PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady admits he wouldn't throw to receivers he didn't trust

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy can’t get open or be where he needs to be when the ball is thrown, let’s target him and put him in the game. Imagine thinking like that, if the WR can’t be trusted he can’t play it’s that simple no matter how good he and the back QB looked vs XFL players in preseason.

Go back and look at the all-22 breakdowns on twitter. Meyers was open a lot last year but Brady had already soured on him bc as a rookie he made some rookie mistakes.

Go back and look at the all-22 breakdowns on twitter. Meyers was open a lot last year but Brady had already soured on him bc as a rookie he made some rookie mistakes.
Go back and learn football, open doesn't mean open depending on alot of factors. It's not yard ball.

If every play, and every practice counts, and not a moment can be wasted, why does BB give the players days off pretty much every year?

Patriots WR/TE signee/draftee/trade/veteran group for 2019:

Maurice Harris was cut
Bruce Ellington was cut
Matt LaCosse just sucks
Phillip Dorsett (re-sign) had been with the team for years
Austin Sefarian-Jenkins was released
Ryan Davis was cut
Jakobi Meyers
Xavier Ubosi - was cut
Ben Watson had an age problem, not a missed Tom in OTAs problem
Dontrelle Inman was cut
Gunner Olszewski was an ST guy
Edelman didn't need OTAs
Brown was an in season addition, as was Sanu
Gordon was suspended indefinitely during OTAs
Thomas was rehabbing his achilles
N'Keal Harry missed the first half of the season due to injury

In other words, with the possible exception of of a few hours of Brady/Meyers, absolutely nothing was lost by Brady not being at OTAs.

So please, enough with the nonsense about OTAs.

Tom Brady admits he wouldn't throw to some receivers he didn't trust

This disappoints me a little because though he said Bill agreed with him, what could he have done as a coach. Put in a receiver he thinks will help the team, but Brady won't even look at him or put in lesser receivers Brady would at least look at.

That to me definitely puts the teams failure last year a lot on Brady's shoulders. Not all, but if you aren't using all your tools then you are less likely to succeed.
It is also difficult as a young player to be told that no matter how hard you try to learn the offense, he won't throw to you unless he gets to know you or respects what you've done elsewhere. And it isn't easy to develop a rapport with a living legend who probably intimidates rookies with both his stardom and intensity.

Brady needed good weapons but in a salary cap league, you've got to "grow your own."

I suspect Stidham might be good for the young receivers more than Brady, even if Stidham is nowhere near the same level of talent.

Last edited:
So please, enough with the nonsense about OTAs.
Brady had a terrible group around him this past season down the stretch. But I'm not sure you can just dismiss that the revolving door around him wasn't happening precisely because he hadn't built a rapport with any of the new guys.

In other words, the new guys kept getting shuffled out because Brady hadn't tried to grow to trust them. And this dismissive attitude seemed to start after the Philadelphia loss. Despite any sour grapes, though, Brady and a great defense/running game clawed their way to a Super Bowl against the Rams. In many respects, that one is as impressive as 2001 considering what a dumpster fire against good teams we were the following season and how angry Brady was with the organization.

It's tragic that Aaron Dobson, in 12 games during his rookie season, out-produced all except Edelman and James White last season. And Dobson wasn't even good during his rookie year.

Go back and learn football, open doesn't mean open depending on alot of factors. It's not yard ball.
I also recall Brady throwing the ball away a lot when guys were open. Some of it may be the schemes were trying to trick him. Part of it also may have been Brady losing a step mentally compared to a few years ago. After enough hits, that's bound to happen.

I also recall Brady throwing the ball away a lot when guys were open. Some of it may be the schemes were trying to trick him. Part of it also may have been Brady losing a step mentally compared to a few years ago. After enough hits, that's bound to happen.
That may be true, not saying I agree at all with it, but it has nothing to do with Brady targeting certain receivers throughout his career. Last year I saw some **** play, some darts thrown in games in bad wind and rain with drops all over the place, and everything in between. I do not think he's done at all. Time will tell. If he wants it, we should know better by now, he can do it.

Which quarterbacks throw to receivers they don't trust?
Brady did before he became a me first needy diva. Brady use to throw to who ever was open before he became more interested in his own stats instead of team goals.

Surprise Surprise, who didn't know what Brady and didn't do throwing to receivers or not throwing to them. Brady is gone. Jason Tatum is the man now. Let the egomaniac.

Brady had a terrible group around him this past season down the stretch. But I'm not sure you can just dismiss that the revolving door around him wasn't happening precisely because he hadn't built a rapport with any of the new guys.

For your sake, I hope to God that you're kidding.

Ellington did not play for anyone in 2019
Harris did not play for anyone in 2019
Inman had 12 total catches, for 2 teams, in 2019

Last edited:
He was forced to throw to Meyers and Harry and they both constantly made mistakes. And I ask you to look into the past and name me just one single receiver that Brady froze out who ended up having an actual NFL career with another team. Please do.

Because Brady seems to be a good judge of the reliability of his receivers.

Several all star receivers who had tons of success elsewhere but seemingly iced out by Brady upon joining....

For your sake, I hope to God that you're kidding.
I'm not. Brady did not have a good group to work with. But you make do with what you have and the more patient Brady of yesteryear would have whipped them into something more respectable.

It was apparent Brady had checked out compared to his usual self. Beyond his leadership on the field, you can tell he was checked out based on his accepting the state of the offense in press conferences. In the past, he remained ever cheerful - not this past season.

I don't blame him for the state of the roster or getting frustrated. But it is what it is... and denying that Brady didn't share some responsibility is basically ball washing.

I'm not. Brady did not have a good group to work with. But you make do with what you have and the more patient Brady of yesteryear would have whipped them into something more respectable.

It was apparent Brady had checked out compared to his usual self. Beyond his leadership on the field, you can tell he was checked out based on his accepting the state of the offense in press conferences. In the past, he remained ever cheerful - not this past season.

I don't blame him for the state of the roster or getting frustrated. But it is what it is... and denying that Brady didn't share some responsibility is basically ball washing.

Dude, stop. You may have missed this, since it was a later edit, but

Ellington did not play for anyone in 2019
Harris did not play for anyone in 2019
Inman had 12 total catches, for 2 teams, in 2019

OTAs were not the problem

The offense is predicated on receivers seeing the field the same way as the QB. If Tom doesn’t trust you to be in that spot, he’s not going to risk an errant throw to the defense, throw in tight coverage, etc...

At a certain point, you have to move on. Especially if opposing defenses catch on to the mistrust
I would be surprised if very many rookie wide receivers saw the field the same way as a great QB with many years of experience. I doubt that Brady himself, when he started during his second year, had the vision he has had at the end of his career.

If Brady went to OTA we would’ve won the super bowl, am I doing this right?

How will Brady react when Mike Evans fails to get seperation or stretch the field during some plays? Will he ignore him? Go elsewhere? I understand not wanting to throw picks. But not every receiver/TE is flawless.

Last edited:
How will Brady react when Mike Evans fails to get seperation or stretch the field? Will he ignore him? Go elsewhere? I understand not wanting to throw picks. But not every receiver/TE can be Randy Moss or Gronk right off the bat.

wtf hahaha

It does screw with ability to draft or trade when your QB will totally and unpredictably choose who to totally ice out.

Doesn't sound like there was anything unpredictable about it. He threw to the guys who were reliably where they were supposed to be. He didn't throw to the guys that weren't. And he wouldn't be half the QB he was if he did it any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back