PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill never stopped treating Brady like he was 20

Time
Time healed the rift between BB and the Tuner
My belief is Tom is still upset Bill and Bob didn't make more of an effort to keep him but is not at the Bill/Tuna Bob/Tuna Shaq/Kobe level.

My belief is Tom is still upset Bill and Bob didn't make more of an effort to keep him but is not at the Bill/Tuna Bob/Tuna Shaq/Kobe level.
I am not sure that is the case. Brady is not some idiot who does not know the cap situations the team was in. He also wanted a 2 year deal and knew that was not going to happen, he also knew another rebuild was coming, and felt at his age, he didnt want to have to do that again. So he left to try to do what he could to go get another superbowl. There might have been some internal things that Brady was not happy with, but I think the overwelming factor was, Brady was ready to do a new challange somewhere else and knew his place in NE was coming to an end by the factors that were there.

I am not sure that is the case. Brady is not some idiot who does not know the cap situations the team was in. He also wanted a 2 year deal and knew that was not going to happen, he also knew another rebuild was coming, and felt at his age, he didnt want to have to do that again. So he left to try to do what he could to go get another superbowl. There might have been some internal things that Brady was not happy with, but I think the overwelming factor was, Brady was ready to do a new challange somewhere else and knew his place in NE was coming to an end by the factors that were there.
I don't necessarily disagree but in the end I do think Tom wanted to stay only under his conditions which included say in personnel, money, the offense, treated differently, etc. To your point I don't think some of those things were possible here.

I kinda liken it to being in a marriage longer than one should and needing a kick in the butt to make a serious life change.

I think Bill, Bob and Gisele were the three people who gave Tom that proverbial kick in the ass. Maybe Tom Sr, Galen and AG also told Tom what he needed to hear.

Tom expected everyone to believe that he's capable of playing great football until he's 45. I don't blame Bill for being skeptical.

Tom expected everyone to believe that he's capable of playing great football until he's 45. I don't blame Bill for being skeptical.
Yep.

Two highly-motivated, stubborn, accomplished, alpha-males who believed in their ways so deeply neither one was willing to go all-in on the other anymore.

Yep.

Two highly-motivated, stubborn, accomplished, alpha-males who believed in their ways so deeply neither one was willing to go all-in on the other anymore.

My issue is that Brady didn't seem to understand Bill's perspective. Belichick was skeptical because no one has played QB at an exceptional level in their early to mid-40s (until Brady did last year). It's like he's still acting like a 6th round pick with something to prove and gets upset at anyone for doubting him. It's nothing personal.

You don't blame Bill for misevaluating the production levels/age of the greatest player of all-time, when he had years to do so, and when this was one of the most publicized stories in football? Yet I'm sure you credit Bill when he's skeptical of another player's age and it works out. I'm sure you credit Bill for drafting Brady.

How is it possible, in your book, to blame Bill for something? Apparentlly making a decision, and being dead wrong, is something you don't blame him for, which is bizarre. Bill was wrong; Jason Licht and Bruce Arians, who weren't able to watch Brady play in practice, view his medical records, talk to their conditioning coaches for all these years, were right. Numerous other coaches, scouts and GMs who wanted Brady, were right.

The Patriots went from being a dynastic team with the greatest player of all-time to just another middling team hoping to hit on a bunch of free agents and draft picks to even sniff that level of play. But no - can't blame Bill for this. Nope. He was skeptical, so you can't blame him. He had Jarrett Stidham Cam Newton Mac Jones lined up anyway.

My issue is that Brady didn't seem to understand Bill's perspective. Belichick was skeptical because no one has played QB at an exceptional level in their early to mid-40s (until Brady did last year). It's like he's still acting like a 6th round pick with something to prove and gets upset at anyone for doubting him. It's nothing personal.
You're clueless as always. You don't think that Tom after spending 20 years with Bill didn't understand him? Tom was in his 40s, he didn't need any justification for doing whatever he wanted to do.

Despite your constant whining about "how dare he leave and not retire a Patriot," he proved you and any of the doubters dead wrong. Again.

You've been a miserable sniveling little punk constantly berating Tom because you can't control your emotions about a grown ass man deciding to do what was best for him and his family. Grow the fv&k up dude.

You don't blame Bill for misevaluating the production levels/age of the greatest player of all-time, when he had years to do so, and when this was one of the most publicized stories in football? Yet I'm sure you credit Bill when he's skeptical of another player's age and it works out. I'm sure you credit Bill for drafting Brady.

How is it possible, in your book, to blame Bill for something? Apparentlly making a decision, and being dead wrong, is something you don't blame him for, which is bizarre. Bill was wrong; Jason Licht and Bruce Arians, who weren't able to watch Brady play in practice, view his medical records, talk to their conditioning coaches for all these years, were right. Numerous other coaches, scouts and GMs who wanted Brady, were right.

The Patriots went from being a dynastic team with the greatest player of all-time to just another middling team hoping to hit on a bunch of free agents and draft picks to even sniff that level of play. But no - can't blame Bill for this. Nope. He was skeptical, so you can't blame him. He had Jarrett Stidham Cam Newton Mac Jones lined up anyway.

You're clueless as always. You don't think that Tom after spending 20 years with Bill didn't understand him? Tom was in his 40s, he didn't need any justification for doing whatever he wanted to do.

Despite your constant whining about "how dare he leave and not retire a Patriot," he proved you and any of the doubters dead wrong. Again.

You've been a miserable sniveling little punk constantly berating Tom because you can't control your emotions about a grown ass man deciding to do what was best for him and his family. Grow the fv&k up dude.

I wasn’t talking to you dimwits. It was directed at RW, who is a great patriots fan.

He understood Bill’s perspective that he lost his fastball. He thought Bill was wrong.

Verdict: Tom was right; Bill was wrong.

You have an “issue” with the guy who was correct and as you ball wash the guy who was incorrect.

That Belichick moved on despite having no Plan B makes me think it absolutely was personal.

I wasn’t talking to you dimwits. It was directed at RW, who is a great patriots fan.

Why aren’t you PM’ing him if you want the discussion to be private? Are you aware of what an online forum is? You seem confused…or maybe you just can’t handle that you just got nuked again.

I think TB12 understood BB's position but Tom either refused to acknowledge it and pleaded with Bob to overrule BB and/or felt his performance and loyalty to the team earned him the extension and other special considerations.

I don't think Tom was wrong to feel that way. It's a reasonable position to take.

Your issue is that you have catalogued every negative thing real are imagined(mostly imagined) that you and a tiny minority if others have hooked on to in order to diminish Tom Brady. Its irrational.

I think TB12 understood BB's position but Tom either refused to acknowledge it and pleaded with Bob to overrule BB and/or felt his performance and loyalty to the team earned him the extension and other special considerations.

I don't think Tom was wrong to feel that way. It's a reasonable position to take.
Here is the thing and I think a lot of people are not even considering this. Brady played here 19 years. How many players play with one team 19 years? If he was so against what Bill did, why would he stay here 19 years, taking less money? This notion that is going around that Brady wanted this and that, is based on nothing. Fact of the matter is, Brady stayed here 19 years, and Bill kept him here 19 years, something Bill has never come close to doing with any other player.

Yep.

and as it turned out, one of them was right.

Here is the thing and I think a lot of people are not even considering this. Brady played here 19 years. How many players play with one team 19 years? If he was so against what Bill did, why would he stay here 19 years, taking less money? This notion that is going around that Brady wanted this and that, is based on nothing. Fact of the matter is, Brady stayed here 19 years, and Bill kept him here 19 years, something Bill has never come close to doing with any other player.
I think Tom was getting fed up at the end.

Bill was getting fed up with Tom.

The fact that they were still winning and Tom performing at a high level made it workable.

The fact that they were still winning and Tom performing at a high level made it workable.
Seeing them interact in that NFL All Time 100 show, they looked comfortable with each other. Can't remember when that was, 2019?

Yeah that winning thing sucks after awhile. I mean depending on who you believe, Bill had no idea Brady wanted to leave.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back