PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady, in the MVP race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Brady has enough numbers to win it. He needs more yards.

Why?Yards are so overrated. Anybody can throw for 300 yards in today's nfl. I don't think that's gonna be a problem. Heck peter king has a vote and he has brady #1.

Why?Yards are so overrated. Anybody can throw for 300 yards in today's nfl. I don't think that's gonna be a problem. Heck peter king has a vote and he has brady #1.

Yeah, Kitna, Cutler, and Orton light up the board with yardage. I don't see voters rushing to give them the MVP; even Cutler, the QB of a 7-3 team.

It really comes down to the age old debate - does the MVP go to the most valuble player in the league, or to the player with the best numbers?

Brady's numbers this year compare very favorably to every other QB in the conversation, but the only one who can even come close Brady to being the most valuable would be Vick. The Eagles were not even close to being the same team with Kolb in ther for a few weeks.

Last edited:
It really comes down to the age old debate - does the MVP go to the most valuble player in the league, or to the player with the best numbers?

Brady's numbers this year compare very favorably to every other QB in the conversation, but the only one who can even come close Brady to being the most valuable would be Vick. The Eagles were not even close to being the same team with Kolb in ther for a few weeks.

They were actually pretty close to the team they are now. Let's not make more out of that one performance against the Redskins than it really was.

Aside from that, he's missed 4.5 games. Hard to be MVP when you don't even play 70% of the snaps.

Numbers need context, Brady's schedule has been brutal. Rivers has been brutally easy. Even excluding Thursday's performance, Brady has a notably better DVOA than Rivers:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | QUARTERBACKS 2010

Rivers is 4th and is having a great year. But Brady has done it against elite pass defenses, Rivers has done it against the worst pass defenses in the league.

Brady, Rivers, Vick, Ryan are all in the mix for MVP, IMO.

I swear I'm not just a homer. I'm objective. And I'll tell you right now that if Brady beats the Jets, continues anywhere near his current play and gets this team a #1 seed in the AFC that he is the NFL MVP. Vick is a close second but has missed some time. Tom Brady is playing every bit as well as he did in 2007.

Brady is currently MVP. However, there is a 3rd of the season remaining and strong performances by Rivers, Vick, or Manning could sway voters.

Brady is putting up great games versus some of the best teams in the league. He also has the Bears, Packers, and Jets left to go against.

Finally, yards per game is irrelevant when considering QB play. System and game planning matter a lot in yards per game or pass.

Look at Football Outsiders' rank of team offensive efficiency. Pats are number one and by quite a healthy margin. Most of that is at the hand of Brady.

"Peyton has a banged up recieving core, ..." that's what the media always says but they always seem to forget that he still has arguably the best receiver in the league in Wayne, and Pierre G. That argument is B.S just to make a case for Manning, since Brady had done it for most of his career with no names, and he is doing it this year same with Rivers.

I think the MVP award is overrated, all that matters are those rings. All i care about is us to keep winning and go all the way to the Superbowl and win it.

I think Mike vick's play today just sealed the mvp trophy for BRADY.

I think Mike vick's play today just sealed the mvp trophy for BRADY.

Pretty much agree except I think Rivers is still in it. People are big on the stats Rivers has built up despite all the injuries to his receivers. Ultimately I think what Brady has brought to a winning team -- amid so much change -- outweighs that, with five weeks to go.

Taking into account wins, stats, opposition played, defences faced, supporting cast and so on, it has to be Brady at this point. Rivers being the danger if San Diego ends up winning 10 or more games. Ryan and Rodgers lurking.

Brady (9-2)
23 TDs
4 INTs
2,703 yards (66.6% - 7.6 Avg)
105.8 Rating

Rivers (6-5)
23 TDs
9 INTs
3,376 yards (66.2% - 8.9 Avg)
104.9 Rating

Vick (5-1)
13 TDs
1 INT
1,941 passing yards (63.4% - 8.3 Avg)
419 rushing yards (5 TDs - 6.5 Avg)
106.0 Rating

Manning (6-5)
22 TDs
11 INTs
3,344 yards (65.2% - 6.9 Avg)
90.8 Rating

Manning is done in the MVP discussion now and he's 0-3 against the three QBs above him. Ryan, Brees, Rodgers, etc. are all now above Manning in the MVP Race.

