PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bowl games - draft prospect watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas Bowl Western Michigan vs. Rice
When: Dec 30, 2008 Time: 8:00 PM EST TV: NFL Network

Players to watch - Western Michigan

#6 Londen Fryar, CB, (rSr), 5-11, 192 - Mid Day Two

#9 Louis Delmas, FS, (Sr), 6-0, 196 - Early Day Two.

#27 Jamarko Simmons, WR, (rSr), 6-2, 234 - Late rounds.

#26 C.J. Wilson, SS, (rSr), 6-2, 206 - UDFA

#82 Branden Ledbetter, TE, (rSr), 6-5, 232 - Late rounds.

#3 Tim Hiller, QB, (rJr), 6-5, 228 - Mid Day Two.

Players to watch - Rice

#81 Jarett Dillard, WR, (rSr), 5-11, 185 - Mid Day Two.

#16 Chase Clement, QB, (rSr), 6-1, 210 - UDFA.

#30 Andrew Sendejo, FS, (Jr), 6-1, 210 - UDFA.

What is your take on James Casey from Rice ? He looked impressive in this bowl, both catching and running the ball.

from walterfootball.com/draft2009TE.php

James Casey**, Rice
Height: 6-4. Weight: 240.
Projected 40 Time: 4.66.
Projected Round (2010): 3.
1/5/09: It appears as though Casey, 24, will declare as a true sophomore. He finished the 2008 campaign with 111 receptions, 1,329 yards and 13 touchdowns.

10/26/08: James Casey is having a great sophomore year. He has 67 catches, 803 yards and six touchdowns through just eight games. Because of his age, Casey must declare ASAP despite being just a true sophomore.

7/27/08: Let's see... James Casey had 46 catches for 585 yards and four touchdowns as a freshman despite not registering a single reception until Week 4. He runs a solid 40. So, why is he so low on this list? Well, he turns 25 in September 2009, so there's not much more room for growth.
rfootball.com/draft2009TE.php

What is your take on James Casey from Rice ? He looked impressive in this bowl, both catching and running the ball.

from walterfootball.com/draft2009TE.php

James Casey**, Rice
Height: 6-4. Weight: 240.
Projected 40 Time: 4.66.
Projected Round (2010): 3.
1/5/09: It appears as though Casey, 24, will declare as a true sophomore. He finished the 2008 campaign with 111 receptions, 1,329 yards and 13 touchdowns.

10/26/08: James Casey is having a great sophomore year. He has 67 catches, 803 yards and six touchdowns through just eight games. Because of his age, Casey must declare ASAP despite being just a true sophomore.

7/27/08: Let's see... James Casey had 46 catches for 585 yards and four touchdowns as a freshman despite not registering a single reception until Week 4. He runs a solid 40. So, why is he so low on this list? Well, he turns 25 in September 2009, so there's not much more room for growth.
rfootball.com/draft2009TE.php
I haven't watched that game yet to check out his blocking - what are your thoughts on him as a blocker, or does he split wide all the time?

I haven't watched that game yet to check out his blocking - what are your thoughts on him as a blocker, or does he split wide all the time?

In the bowl game he appeared to split wide most of the time. Unfortunately I didn't record the game so I am unable to go back and take a look.

In the bowl game he appeared to split wide most of the time. Unfortunately I didn't record the game so I am unable to go back and take a look.
From what I could see of the Rice offense it looked like a "spread" and the kind where the TE would be more of a bigger WR than a conventional TE. I have it recorded and will be working through a number of recorded games the next few weeks to see who catches my eye.

Ohio State v Texas

Entertaining game that reminded me of the Pats v Giants SB in the way it played out.

Players who either stood out to me or whom I followed.

Jenkins - a stud, shutdown CB. Barring a trade up into the top 3-5 spots, something I see as being highly improbable, the Pats don't have a chance at drafting the kid barring a complete and utter offseason meltdown by MJ in the days prior to the draft.

Orakpo - disappointed by his performance. Got tangled up too much and couldn't free himself from blocks. Just didn't strike me as having good playing strength. I've crossed him off my Pats wish list.

Laurinaitis - is solid in all phases of the game, is generally around the ball and makes plays. Said this, I don't think there's an attribute of his game that's great or excellent nor is he a playmaker. As such, I personally hope the Pats do not use a first rounder on the kid should he fall that far.

B. Wells - had a great first half and did nothing in the second half. If Jordan's resigned, then RB is really not a need for a day one pick.

Robiski - had an excellent game in a losing cause. Even with Moss and Welker on board, I'd have no problem with the Pats using a second rounder on him. He can play.

Cosby - also had an excellent game, ran solid routes, has good hands and just makes plays. I think his stock rose with tonight's game winning performance. I've no problem should the Pats elect to use a third rounder on him.

I thought Larinaitis had a solid game. He proved to me he can blitz, he beat the Texas OT off the edge on one blitz. He proved to me he can cover, since he was in zone almost the entire game.
I did not get to see him take on any OL guys in the running game, which is more of a reflection of just how poor Texas was running the ball.

I did notice that he hits poeple and they do not always go down. A couple of times it was because he was trying to rip and strip the ball out, but other times, he appeared to get dragged. Not a good thing!

I guess we wait for the senior bowl practicves to learn about his abilities.

Ohio State v Texas

Entertaining game that reminded me of the Pats v Giants SB in the way it played out.

