PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill O'Brien Gone: new OC at Ohio State

No. Get that out your head. Brady,Bill aren't here! Think bigger. You WANT an explosive offense. Did you like seeing 4,4,4 last season except 3 and out?.. no need to keep running that prehistoric offense.. need an offense that can get 8,9 yards on first down.
We will agree to disagree. I am a big proponent of take what the defense gives and then things open up in other areas. 4/4/4=12 is ideal for chewing clock, but being able to score from anywhere is nice, too. I don't want to be Air Coryell and strictly reliant on that type of offense, and Mayo seemed to say they will remain a game plan team. To your point, it will be nice to be a little explosive from time to time.

Settle down.
4+4+4= first down. I don't need a fancy, flashy, finesse offense. Just a winning one.
If you want to win the regular season have an explosive offense. If you want to win the Super Bowl have a boring, ball control offense.

We will agree to disagree. I am a big proponent of take what the defense gives and then things open up in other areas. 4/4/4=12 is ideal for chewing clock, but being able to score from anywhere is nice, too. I don't want to be Air Coryell and strictly reliant on that type of offense, and Mayo seemed to say they will remain a game plan team. To your point, it will be nice to be a little explosive from time to time.
Oh definitely for sure. But please don't get my post wrong in essence I agree with you. I'm just saying the men that ran that offense like a well oil machine are no longer here to run it... but we need to get away from the long drives that go no where. We have a more than capable defense and will be better next season with guys back and upgrades. I just want to get with the times.. 7,8 yards on 1st.. a run for 1st down on 2nd down.. things like that.. making us multiple not a one trick pony.. well I'd actually take 1 trick we had none last year.

If you want to win the regular season have an explosive offense. If you want to win the Super Bowl have a boring, ball control offense.
You know what teams offense I'd like to mirror. The Ravens. They run it down your throat and they have an explosive passing attack all without Andrews.!

I think this is the right thing to do. Bob may have simply been a casualty of the others but he may have been part of the problem too and honestly been leaning towards the latter. 13.8 ppg while the 2020 patriots with cam scored 20 ppg. Youve gotta clean house on that side

Mayo proving he's not Bill by doing the complete opposite - not having an official OC.

(Just kidding, well aware of his 'titles are important comment')

As of today (1/19/23) the Patriots have brought in (or plan to bring in), coaches to interview for almost every position except Offensive Coordinator (or any offensive position coaches). The top candidates that have been identified (and have a legit potential to succeed), haven't even been mentioned as the team having any interest in them thus far. Do they not know that in this regard, if you snooze-you loose? Is anyone else as concerned about this as I am?

Please someone tell me I am delusional, is it possible that Troy Brown being OC at the senior bowl is an audition for our OC position?
If it makes you happy , yes you are delusional....

As of today (1/19/23) the Patriots have brought in (or plan to bring in), coaches to interview for almost every position except Offensive Coordinator (or any offensive position coaches). The top candidates that have been identified (and have a legit potential to succeed), haven't even been mentioned as the team having any interest in them thus far. Do they not know that in this regard, if you snooze-you loose? Is anyone else as concerned about this as I am?
Count me in... we need to move faster before the HC interviews are done and they chose their OCs . It's probably time to just interview Zac Robinson and two or more candidates to satisfy Rooney Rule ( Troy brown maybe ) and be done with the OC hiring .

If it makes you happy , yes you are delusional....
For the sake of the topic, if Troy Brown (who I absolutely loved as a player) becomes OC, that would be extremely horrible.

Count me in... we need to move faster before the HC interviews are done and they chose their OCs . It's probably time to just interview Zac Robinson and two or more candidates to satisfy Rooney Rule ( Troy brown maybe ) and be done with the OC hiring .
Just as long as Troy Brown, who I loved as player, doesn't become OC (which would be horrible, and I would prefer an upgrade at WR Coach too). I can live with Covington eventually becoming DC, if that's how it eventually shakes-out (although I believe that there are better choices for DC).

They didn’t have an opening at OC to schedule and do interviews to fill until last night. They either had to fire O’Brien or wait for him to move on before the search could begin. We’ll hear names over the weekend. In-person interviews (with coaches and personnel people still employed by a team) can also take place starting Monday.

Sure, we are drafting the qb of the future at #3, and he is likely a dual threat type. Why would you want the guy who developed Deshaun Watson in Houston and turned Bryce young into a heisman winner and #1 pick when you can get a guy who talks to 22 year olds the way they like to be talked to.
What could go wrong?
Lol

I would love the Welker hire, I’ve been calling for this I just love that style of offense, but it requires at least 2 elite WRs.
That style of offense played like crap and in 3 weeks
LOST the game that could determine #1 seed
LOST the game that would determine the AFCE champ and 2 seed
LOST in the the card round.

It averaged 13.3 ppg in those 3 games.

That style of offense played like crap and in 3 weeks
LOST the game that could determine #1 seed
LOST the game that would determine the AFCE champ and 2 seed
LOST in the the card round.

It averaged 13.3 ppg in those 3 games.
How’s the Niners offense looking because it’s similar concepts.
I think it’s more Tua fell off Miami had some injuries on the O line, Hill and Waddle were taking turns being banged up.

I understand they didn’t shown up for those games, did defenses figure out that style off offense?
Maybe a little but look at San Fran’s overall consistency,
I think Mayo is going to bring in a coach from San Fran or Miami.
Someone brought up the Ravens coaching staff, that is a good idea if we are targeting Fields or Daniels.

How’s the Niners offense looking because it’s similar concepts.
I think it’s more Tua fell off Miami had some injuries on the O line, Hill and Waddle were taking turns being banged up.

I understand they didn’t shown up for those games, did defenses figure out that style off offense?
Maybe a little but look at San Fran’s overall consistency,
I think Mayo is going to bring in a coach from San Fran or Miami.
Someone brought up the Ravens coaching staff, that is a good idea if we are targeting Fields or Daniels.
The 9ers are loaded with talent. Scheme isn’t why they are good. Shanahans history as a HC and OC is largely average.

BOB developed Watson and Young and we ditched him.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back