Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Interesting read:

Tom Brady's future rests with Bill Belichick, Tom Brady Sr. says

Here's the key quote:

“You know, I don’t know. It’s hard for me to envision him playing somewhere else. He wants to play. But ultimately, it’s Bill’s decision,” said Brady Sr. “Nobody really knows. Bill doesn’t tip his hand. There’s just been insinuations here and there. This is really kind of between those two. They got to decide what they want.

“If Bill says he doesn’t want Tommy, and Tommy wants to play, well, Joe Montana went to Kansas City … just because Bill decides he wants to move on, that won’t dictate Tommy’s future. I’m sure there are a few other teams in the league that would want him.”

He also said he's just spectating, but obviously his quotes are interesting. It sounds like Brady wants to be here, but it might come down to Bill at this point.

Brady's moving to England? :eek::D

LOL, title corrected :D

at this point, you dont move on from Brady. The Patriots had their chance to move on from him when we had Jimmy G. Kraft stepped in the last minute and squashed that. I suspect it will be the same. TB12 is no fool. he knows his skills are declining and wont hang around like Manning did. I think it is really up to Kraft

Reactions: Ian
at this point, you dont move on from Brady. The Patriots had their chance to move on from him when we had Jimmy G. Kraft stepped in the last minute and squashed that. I suspect it will be the same. TB12 is no fool. he knows his skills are declining and wont hang around like Manning did. I think it is really up to Kraft
The thing that makes things a little interesting is the fact that some of what he said obviously came from things Brady must have told him. That probably gives us some insight into the fact that even he doesn't seem to know what his future holds at this point.

Next spring will represent a difficult call for all parties involved. There are already a few threads on this site where members complain about the lack of talent around him.

Breaking: Brady possibly staying in New England? :eek:

The thing that makes things a little interesting is the fact that some of what he said obviously came from things Brady must have told him. That probably gives us some insight into the fact that even he doesn't seem to know what his future holds at this point.
Yeah, frankly this is the most encouraging news on the whole front, straight from a very close source to Brady. Brady wants to be here. If BB doesn't want Brady around, given his status as one of the best coaches of all time, there has to be something he's seeing that he thinks isn't correctable. Personally I haven't seen it - his mistakes are similar and as frequent as they've been in the past, and I see no loss in arm strength, poise, pocket movement, decision making, and accuracy except on the really short swing passes (not sure what that issue is....). But that's just my amateur eyes.

Well ****, just put it right out there.

This is what Brady Sr. has been saying basically since 2013 or something, I think - Brady wants to stay a Patriot forever, but it's ultimately up to Bill, who doesn't give away his plans, and Brady can always go the Montana route if he has to leave and can still play.

Yeah, frankly this is the most encouraging news on the whole front, straight from a very close source to Brady. Brady wants to be here. If BB doesn't want Brady around, given his status as one of the best coaches of all time, there has to be something he's seeing that he thinks isn't correctable.
Talk is cheap. We'll know one way or the other how much Brady wants to be here when we see what his contract demands are in March.

What's more odd to me is what @Deus Irae mentioned in the Curran radio interview the other day, where Curran said it's not even the length of the contract that's the issue but just wanting to get paid better. In theory, this should really be music to Bill Belichick (the economics major) ear as it is to my ears as an actuary. The longer the terms of a deal, the more inherent risk there is in it, and therefore in theory there should be some discounting for a longer term deal (partially offset by inflation - aka cap increases). A one year deal has very little risk.

A 1 year $30M deal is just 15% of the cap (before accounting for his other dead money). If he declines next year, they can ditch him after 2020 with zero cap ramifications. If he still plays well, sign him to a 1 year $33M deal for 2021. Etc. I would figure they'd be all over that.

Talk is cheap. We'll know one way or the other how much Brady wants to be here when we see what his contract demands are in March.
And you can say the same thing regarding BB and Kraft.

Interesting read:

Tom Brady's future rests with Bill Belichick, Tom Brady Sr. says

Here's the key quote:

“You know, I don’t know. It’s hard for me to envision him playing somewhere else. He wants to play. But ultimately, it’s Bill’s decision,” said Brady Sr. “Nobody really knows. Bill doesn’t tip his hand. There’s just been insinuations here and there. This is really kind of between those two. They got to decide what they want.

“If Bill says he doesn’t want Tommy, and Tommy wants to play, well, Joe Montana went to Kansas City … just because Bill decides he wants to move on, that won’t dictate Tommy’s future. I’m sure there are a few other teams in the league that would want him.”

He also said he's just spectating, but obviously his quotes are interesting. It sounds like Brady wants to be here, but it might come down to Bill at this point.
Placing the onus on BB when $$$$ and duration must be agreed upon by both sides is as disingenuous as it gets. Sorry Tommy Sr.

Why are people here just assuming that Brady wants kookoo bananas insane contract terms when he's never done that before? Where is this even coming from? Did somebody post a rumor on twitter that everybody's just taking as gospel or something?

It's like a clique of posters here just started taking it for granted that Brady is acting in bad faith trying to crap on the team out of nowhere and it's confusing as hell.

What's more odd to me is what @Deus Irae mentioned in the Curran radio interview the other day, where Curran said it's not even the length of the contract that's the issue but just wanting to get paid better. In theory, this should really be music to Bill Belichick (the economics major) ear as it is to my ears as an actuary. The longer the terms of a deal, the more inherent risk there is in it, and therefore in theory there should be some discounting for a longer term deal (partially offset by inflation - aka cap increases). A one year deal has very little risk.

A 1 year $30M deal is just 15% of the cap (before accounting for his other dead money). If he declines next year, they can ditch him after 2020 with zero cap ramifications. If he still plays well, sign him to a 1 year $33M deal for 2021. Etc. I would figure they'd be all over that.

I doubt Brady needs the extra money. Maybe he still feels underappreciated. Seems odd that he all of a sudden wants to get paid more money when this team really needs the salary cap room to sign players who may be able to help him.

I have to believe that BB wants Brady on year to year contracts. It would be irresponsible for the Pats to sign him for 2-3 years when at his age he can retire or go downhill quick and they would be stuck with his cap hit.

I don’t think Brady wants to be on a year to year and that’s the issue.

And I think they were all over the year-to-year option, Brady wanted a longterm deal and that is why he made them remove the franchise tag option last season when they redid his contract. And that lack of the tag as a security blanket that gives the team certainty in terms of planning how to divide your resources might end up being the problem.

You can't sign any of your other key players without having certainty about what will happen with the expensive QB. At some point if he doesn't agree to your offer you will have to start redistributing that allocated money to other players to not end up completely empty handed.

It will be an interesting game of chicken unless both sides are honest with each other and can get it done early.

And you can say the same thing regarding BB and Kraft.

I don't see how the same things apply. Brady only has to worry about himself and what he considers fair value.

The front office has to manage an entire roster and try to keep it competitive despite multiple expiring contracts.

I doubt Brady needs the extra money. Maybe he still feels underappreciated. Seems odd that he all of a sudden wants to get paid more money when this team really needs the salary cap room to sign players who may be able to help him.
There is a certain amount of money = respect in the sports world, just like in the real world. Brady was always near the top (if not #1) of total QB pay prior to the last contract. But now we're hearing rumors of Dak Prescott being being $40M a year, and Brady's still getting paid at Joe Flacco levels. I think he just wants a reasonable adjustment, and it was a struggle to get the Patriots to move that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft