Status
Not open for further replies.

sturmrider

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Tom Brady admits he wouldn't throw to some receivers he didn't trust

This disappoints me a little because though he said Bill agreed with him, what could he have done as a coach. Put in a receiver he thinks will help the team, but Brady won't even look at him or put in lesser receivers Brady would at least look at.

That to me definitely puts the teams failure last year a lot on Brady's shoulders. Not all, but if you aren't using all your tools then you are less likely to succeed.

Which quarterbacks throw to receivers they don't trust?

I guess Tom really trusted Reche Caldwell.

It does screw with ability to draft or trade when your QB will totally and unpredictably choose who to totally ice out.

Looks like many people were right predicting this.

However, how will this work in Tampa Bay? Will Tom expect the receivers to be mind readers?

I said it before Harry and Meyers are the happiest Tom left followed by their respected agents
Yup, this was my prediction as well.

Last edited:
Sanu, harry, Myers all had catches. Drops too. Thing was after a drop you could predict the next pass would be incomplete ... hmm

I said it before Harry and Meyers are the happiest Tom left followed by their respected agents

Harry yes, Meyers...we will see where he is on the 2020 depth chart. Expecting at least 1, possibly 2 more WRs after the draft. I see DL/OL possibly LB if we stay at 23 but we can fix the WR position rounds 3/4. If I can add Shenault and Duvernay day 2 early day 3 this would be a major improvement to what we had to work with last year.

Add the fact that Brady knew before last season that the writing was on the wall about his future in NE, thus making the ice out thing bigger due to his uncharacteristic moodiness about his future. I thought I could read this, but I may have been overstepping.

This disappoints me a little because though he said Bill agreed with him, what could he have done as a coach. Put in a receiver he thinks will help the team, but Brady won't even look at him or put in lesser receivers Brady would at least look at.

That to me definitely puts the teams failure last year a lot on Brady's shoulders. Not all, but if you aren't using all your tools then you are less likely to succeed.

It does screw with ability to draft or trade when your QB will totally and unpredictably choose who to totally ice out.

raw

He was forced to throw to Meyers and Harry and they both constantly made mistakes. And I ask you to look into the past and name me just one single receiver that Brady froze out who ended up having an actual NFL career with another team. Please do.

Because Brady seems to be a good judge of the reliability of his receivers.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good judge of receivers. He is still one of my favorite Patriots all I'm saying is if you don't use all your tools you are handicapping yourself. Yes Meyers, Harry weren't perfect, but Sanu was one he wanted and trusted. I'm not sure he was much better.

The other issue is it makes it hard to draft a receiver. You have no way of knowing Brady will trust him. Brady wanted established vets at the end, but they didn't always work out either and they take much more of the cap.

How do you keep him happy. Can't draft receivers, the ones you have are going to get older and lose a step. What do you do?

I guess I don't get the unpredictability part. I think it was very predictable. If WRs did not demonstrate they could run the right route or get to the right spot on the field Brady didn't want to throw to them. Very predictable. Brady has always been a QB who wanted to throw to where a guy will be open when the ball arrives. He needs to know the WR will get to the spot he is throwing to and get there on time. Contrast with Bledsoe who would pat, pat, pat the ball until he saw a receiver get open and then rifle it in there. That is not and never was TB. I am having a hard time remembering any WRs who left the Pats because Brady iced them out who went on to become stars or even above average receivers somewhere else.

He was forced to throw to Meyers and Harry and they both constantly made mistakes. And I ask you to look into the past and name me just one single receiver that Brady froze out who ended up having an actual NFL career with another team. Please do.

Because Brady seems to be a good judge of the reliability of his receivers.
Let's take another look at the issue. In 2006, Brady targeted Reche Caldwell 102 times. In the rest of Caldwell's six year NFL career, four seasons with San Diego and one season with Washington after his Pats stay, he was never targeted more than 43 times. My guess is that Brady grew more choosy as he matured as a quarterback. Whether this was a good thing or not is another question.

Last edited:
Looks like many people were right predicting this.

However, how will this work in Tampa Bay? Will Tom expect the receivers to be mind readers?

Tom will need to simplify things IMO

But I’ve also noticed guys with immense talent (Moss, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Gordon, AB) never had those “learning curve” issues.

https://imgflip.com/gif-maker

Worst kept secret ever .... said it for years.
Brady is the GOAT but he is also a b!tch ... :p

tenor.gif

Last edited:
The other issue is it makes it hard to draft a receiver. You have no way of knowing Brady will trust him. Brady wanted established vets at the end, but they didn't always work out either and they take much more of the cap.

How do you keep him happy. Can't draft receivers, the ones you have are going to get older and lose a step. What do you do?

What are you talking about? He had no problem throwing to new receivers if they were on the same page. Branch, Givens, Edelman, Mitchell, Cooks, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Moss... Him not throwing to guys who couldn’t get be in the right spot and on the same page helped him become the GOAT and helped the team win 6 SBs. What would you rather have, Tom throwing more picks which result in more losses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes