PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady: My medical (concussion) history isn't anyone's business

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know the specifics of this incident. None of us do. But I have to respectfully disagree with what Brady said.

Player injuries are supposed to be reported to the league and the league makes it available to the public weekly at a set schedule. Teams have to report missed practice time as well as "significant or noteworthy" injuries. There are rules in place which prevent teams from telling the league "that's none of your business" when a player is injured. There is also a separate protocol for dealing with concussions.

I certainly hope Tom is 100% healthy at all times and I hate the idea that he may have been concussed (even mildly). I know the knee-jerk reaction of this forum is to agree with all-things Brady, but we sure spent a lot of time criticizing Luck and Bell (among others) for hiding injuries this past season.

Brady you usually smart person, way to give a denial that might as well be a confirmation. If he's never been concussed I doubt he'd weasel-word it the way he did. He's the kind of guy that if he'd never had problems in that area, he'd straight up say so.

So why the weasel words? Probably because he has been concussed and hasn't reported it either because he and the team felt it was too minor to report or because reporting would have meant Brady had to sit out which is a thing he goes out of his way to not do. Either way, if this little soundbite was supposed to shut off this line of quesitoning, that just backfired.

Let's say for arguments sake he did have a concussion last year..

If that's the case, then apparently the NFL's "independent neurological consultants" who are on the sidelines failed at their job, and the NFL commish and league failed as well in protecting a player.

Maybe Goodell intentionally told these consultants to ignore it so that Brady would get brain damage! :eek:

If that's the case, then apparently the NFL's "independent neurological consultants" who are on the sidelines failed at their job, and the NFL commish and league failed as well in protecting a player.
Those guys are a joke. We are all sitting at home watching Cam Newton get concussed on live TV in that first game, and they were just twiddling their thumbs...

Those guys are a joke. We are all sitting at home watching Cam Newton get concussed on live TV in that first game, and they were just twiddling their thumbs...
Watching that was the first time I've ever felt sorry for Cam. I'm not usually one to go soft when it comes to the physical nature of football, but no player deserves to be left out to dry like that. (Other than maybe TJ Ward...and Burfict.....and Suh)

And every team in the league is waiting to pounce on the refs to have Brady go through concussion tests every time he gets hit to get him off the field. It's been a far of mine ever since Giselle yapped about Brady playing with concussions. I hope I'm just being paranoid. I'd have to see us loose a game or God forbid a playogff game because of rule loopholes they can use as an excuse.

Brady does not have to report - only the team if they are aware. I easily could see Brady going outside and withholding info from the Pats - not a doubt in my mind he would do that to avoid missing a game. "None of their business" extends to the Pats.

If he truly did have a concussion, however, it actually is the NFLs business.

I do not know the specifics of this incident. None of us do. But I have to respectfully disagree with what Brady said.

Player injuries are supposed to be reported to the league and the league makes it available to the public weekly at a set schedule. Teams have to report missed practice time as well as "significant or noteworthy" injuries. There are rules in place which prevent teams from telling the league "that's none of your business" when a player is injured. There is also a separate protocol for dealing with concussions.

I certainly hope Tom is 100% healthy at all times and I hate the idea that he may have been concussed (even mildly). I know the knee-jerk reaction of this forum is to agree with all-things Brady, but we sure spent a lot of time criticizing Luck and Bell (among others) for hiding injuries this past season.

The team is obliged to report these injuries once their are diagnosed.

Tom is not the team. IMO he is absolutely right to (politely) tell whoever it was to keep their nose out of his business. That's not a precedent a player should set. And it's true for anyone else too.

I certainly hope for his sake he isn't hiding concussions but there's nothing nefarious here.

The team is obliged to report these injuries once their are diagnosed.

Tom is not the team. IMO he is absolutely right to (politely) tell whoever it was to keep their nose out of his business.
Really? You think a player has the right to tell his employer and the coaches and managers and trainers: "hey, my health status is none of your business." You don't think Belichick has the right to know the physical status of the men whom he chooses to take the field on Sunday?

I can't say I agree. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I can't say I agree. I'm not even entirely sure a player has the right to withhold this sort of thing since concussion protocol is agreed to by the league and union, but that's another matter.

Really? You think a player has the right to tell his employer and the coaches and managers and trainers: "hey, my health status is none of your business." You don't think Belichick has the right to know the physical status of the men whom he chooses to take the field on Sunday?

I can't say I agree. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I can't say I agree. I'm not even entirely sure a player has the right to withhold this sort of thing since concussion protocol is agreed to by the league and union, but that's another matter.

Withhold it from his employer? No.

The media or the public? Absolutely.

I suspect that any NFL player at the level of a Tom Brady who says in a public forum he had concussions wouldn't be playing for much longer for obvious reasons. Might as well be telling other teams to take shots at his head. Also can't imagine the union would be thrilled to hear that.

Whether it is their "right" does not change the fact players hide injuries all the time. Brady is fanatical about keeping his job. He could tell himself it is no big deal and keep himself out of the protocol by not telling the team.

Let's say for arguments sake he did have a concussion last year..

Not necessarily. I'm sure players get concussed all the time and don't report it on the sideline. Not all concussions are obvious, either from hits occurring on the field or players' reactions to them. They either must be reported by the players or somehow "observed" by game/team officials.

50 years of the NFL and Brady's the first player to ever not self-report an injury. Damn him!

Seriously, he broke no rules. At worst, he was handicapping himself, not cheating. And the only people who think they have a right to know any player's health are gamblers and fantasy players. Seeing as I don't give a **** about either of those, I ... I, uh, don't give a ****.

Brady you usually smart person, way to give a denial that might as well be a confirmation. If he's never been concussed I doubt he'd weasel-word it the way he did. He's the kind of guy that if he'd never had problems in that area, he'd straight up say so.

So why the weasel words? Probably because he has been concussed and hasn't reported it either because he and the team felt it was too minor to report or because reporting would have meant Brady had to sit out which is a thing he goes out of his way to not do. Either way, if this little soundbite was supposed to shut off this line of quesitoning, that just backfired.

why are YOU, the biggest little weasel on this board, calling ANYONE else alive on the planet a weasel? and BTW Nostradumbass, since YOU can read minds, how about putting this prodigious skill to use and give everyone on the board your stock tips for the next month. Your perpetually persistent negativity day in and out about all things Patriot practically scream "troll!".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes