PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BOB 'Completely Reworking' Pats Offense

I agree. Both Fields and Lawrence at least had/have OCs with experience and understood how to run an offense even if they do it poorly. Jones would have killed for that last year.

I am sorry, but just because the Patriots have Belichick doesn't change the fact that they had a historically badly coached offense with no sense of direction and no actual plan. I mean it was so bad that we had a game where both of the Patriots TEs were taken out of the game because they were injured running into their own teammates.
I'm aware of the whole "the martyrization of Mac Jones" agenda, I fully buy that you believe he was put in this impossible situation in 2022 and no QB in NFL history ever had to deal with such a horrific scenario. I just don't think it's true. You think Mac Jones would have been better off on the 2021 Jaguars or the 2021/22 Bears? Like, you really believe it? You think those teams would have won more games than the 2022 Patriots and he would've played better in them than he did last year? That's insanity to me.

let's be honest...YOU don't know what the eff you blabbing about. FYI, I was AT Patriots camp in the press area covering the Pats when Bishop came into camp in 1999. He got MORE than a fair shot but did NOT take advantage. As a 7th round draft choice sitting behind Drew Bledsoe just WTF kind of "opportunity" should he have had? You do this crap every day here...you make these asshead assertions without a shred of fact to back them up. Bishop played 5 seasons in the CFL...if at any point he showed NFL caliber ability some QB needy team would have signed him., but he was a career BACK-UP in the CFL before retiring.

I just don’t like people dumping on Michael Bishop or saying that we shouldn’t be looking for athletic strong armed QBs.
It’s like saying you shouldn’t look for a woman who is really fit cause one cheated on you one time. Or you shouldn’t get a Labrador cause when you were a kid you got bit by a lab.

I remember there was a lot of hype around Bishop.
I’m just saying how do we know the coaches related to him on a personal level?
Unless you were in every coaching session with the QBs nobody knows If the system the plays the explanations were relayed to him the right way.
Also everyone learns differently who knows.

Also I could be wrong.

No need to flip out.

I'm aware of the whole "the martyrization of Mac Jones" agenda, I fully buy that you believe he was put in this impossible situation in 2022 and no QB in NFL history ever had to deal with such a horrific scenario. I just don't think it's true. You think Mac Jones would have been better off on the 2021 Jaguars or the 2021/22 Bears? Like, you really believe it? You think those teams would have won more games than the 2022 Patriots and he would've played better in them than he did last year? That's insanity to me.

I absolutely think he would have been better off with the 2021 Jags or the Bears the last two years. Maybe not for wins and losses, but most certainly for an effective offense. Anything is better than Patricia's calling random plays to see what works, receivers running routes right next to each other so they both were easily taken out of the plays, offensive tackles who consistently looked like they purposely let defenders go by because they didn't give a crap, Patricia constantly calling 15-20 yard plays on first down to set up a lot of second and tens, Patricia not being able to get the play in on time that Belichick has to call time outs on what would have been TD plays, not allowing Jones call audibles or he or Andrews to call line adjustments so if there was a defender unblocked clearly rushing Jones that Jones would just have to deal with it by getting sacked or throwing away the ball too quickly or juist run around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Last year was one of the worst coached offenses in NFL history. Not an exaggeration. Patricia was the laughing stock of the league.

Again, I don't know if Mac Jones can be the franchise QB of this team, but I also know this was easily the worst offense coaching job by the Patriots since I starting watching them in the 1980s and may be one of the worst offensive coaching jobs in NFL history. I could have called a better offense than Patricia and I would think a head coach would be crazy to hire me even as a ball boy.

Last edited:
It isn't about the amount of time. It is what Belichick has done with that time.

He literally threw away a year of development of Jones and the offense because he thought a defensive coach could run an offense and special teams coach could develop a young QB.

The Patriots spent more money they ever did in history in free agency two years ago. Two of the biggest acquistions are already gone because of lack of production. Another one has been in the doghouse for a year and not getting playing time.

It was clear that the offense needs weapons and so far all he did was minor upgrades and still no legitimate #1 WR (unless Thornton makes a massive year two jump) in a league that shows that weapons are the key to making a non-elite QB look elite or close to it (see Tua and Hurts and Cousins).

If the Pats seemed to have a plan to grow this team into a contender, I would say Belichick has more time. But he really seems to be just hanging around to get the wins title. He seems to be done with his QB after sabotaging him and the offense last year. Odds are good they are not drafting one of the top QBs this year. So the plan seems to be use this year as another bridge year because Kraft won't let him get rid of Jones and get a new QB next year and start over after he proves Kraft wrong.
I totally agree that a lot more questions are rightfully raised about what's been going on . The Matty-Judge clown show has to be the biggest mistake of his entire career, and definitely makes one wonder how the hell that could happen. Overall, I think we are moving in a positive direction and he still gets my benefit of the doubt.

