SOURCE:WEEI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Redskins
Thu
Aug 9th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Pats Like Leaders
Malcolm Mitchell has been among quite a few players in recent years the Patriots have targeted who were leaders on their respective teams

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Bills offer Eagles a second for Nick Foles.

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ChrisR2223, Mar 6, 2018.

1. reamer

reamer Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +9,228
    Bills have two firsts and two seconds. Why not offer a 1st and 3rd and just be done with it? Foles is an enormous upgrade to Taylor. Overvaluing draft picks won't get them anywhere.

• Disagree Disagree x 1

2. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,777
    Again, the fact that he got injured by a D that knocked about half a dozen QBs out of games over the course of the season is simply a data point, not evidence of a trend.

3. Steve:Section 102

Steve:Section 102 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +781
    I'd do that deal if I am GM, both the Bills and Iggles side.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. TBR

TBR Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,624
    Waiting until mid-season/trade deadline to get rid of a QB definitely lost them leverage.

5. PatriotsNumero1Fan

PatriotsNumero1Fan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,757
    If foles goes on to have 10 great seasons than the super bowl loss will hurt a little less but the guy's a backup QB. Our defense made him look like a pro bowler. It was pathetic.

6. PatriotsNumero1Fan

Ratings:
    +3,757
    Wanna make a wager that the guy will go back to being a backup QB? We lost to a backup QB in the super bowl.

7. reamer

Ratings:
    +9,228
    You know he was already a pro bowler, right? He's a good quarterback who languished in a bad scheme for a while, but he's had really good seasons, and his playoff run was exceptional. Look what he did to Minnesota's stout defense, for example.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. reamer

Ratings:
    +9,228
    @pctronics0072 Okay, if you disagree, then what would you do to make the Bills competitive? They're not going anywhere without a quarterback. They can package their two 1st rounders and move up for one of the top draft picks (and hope he doesn't bust), or try to somehow clear enough cap space to be competitive in the Cousins sweepstakes, or just keep Taylor, etc. Or, perhaps you can offer an alternative?

9. PatriotsNumero1Fan

Ratings:
    +3,757
    So you think he will go on to have a solid career. We will see. I still think he's backup at best. He's more like a journeyman.

10. rexxar

rexxar Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,334
    Read the title as "Bill offers Eagles a second for Nick Foles."

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. PatriotsNumero1Fan

Ratings:
    +3,757
    The guy's a journeyman. It won't matter either way. He can tell his kids I went head to head with the GOAT QB and came out on top. That one moment will never be taken from him even if he goes on to crap the bed.

12. ChrisR2223

ChrisR2223 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6,528
    I almost typed that at first

13. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +17,000
    The Pats needed him to get through 4 games and he couldnt get through 2. This is fact. He repeatedly got himself into dangerous situations in 6 quarters of play and that one time he could not get out of it.

Do with that what you want but as we all know availability is at least as important as ability for the coaching staff here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ChrisR2223

ChrisR2223 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6,528
    Honestly so does Carson Wentz but there's not a head coach ours included who wouldn't oust their QB for that skill set to always make a play whether it's with his head arm or legs.

15. Steve:Section 102

Steve:Section 102 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +781
    Nope. He's a second or third tier NFL QB. He's never gonna be "elite". Never gonna be Rodgers, Brady, Big Ben, or Brees. He's probably not Matt Ryan, Rivers, Newton, Matthew Stafford or a healthy Andrew Luck. He's better than a whole bunch of guys holding down starting jobs currently. Better than Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton or Blake Bortles. If Jax had Foles, they would've beaten the Pats. Bills beat Jax if he plays for Buffalo. He's not great, but he's not a JAG, either. He's a very serviceable QB that would 100% make the Bills better.

16. pctronics0072

pctronics0072 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +309
    Foles makes the Bills better. I do not disagree with that. While Tyrod has shown as times the makings of a decent QB (not great), the ceiling of the Bills with him as QB, I think, is barely making playoffs.

My disagreement with your post is regarding "Why not offer a 1st and 3rd and just be done with it? Foles is an enormous upgrade to Taylor. Overvaluing draft picks won't get them anywhere."
    -I do not think any team can ever be competitive by undervaluing draft picks. Giving up a 1st and a 3rd for Nick Foles and his cap hit is a vast over-payment for essentially a couple year rental IMO.
    -If you draft a QB in the first you have the QB under contract for 5 years (assuming 1st round pick) for about 7-8 m year (based on Forbes reporting on Mitch Trubisky's contract in 2017).
    -Also, if a team trusts their coaching staff and scouting team, they also have the opportunity to mold the QB to fit their system better.
    -Finally, I do NOT think that the Bills are only a QB away from being competitive (defined as playoff contender and having a good (read: more than just plain luck) chance of winning a game or two in the playoffs). Furthermore, I think they can use the picks that they have to gather the extra pieces.

Overall, if Bills can get Foles for a 2nd rounder, I think that is a good trade for them and they should make that trade. That is good value. I disagree that a 1st an a 3rd rounder for the services of Foles is a good trade.

Desperation virtually never pays off.

17. Ivan

Ivan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +21,235
    Agree. Garrapolo getting hurt doesn’t mean he will be injured throughout his career, but he still has to show that he can hold up over a full season plus, and he will have to overcome a number of other hurdles as well to show he’s worth their investment. He’s a really good prospect, but he’s still a prospect and not a lock top 5 QB every season. Only time will tell if he becomes one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Snooky97

Snooky97 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Thank you for confirming my statement

19. PatriotsNumero1Fan

Ratings:
    +3,757
    Brad Johnson won a super bowl. He doesn't have his numbers but that might be his ceiling. Better than flaco? Flaco has a super bowl as well. He has had some good performances in the playoffs as well. He has regressed but that's a stretch.

20. PatriotsNumero1Fan

Ratings:
    +3,757
    He won't be a backup. He will start but let's see how he looks now that he has won a super bowl. He will go in the same direction as guys that have won a super bowl as one hit wonders.