PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BOB 'Completely Reworking' Pats Offense

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Source: Breer: Bill O'Brien is 'completely reworking' the Patriots offense

"I think it's going to be a hybrid of a lot of different things," Breer said. "I think it's going to have some stuff that they did at Alabama that Mac is going to be comfortable with, because Mac was at Alabama. ... (O'Brien) coached Deshaun Watson in Houston, he coached Bryce Young the last couple years at Alabama, so he's got a lot of different ideas.
"I think he's got really great perspective because he does have the bones of the Patriots offense, but he's gonna be able to do some things that I think are on the cutting edge of where the sport is going."
That should be music to the ears of Patriots fans who watched the offense stagnate under Patricia and Jones in 2022. But this also means that Jones will have to learn a new playbook for the third time in three seasons, which is a lot of change for a young QB.
The final product of O'Brien's offense should look a lot better, but how quickly Jones and his teammates pick it up will be a very interesting storyline this summer.

My first thoughts: how are the trolls here going to spin this into being a bad thing? The obvious one is they're making it too complicated, it's gonna fail. Who knows, in a few months maybe they'll be calling for the return of MP and his simple offense. We've seen it all here, right?

I don't think there is anyone in here clamoring for the Patriots to maintain the status quo from last year, so O'Brien's return is a welcome one.

Having said that, this is a results-based business. Fortunately for O'Brien, he has a fairly low bar to show improvement.

This whole "completely re-working the offense" schtick is just silly. It ignores numerous facts.

- The "PlayBook" starts off over 6" thick. BB created the 4-5" version before ever having gotten to the Patriots and the OCs have added to it over 20 some years.
- They always weed out plays based on the personnel they have. Always.
- They changed the terminology and reduced the number of plays last year to "make it simpler" while attempting and failing to add in the new Zone concepts from the Shanahan offense.

The big difference will be that the players will have CONFIDENCE in O'Brien and Klemm and, by extension, the play-book. I'm also going to hazard that there won't be conflicts between the players and coaches in terms of Implementing concepts that some players have used in the past.

This whole "completely re-working the offense" schtick is just silly. It ignores numerous facts.

- The "PlayBook" starts off over 6" thick. BB created the 4-5" version before ever having gotten to the Patriots and the OCs have added to it over 20 some years.
- They always weed out plays based on the personnel they have. Always.
- They changed the terminology and reduced the number of plays last year to "make it simpler" while attempting and failing to add in the new Zone concepts from the Shanahan offense.

The big difference will be that the players will have CONFIDENCE in O'Brien and Klemm and, by extension, the play-book. I'm also going to hazard that there won't be conflicts between the players and coaches in terms of Implementing concepts that some players have used in the past.

I agree. Players lost confidence in last year's approach early when it was clear MP and JJ couldn't answer questions like how to react to different defenses. These are professional athletes, they don't want to be guinea pigs, they need to have confidence in their coaches.

Breer doesn't have much insight, all he says is they're going to mash together bits and pieces from BOB's various career stops. Personally I think it's just going to be the good old Erhardt-Perkins playbook they've built on over the decades, but saying that doesn't generate clicks, so Breer starts up his song and dance routine.

Last edited:
I agree. Players lost confidence in last year's approach early when it was clear MP and JJ couldn't answer questions like how to react to different defenses. These are professional athletes, they don't want to be guinea pigs, they need to have confidence in their coaches.

Breer doesn't have much insight, all he says is they're going to mash together bits and pieces from BB's various career stops. Personally I think it's just going to be the good old Erhardt-Perkins playbook they've built on over the decades, but saying that doesn't generate clicks, so Breer starts up his song and dance routine.

EP is the terminology used for the play-book. And BB's book has tons of different play concepts in it.

As Dante mentioned during last year's controversy, there were already Outside Zone concepts that they used. The difference is how the Shanahan offense expands on them. Something that Patricia/Judge weren't able to communicate properly.

Something that has been overlooked for last year by some people is just how well Mac Jones did DESPITE other teams "knowing" what was coming. Now, Jones didn't have as many TDs and his Int % was about the same, but that doesn't take into consideration the 3 or 4 Ints that Parker and Agholor basically handed to the opposing team.

Not only do I expect Jones to rebound this year, but he should IMPROVE (provided he doesn't get injured) . Here is what I expect:
Comp % UP.
Int % down
TDs UP
Total Sacks down
Sack % down.
Yards/Attempt UP.

I'm glad BOB is with the team and I think he will help the offense a lot but this is waaaaay over the top...

"he's gonna be able to do some things that I think are on the cutting edge of where the sport is going."

Wait! The OC is actually going to devise the offense to fit the strengths and weaknesses of the QB rather than forcing the QB to play the offense the coaching staff can handle running? What a unique concept.