I just don’t like people dumping on Michael Bishop or saying that we shouldn’t be looking for athletic strong armed QBs.
It’s like saying you shouldn’t look for a woman who is really fit cause one cheated on you one time. Or you shouldn’t get a Labrador cause when you were a kid you got bit by a lab.

Unless you were in every coaching session with the QBs nobody knows If the system the plays the explanations were relayed to him the right way.

Also I could be wrong.

No need to flip out.
I'm not "flipping out"...I'm calling YOU out for posting absolute garbage, talking out of your azz about a player you know ZERO about except that he was African American, which by your repugnant libel leads you to make this ridiculous "because raciss!!"chargel. You are nothing but an ignorant troll and an insult to our Patriot fan community.

Also I could be wrong.

No need to flip out.
I’m shocked that you are old enough to remember Bishop. You post like a teen, or Justin Ramos.

Into what O'Brien NFL offense (sans Brady) would folks like O'Brien to transform the Patriots? The 2014 Houston offense which ranked 14th? The 2015 Houston offense which ranked 21st? The 2016 Houston offense which ranked 28th? The 2017 Houston offense which ranked 17th? The 2018 Houston offense which ranked 11th? The 2019 Houston offense which ranked 14th? Or the 2020 Houston offense which ranked 18th?
These are points per game rankings.
No doubt that O'Brien should be an improvement over the clown show Bill the Coach installed last year to run the offense. there's no way but up after the Belichick-sponsored offensive clown show. But if folks are expecting a return to a to 5 offense, even top 10, they should temper their expectations - given the jags on offense at every skill position.

Into what O'Brien NFL offense (sans Brady) would folks like O'Brien to transform the Patriots? The 2014 Houston offense which ranked 14th? The 2015 Houston offense which ranked 21st? The 2016 Houston offense which ranked 28th? The 2017 Houston offense which ranked 17th? The 2018 Houston offense which ranked 11th? The 2019 Houston offense which ranked 14th? Or the 2020 Houston offense which ranked 18th?
No doubt that O'Brien should be an improvement over the clown show Bill the Coach installed last year to run the offense. there's no way but up after the Belichick-sponsored offensive clown show. But if folks are expecting a return to a to 5 offense, even top 10, they should temper their expectations - given the jags on offense at every skill position.
I don't think anyone expects top 5 with the coaches or personnel. I would like to see at the very least, a return to the 2021 Pats offense. I expect this to be a defense-driven team, as it was last year. But if we need the defense to score more points than the offense again regularly, then Mayo better be ready to take over the team sooner rather than later.

Except O'Brien was the head coach of those teams. Tim Kelly was the OC for Houston in 2019 and 2020 (he was also the QBs coach in 2020). Although O'Brien didn't have an OC prior to that, he doled out a lot of the OC responsibilities to his staff. So we do not know how involved he was in the offense during his Houston days.

Jones would have developed better with coaching by the Jags.

Now list the starting QBs for all of those years.

Isnt this the problem? The Patriots starting qb resembles them more than the other guy
Are you really trying to compare Mac to Tom Savage, Ryan Mallett and Hoyer?

Are you really trying to compare Mac to Tom Savage, Ryan Mallett and Hoyer?
And Ryan Fitzpatrick. He closer to that class then he is the elite.

Also In minimum of 2 of those seasons he had Watson

Jones would have developed better with coaching by the Jags.
Jones would have developed better playing for Urban Meyer as a rookie? Because those are the situations we're comparing here.

And Ryan Fitzpatrick. He closer to that class then he is the elite.

Also In minimum of 2 of those seasons he had Watson
If you judged quarterbacks based upon their first two years alone, and assume that they have peaked before year 3, Brady would never have become elite. Mac’s rookie year was much better than any year in the careers of the guys whom I listed.

Watson thrived with Bob as his HC, so it seems silly for you to try to use Watson as evidence that Bob is not a top tier offensive coach.

If you judged quarterbacks based upon their first two years alone, and assume that they have peaked before year 3, Brady would never have become elite. Mac’s rookie year was much better than any year in the careers of the guys whom I listed.

Watson thrived with Bob as his HC, so it seems silly for you to try to use Watson as evidence that Bob is not a top tier offensive coach.
What year did Watson thrive under BOB?

What year did Watson thrive under BOB?

Why don't you go back and look at the ONE year where BOB was the OC with Watson as the QB... Or is that asking too much of you?
Or how about any of the years where Watson threw at least twice as many TDs as Interceptions and BOB was the HC..

I know.. asking you to do research is silly..

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back