Brady is the clear #1 right now.

Last edited:
Goodell would never allow Tom Brady to be in any MVP race...he's Goodell's Ivan Drago and Peytie Poutie is his Rocky

Brady (9-2)
23 TDs
4 INTs
2,703 yards (66.6% - 7.6 Avg)

Rivers (6-5)
23 TDs
9 INTs
3,376 yards (66.2% - 8.9 Avg)

Vick (5-1)
13 TDs
1 INT
1,941 passing yards (63.4% - 8.3 Avg)
419 rushing yards (5 TDs - 6.5 Avg)

Manning (6-5)
22 TDs
11 INTs
3,344 yards (65.2% - 6.9 Avg)

Just for shiggles:

Cassel (7-4)
22 TDs
4 INTs
2,307 yards (60.4% - 7.1 Avg)

Think about that for a second: Matt Cassel is averaging more YPA than Peyton Manning. :singing:

Manning removed himself from the MVP candidacy last night, for sure. Sure, he still remains in a division with the worst passing defenses in the league, and could pile up some stats - but there is no way he can win it over Rivers or Brady now that he's lost to them on back-to-back weeks.

Ryan re-affirmed that he belongs in the MVP talk, IMO, with another gutsy win yesterday. Vick didn't do much to his stock either way.

Honestly, I really could care less if Brady wins the MVP - I just think its a load of crap that Manning gets it undeserved as the de facto champion. Looks like that won't happen this year, so that's a relief.

it's brady's or rivers to lose right now, unless someone emerges as a darkhorse

vick won't get it because people remember who he is, and peyton is having an un-peyton year

it's brady's or rivers to lose right now, unless someone emerges as a darkhorse

vick won't get it because people remember who he is, and peyton is having an un-peyton year

Well, Peyton hasn't deserved the MVP the last two years, and he got it anyway.

This season, Peyton is a middle of the pack QB on a middle of the pack team. He doesn't even deserve a Pro Bowl spot. That could all change, and I have no doubt he is a top 2 QB overall, but just looking at his play this season, I don't see why Cassel wouldn't be ahead of him for the Pro Bowl.

Rivers has had a great year, but he's also had an abnormally easy schedule in terms of pass defenses (and a similarly easy schedule to what Peyton has) - whereas Brady, for the 2nd straight year, has faced a truly brutal series of pass defenses. Where Rivers has really made his mark is by producing no matter who else was on the squad with him. That says something. I used to hate the guy and think he was just another whiney-Manning-face type, but he's really gutsy, and ever since he played us without an ACL in the 07 AFCCG, I've respected him.

Last edited:
Well, Peyton hasn't deserved the MVP the last two years, and he got it anyway.

This season, Peyton is a middle of the pack QB on a middle of the pack team. He doesn't even deserve a Pro Bowl spot. That could all change, and I have no doubt he is a top 2 QB overall, but just looking at his play this season, I don't see why Cassel wouldn't be ahead of him for the Pro Bowl.

Rivers has had a great year, but he's also had an abnormally easy schedule in terms of pass defenses (and a similarly easy schedule to what Peyton has) - whereas Brady, for the 2nd straight year, has faced a truly brutal series of pass defenses. Where Rivers has really made his mark is by producing no matter who else was on the squad with him. That says something. I used to hate the guy and think he was just another whiney-Manning-face type, but he's really gutsy, and ever since he played us without an ACL in the 07 AFCCG, I've respected him.

you can say that about rivers, but the year he had the toughest pass D schedule was 09, and he had a pretty damn good year, in fact it was 09 i believe he led the nfl in qb rating on blitzes or he was 2nd to kurt warner, 2009 or 2008, 0ne of those years lol

we have had an easy schedule, and we should be right there with NE at 9-2 but of course, we've been saddled with the worst special teams in the history of the sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back