Players who either stood out to me or whom I followed.

Robiski - had an excellent game in a losing cause. Even with Moss and Welker on board, I'd have no problem with the Pats using a second rounder on him. He can play.

Cosby - also had an excellent game, ran solid routes, has good hands and just makes plays. I think his stock rose with tonight's game winning performance. I've no problem should the Pats elect to use a third rounder on him.

Yeah, Robiskie looked pretty good. He's a big target, but he's no burner, so I wouldn't feel like we were taking Bethel/Chad v 3.0. He's more a possession guy and also had a father who coached in the NFL I believe, so hopefully a strong work ethic and love for the game has been passed down to him.

I liked Cosby too.

The other guy who stuck out a little bit at times was Freeman. Though he just looks too small to be a Pats LB (though he is allegedly 6'2 240, which ain't bad) he has speed and looks like he could play a few positions.

Ohio State v Texas

B. Wells - had a great first half and did nothing in the second half. If Jordan's resigned, then RB is really not a need for a day one pick.

Doubt there is much interest in Wells on this board, but he did not impress me. He is fine when there is a huge hole to run thru,, but I'd rather have the older version of Cory Dillon, nevermind the younger version.

Wonder what his career will be like,,

So like with my ususal predictions, he'll probably go top 15.

Last edited:
Yeah, Robiskie looked pretty good. He's a big target, but he's no burner, so I wouldn't feel like we were taking Bethel/Chad v 3.0. He's more a possession guy and also had a father who coached in the NFL I believe, so hopefully a strong work ethic and love for the game has been passed down to him.

I liked Cosby too.

The other guy who stuck out a little bit at times was Freeman. Though he just looks too small to be a Pats LB (though he is allegedly 6'2 240, which ain't bad) he has speed and looks like he could play a few positions.

Cosby is an amazing mid-range receiver. BUT remember that he is already 26. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. For one, he is the most mature and level-headed guy on a Longhorns team stocked with mature and level-headed guys. But he's also a pretty old for a WR coming out of college.

Personally, I'd take Cosby with a 4th. The dude is a good returner and is a playmaking receiver in the mid-range passing game.

Cosby is an amazing mid-range receiver. BUT remember that he is already 26. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. For one, he is the most mature and level-headed guy on a Longhorns team stocked with mature and level-headed guys. But he's also a pretty old for a WR coming out of college.

Personally, I'd take Cosby with a 4th. The dude is a good returner and is a playmaking receiver in the mid-range passing game.

Good point. For us though - I feel the fact that he is 26 works to our advantage, and specifically, the clear disadvantage of it doesn't really apply to us. The advantage obviously is the maturity you mention (I wish Chad Jackson had been 26 when we drafted him....). The downside would typically be the obvious - he's older and his NFL career will be 4-5 years shorter for it. However, to the Patriots even more than other teams, this can't really be a factor. Given the success this team has and the spotlight it puts on the players that brought that success, players at skill positions that the Pats draft are greater risks to move in free agency the moment they hit it or approach it (Deion, Asante). While we have had success retaining plenty of our drafted players, I don't think they should draft thinking beyond the rookie contract, its too hard for them to plan that far ahead. So the fact that Cosby is 26 works is a plus for us, IMO.

Last edited:
Good point. For us though - I feel the fact that he is 26 works to our advantage, and specifically, the clear disadvantage of it doesn't really apply to us. The advantage obviously is the maturity you mention (I wish Chad Jackson had been 26 when we drafted him....). The downside would typically be the obvious - he's older and his NFL career will be 4-5 years shorter for it. However, to the Patriots even more than other teams, this can't really be a factor. Given the success this team has and the spotlight it puts on the players that brought that success, players at skill positions that the Pats draft are greater risks to move in free agency the moment they hit it or approach it (Deion, Asante). While we have had success retaining plenty of our drafted players, I don't think they should draft thinking beyond the rookie contract, its too hard for them to plan that far ahead. So the fact that Cosby is 26 works is a plus for us, IMO.

Yeah, I think you're right there. His rookie contract would be enough for us. He's a little guy, but my goodness, the guy has exceptional hands. Some of the endzone catches he's made this year were special.

AND he's a heck of a blocker... this was against Oklahoma earlier in the year... Seriously, you HAVE to see this...

YouTube - Quan Cosby's block on Lendy Holmes, Shipley's near TD catch

Played as well as coached. He'll have a nice career.

Anyone else watching the Championship Game?

Bradford and Gresham are hooking up very nicely - but Robinson is killing them.

Nic Harris had a very nice pick of Tebow as well.

Kraft and Belichick are at the game.

You know I'm watching it being the Oklahoma homer. Boomer sooner!

Plus one of my binkies got a pick ( nic Harris )

Tebow's coughed up another INT. Looks like it's going to cost them 7 as well.

Nice goaline stand.... Dangit

OU's offensive really dominating the line of scrimmage. If they would just go up
to the line and run the ball instead of standing around. They might have scored
on that drive. Could Loadholt or Robinsone be their with SD's 2nd rounder?

OU's offensive really dominating the line of scrimmage. If they would just go up
to the line and run the ball instead of standing around. They might have scored
on that drive. Could Loadholt or Robinsone be their with SD's 2nd rounder?

I seriously doubt either will still be there. Robinson will for sure be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore