year deal.

And all this talk about Brady retiring. I find it hard to see him retiring if some team offers him $100m for 2 more years after this. $100m is $100m. I recall Masayoshi Son of Softbank meeting Jerry Yang, Yahoo CEO and founder, in mid 90s and offered to buy a third of the company for $100m, well above current valuation. Jerry says "I don't need a hundred million dollars". Son says "Jerry, everyone needs a hundred million dollars". Son bought the stake.

Last edited:

The tensions between Brady and BA were disputed by BA, Brady and Leftwich. There's a lot of conjecture out there about what happened around his retirement / un-retirement, but that's all it is, conjecture. To believe this was a ploy by Brady to force his way out of Tpa to another team would require believing that Brady has no clue how the dynamics of NFL contracts and FAcy works since doing so would have been almost impossible w/o the Bucs consent. In addition, it's not like he had teams lining up during his first bout at FAcy (I believe only 3 teams showed interest), and now he's 2 years older.

The simplest explanation is that he was conflicted about retiring at all and after seeing the lay of the NFC, getting commitments from OBP of going all in, and convincing his wife this is what makes him happy, he decided to come back.

The tensions between Brady and BA were disputed by BA, Brady and Leftwich. There's a lot of conjecture out there about what happened around his retirement / un-retirement, but that's all it is, conjecture. To believe this was a ploy by Brady to force his way out of Tpa to another team would require believing that Brady has no clue how the dynamics of NFL contracts and FAcy works since doing so would have been almost impossible w/o the Bucs consent. In addition, it's not like he had teams lining up during his first bout at FAcy (I believe only 3 teams showed interest), and now he's 2 years older.

The simplest explanation is that he was conflicted about retiring at all and after seeing the lay of the NFC, getting commitments from OBP of going all in, and convincing his wife this is what makes him happy, he decided to come back.

Ben Volin on M&F shares interesting theory connecting Tom Brady's return to Brian Flores' lawsuit

He had a relatively poor 2019. Now he won SB and then had an MVP season. If you want a 1 year rental, Brady’s as good or better a bet as ANY other QB in the NFL

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back