EP is the terminology used for the play-book. And BB's book has tons of different play concepts in it.
I found this article, I think it's good: The Erhardt-Perkins System - Baltimore Sports and Life which in turn quotes another article » Speak My Language

This article on Grantland from Chris Brown of Smart Football goes into more detail about how the Patriots of today utilize the E-P system.

“With the help of his assistants, Belichick’s primary innovation was to go from an Erhardt-Perkins offense to an Erhardt-Perkins system, built on its method of organizing and naming plays. The offense itself would be philosophically neutral. This is how, using the terminology and framework of what was once thought to be the league’s least progressive offensive system, Brady and Belichick built one of the most consistently dynamic and explosive offenses in NFL history. From conservative to spread to blistering no-huddle, the tactics — and players — have changed while the underlying approach has not.”

“The backbone of the Erhardt-Perkins system is that plays — pass plays in particular — are not organized by a route tree or by calling a single receiver’s route, but by what coaches refer to as “concepts.” Each play has a name, and that name conjures up an image for both the quarterback and the other players on offense. And, most importantly, the concept can be called from almost any formation or set. Who does what changes, but the theory and tactics driving the play do not. “In essence, you’re running the same play,” said Perkins. “You’re just giving them some window-dressing to make it look different.”

Sadly it seems a defensive minded rocket scientist couldn't master it.

Explains the reports why Mac has been in the building so much. Of course he wants to rebound but also wants to be on top of all the changes. I can appreciate that.
It's really a pivotal year for Mac. He was on a nice trajectory his first year, then the coaching chaos disrupted everything his second year. He really needs to get his career back on track, and not just the old track, but one that shows even more progress. It's a lot to ask for, but he's very smart and clearly is working hard. I hope he "makes the leap" this season. Next off-season, going to go into year 4, a lot of important decisions will need to be made. Clearly he's well aware of this and working to put himself into the best possible position.

I found this article, I think it's good: The Erhardt-Perkins System - Baltimore
It's really a pivotal year for Mac. He was on a nice trajectory his first year, then the coaching chaos disrupted everything his second year. He really needs to get his career back on track, and not just the old track, but one that shows even more progress. It's a lot to ask for, but he's very smart and clearly is working hard. I hope he "makes the leap" this season. Next off-season, going to go into year 4, a lot of important decisions will need to be made. Clearly he's well aware of this and working to put himself into the best possible position.
True, it will be interesting to see where he progresses before week 1 with Obrien and Klemm. The biggest question is what Obrien is gonna throw at him. Are we gonna see a lot more use of the te’s? Are they gonna go back to having a full back? We’ll see what happens. Pretty exciting actually.

It's very simple.. if Mac plays well typically it will be conducive to winning.. we all need to want him to excel as the team will be put in positions to win.. he has support now around him in BOB, I'm expecting a more balanced team this season. We will need to become a great red zone team again as that is usually what signals a good team. I absolutely agree with your post!

I don’t want to win in spite of Mac I want a QB who is the reason we can win.
To build around his strengths and avoid his limits and weaknesses.

good-satisfied.gif

I don’t want to win in spite of Mac I want a QB who is the reason we can win.
To build around his strengths and avoid his limits and weaknesses.
I think we can also say it's a pivotal year for BOB. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory in his last NFL stint. He needs to get the offense functioning at a high level for his NFL career to rebound. Thus I think he'll definitely make sure there is strong competition between Bailey and Mac, and may the best man win. Personally I think it will be an uphill battle for Bailey, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if he beats Mac out. As was posted above, we should have a decent read during training camp.

Let’s not forget he had full control in Houston for many years and had mediocre offenses. After he was fired, Watson had his best season as a pro.

Yet, when he returns to NE, he’s got all these tricks up his sleeve?

Curb Your Enthusiasm Ok GIF

I think we can also say it's a pivotal year for BOB. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory in his last NFL stint. He needs to get the offense functioning at a high level for his NFL career to rebound. Thus I think he'll definitely make sure there is strong competition between Bailey and Mac, and may the best man win. Personally I think it will be an uphill battle for Bailey, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if he beats Mac out. As was posted above, we should have a decent read during training camp.
I like what BOB did do with developing Watson. I love the competition for Mac, that will get the best put of each QB.. however I do think Mac will be the starting QB.. I want Mac to regain his ascension.

Wait! The OC is actually going to devise the offense to fit the strengths and weaknesses of the QB rather than forcing the QB to play the offense the coaching staff can handle running? What a unique concept.

Plus, I heard there might be blocking schemes and the WR/TEs will do more than “go out for a pass!”

Let’s not forget he had full control in Houston for many years and had mediocre offenses. After he was fired, Watson had his best season as a pro.

Yet, when he returns to NE, he’s got all these tricks up his sleeve?

Curb Your Enthusiasm Ok GIF
Yeah, let's not miss an opportunity to be pessimistic months before the season starts.

Success on offense
80% execution
20% scheme at best

Good players and a mediocre coach beat mediocre players and a good coach 100% of the time

Happy, O’Brien is here but he needs consistent playmakers

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3