PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady Sr - Brady's Future in New England is Up to Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
at this point, you dont move on from Brady. The Patriots had their chance to move on from him when we had Jimmy G. Kraft stepped in the last minute and squashed that. I suspect it will be the same. TB12 is no fool. he knows his skills are declining and wont hang around like Manning did. I think it is really up to Kraft

I don't know what gives you the idea Brady's skills are declining. Were it his throws to empty parts of the field with Meyers, Gunner, N'Keal, Izzo, LaCosse trying to figure out which route to run?

I have to believe that BB wants Brady on year to year contracts. It would be irresponsible for the Pats to sign him for 2-3 years when at his age he can retire or go downhill quick and they would be stuck with his cap hit.

I don’t think Brady wants to be on a year to year and that’s the issue.

You think it would be irresponsible for Pats to sign a 2 year deal? Give me a break. So if they had signed a 2 year deal this summer, you'd be upset right now that Brady was on contract for 2020? Come on man.

Lets review Team Brady's efforts in the past 2 weeks:

Guerrero: Tom wants to play to 47
Don Yee's mouthpiece Tom Curran: Brady has had it
Tommy Sr: If Brady leaves, blame Belichick

Yeah....no narrative construction here (LMFAO)

at this point, you dont move on from Brady. The Patriots had their chance to move on from him when we had Jimmy G. Kraft stepped in the last minute and squashed that. I suspect it will be the same. TB12 is no fool. he knows his skills are declining and wont hang around like Manning did. I think it is really up to Kraft

Had TWO opportunities to draft Lamar Jackson

Jackson 25 TD 5 INT, 109 passer rating...950 yards rushing

Lets review Team Brady's efforts in the past 2 weeks:

Guerrero: Tom wants to play to 47
Don Yee's mouthpiece Tom Curran: Brady has had it
Tommy Sr: If Brady leaves, blame Belichick

Yeah....no narrative construction here (LMFAO)
So?

You think it would be irresponsible for Pats to sign a 2 year deal? Give me a break. So if they had signed a 2 year deal this summer, you'd be upset right now that Brady was on contract for 2020? Come on man.

Absolutely, He’s 42 years old.

I’ll say it again: not giving Brady the extension he wanted was a bad move by the Patriots. For the first time, the Patriots themselves are “the doubters” that motivate Brady. He has talked about playing into his mid-40s for years. He has taken so many hometown discounts and increased the value of this franchise in a massive way. The Patriots should be bending over backwards to let Brady decide how long he wants to play for. While most NFL players don’t have the luxury of making these decisions, Brady is the greatest ever and one of the most beloved athletes in sports history (by his fans.). Instead he is uncertain about the next few years, whether he will need to put his kids into new schools and relocate the family, etc.

If for a couple of years the Patriots aren’t 1000% competitive due to their loyalty to Brady, then so be it. The guy has been far from Brett Favre in his overtures about wanting to continue playing...they have already moved on from Jimmy G. to ride out the Brady train. Brady is just synonymous with this dynasty and the Patriots greatest run in pro sports history. Don’t put the fans in a scenario where he’s playing for another team. Do the Lakers regret overpaying Kobe for his last few years? The Yankees with Derek Jeter? Absolutely not. This is one case where a year too late is indeed better than a hear too early. Fandom is a huge part of the NFL, and this is such an enormous thing for so many Patriots fans, keeping #12 though his retirement.

Next spring will represent a difficult call for all parties involved. There are already a few threads on this site where members complain about the lack of talent around him.
Used to be Brady made everybody around him better. And won no matter what their deficiencies were. That doesn’t seem to be happening now.

Used to be Brady made everybody around him better. And won no matter what their deficiencies were. That doesn’t seem to be happening now.

He’s 42 now. Do see the ease offense that Brees has at this age and how it’s designed for short, easy passes with lots of separation? Brady may have been capable of spinning this into gold a few years ago; because he’s no longer able to work absolute magic in creating production out of very little doesn’t mean he is suddenly a bad QB. He’s a QB who needs more help than this, which is also like almost every QB in the league.

He’s 42 now. Do see the ease offense that Brees has at this age and how it’s designed for short, easy passes with lots of separation? Brady may have been capable of spinning this into gold a few years ago; because he’s no longer able to work absolute magic in creating production out of very little doesn’t mean he is suddenly a bad QB. He’s a QB who needs more help than this, which is also like almost every QB in the league.

If that is how Bill/Kraft are thinking, that means he should not be paid a big money/Top 5 deal.

Tom Sr.- It's Bill's decision

Tom Jr. - It's Kraft's decision

It's probably just an algorithm to Bill. Stidham is making 600k and change. For pure math lets call it 700K and put Brady at 28M. At his peak Brady was a perfect 10, what does Bill value him at now? Let's say it's a 9.0 and Stidham he projects to be a 7.5 year one and an 8.0 year two. Is Tom 4X better than Stidham? QB is an interesting animal

Then for the 27M leftover he can plug in an upgrade at TE (Hooper as an example), resign Thuny, add a quality DT, DE and start to retool the safety position which while still really good is getting older.

Obviously I've way oversimplified the scenario but I really think he'll just sit down with Ernie, run the numbers and either Tom will be resigned for a 1 year deal to keep Bill's options open or he extends a low ball offer so Tom can't say they didn't offer him a contract and that's the end.

Taking Kraft and his volatile emotions out of the deal, it should be up to BB and of course TFB. Year to year at these ages makes management sense. After each season they frankly discuss parameters. Should they find themselves really wide apart, say BB decides TFB is not worth top money, then they agree to part ways rather than a protracted give & take Kabuki theater show. Bill puts Plan B in place spending the cap money for vets. QB is the unresolved Pachyderm in the Room.
If team T looks good to Tom as a contender & final destination and they have cap to burn, BB is not likely to sign a record breaking contract. Kraft could be a problem here, but then he let his last $100M Golden Boy QB get traded away.
Unless BB is intransigent and tells Tommy Boy that his plan is that scrub wideouts are the Patriots way forward, I see Tom here next year at a well paying 1 year contract.

Sign the beast, Bill!

Tom himself said he wants to take it year to year, I don't think the Pat's are crazy for doing the same. At his level he's more likely to regress than improve.

Had TWO opportunities to draft Lamar Jackson

Jackson 25 TD 5 INT, 109 passer rating...950 yards rushing
nobody thought he was going to put up the type of numbers he has this year. If anyone says differently, they are not truthful.

Bernie Brady?

Tommy Kosar?

These kinds of threads make me happy that I root for the laundry. I'm amazed by and grateful for all Brady has accomplished, but if he's gone next year, so be it. I'll be curious how he does elsewhere, but little more.

Frankly - and this may sound strange from someone who posts here a few times a day - I don't care all that much about football anymore. It's mostly entertainment with some vestigial emotional trappings that seem to slacken a little more each year. I'd probably have moved on entirely if my kids hadn't become passionate fans. The irony is I spent years trying to convince everyone that football was better than Dora and it finally pays off when my own interest is lessening. :)

Of course, the other reason to come here is that you can't unsee just how poorly informed most media members are. Even a passing interest is better sated here than on ESPN or EEI. Many thanks to you guys for that. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey