PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady hit once every 8.5 attempts since mid 07

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I disagree with you is on the shotgun. I will be very surprised if NE isn't still in the shotgun for at least 60% of their passing plays. Brady is a surgeoun when he can scan the field like that, why would we want him at anything less than his best?

For the same reason you wouldn't constantly use a 3-TE formation with a hall of fame running back.

Taking away uncertainty and the element of surprise is a huge advantage for the defense. We've been paying for it with Brady's increasingly battered body.

There is no circular logic on this one. Do you remember when NE had a 2nd and 2 after an 8 yarder by Maroney following the Hobbs pick? What happened? Two straight runs and a punt on 4th and 5.

NE couldn't run so they had to pass. I don't see why that is hard to see.

One bad rushing series doesn't prove your claim here that they couldn't run so "were forced" to only pass.

The Patriots clearly could not pass in that game, and it makes even less sense why we insisted on continually doing it if your claim that Brady was seriously hurt, was true.

At one point in the game we finally did the right thing by going with very quick passes to counteract the pass rush, like on that 4th quarter drive with Welker catching most of the balls. However, we then reverted back to the same insane game plan where we ended the game on 4 straight slow developing deep pass plays, even though we had all 3 timeouts and needed 40 yards to just tie it.

Hey, give the OL some credit. He might have been knocked around in '07 but he only got hit once in '08.

Referring to the games beginning with the Eagles game in 2007 up to and including the hit in the Chiefs game last year, the article observes “He’s getting sacked about once every 20 attempts.... That’s borderline for safety. And then he’s been hit another 25 or 30 times. He’s getting significant contact once every 8.5 times he drops back. That can’t continue."

The article suggests that this isn't on the O line, but rather on how teams have decided to defense the Pats. Whatever the cause, the odds of injury, whether minor (like the Haynesworth hit) or major (like the knee), go up. Suggests to me that the running game and backfield passes will become more important this year.

Curran: Brady?s back ? how do Pats keep it that way? - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

This article confirms what I and other voices in the wilderness have been saying for the past year and a half: that the SB-winning, Dinking & Dunking, power-running, cold-weather offense has been replaced - and not for the better - by the SB-losing, QB-exposing-empty-backfield, 7-step-dropping, Greatest Show on Turf/Indy Dolts ego-fest.

This OLine, as currently constructed, is in no way equipped to handle the Let's-Kill-Brady-Because-The-League-Hates-the-Patriots attack that all of our opponents will bring.

Taking away uncertainty and the element of surprise is a huge advantage for the defense. We've been paying for it with Brady's increasingly battered body.

Word......

Stone and Maverick - You two really need to stow it since you are BOTH absolutely positively clueless about BBs offense. It wasn't McDaniel's offense. It was BB's. And if you read the Seth Wickersham article, you'd BOTH know that.

It would also teach you both about the philosophy behind it. And its a SOUND philosophy.

Either that, or you two can go back to whatever little nook you've been sharing and keeping yourselves busy in. And just continue to be told you're wrong and that you don't know what you are talking about.

you don't know what you are talking about.

What a surprise, another gem from the resident blowhard on this forum. Can you ever make a post not being derogatory? Likely, no chance, it's in your nature.

We've already discussed this before. You KNOW (yet continually ignore since it goes against your set worldview) that Belichick gives his coordinators tons of leeway and autonomy, under an overall game plan. There have been media articles about this. Even when Eric Mangini was stinking it up as the defensive coordinator, Belichick did not over-ride his coordinator until very late in the season, even though he is a defensive wizard. Just because Belichick adapted Meyer's offense, in no way means he okay's every single play call within a game. There have been countless articles about how Belichick has evolved as a coach and delegates a lot to his coordinators, trusting them to do the right thing (even when they don't). Of course, you already know these things, you simply choose to ignore them, then repeat the same ill informed statements over and over, not unlike the coordinator you defend to death.

Last edited:
Stone and Maverick - You two really need to stow it since you are BOTH absolutely positively clueless about BBs offense. It wasn't McDaniel's offense. It was BB's. And if you read the Seth Wickersham article, you'd BOTH know that.

It would also teach you both about the philosophy behind it. And its a SOUND philosophy.

Either that, or you two can go back to whatever little nook you've been sharing and keeping yourselves busy in. And just continue to be told you're wrong and that you don't know what you are talking about.

I agree. Did people watch the preseason? Brady was in the shotgun just as much this preseason as he was in 2007 (percentage-wise). It was Belichick down in Florida picking Urban Meyer's brain who's spread offense has a lot of its DNA in the Pats' offense.

Will McDaniels get blamed for the Pats' offense this year when Brady is still in the shotgun just as much as he was in 2007 and 2006. The McDaniels' offense will survive McDaniels on this team. Brady loves the shotgun and has a lot of input on the offense especially with an offensive coordinator learning on the job like McDaniels did in 2005.

When will the McDaniels bashing (directly or indirectly) end? The man is gone. People who hate this offense should be more upset with Urban Meyer than McDaniels' anyway.

Last edited:
I agree. Did people watch the preseason? Brady was in the shotgun just as much this preseason as he was in 2007 (percentage-wise). It was Belichick down in Florida picking Urban Meyer's brain who's spread offense has a lot of its DNA in the Pats' offense.

And I'm sure the pre-season is a clear predictor of the regular season, at least in Rob's world. Belichick sets the overall plan, yes, but with Pees and his offensive coordinator O'Brien, they will have a lot of leeway in how the actual in-game calls go, as Belichick has been doing for years now.

Will McDaniels get blamed for the Pats' offense this year when Brady is still in the shotgun just as much as he was in 2007 and 2006. The McDaniels' offense will survive McDaniels on this team. Brady loves the shotgun and has a lot of input on the offense especially with an offensive coordinator learning on the job like McDaniels did in 2005.

Completely disagree based on the off-season personnel additions. What are you going to say when the use of shot gun goes down dramatically this year (less than the 50% of all plays from 06-08)? You can't then pretend that the 2006-2008 years weren't impacted by McDaniels' own style, every unit has had influence from whatever coordinator was there.

It's clear to anyone the defense has looked completely different from 01-04 (Romeo), under Mangini, and now under Pees, and it isn't just due to personnel. Yet, for some offensive stat-whores, somehow all the offensive formations/calls are directly attributed to only Belichick.

People who hate this offense should be more upset with Urban Meyer than McDaniels' anyway.

Don't worry, I'm mad at him too. The Urban Meyer/Texas Tech spread offense, incl. the grotesque, ******ed Empty Backfield (words cannot describe how much I despise it), will send Brady to an early retirement.

I have no idea how we are going to block Tennesse's, Pittsburgh's and Giants D-Lines this year? I hope Big Bill does. Can someone help me out understanding this please? :disagreement::confused:

Blittzburgh and those 2 others is going to smack our O-Lines heads or just go around them when they meet, but still, I have to keep trust in Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe