PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Buckner passes away

Buckner's last home run with the Red Sox was an inside the park homer, bad wheels and all...

I figured it involved an outfielder dying. But no, just disappeared into the corn like Field of Dreams.

Gedman led the league in passed balls in 19
Gedman led the league in passed balls in 1986.
Correct. It is a somewhat misleading stat for catchers who play a lot of games and innings, as Gedman did that year, but no one wants that "honor", so to speak. He is, however in good company. Other catchers who've had the same distinction are Carlton Fisk, Yogi Berra, Jason Varitek, Thurman Munson, Mike Piazza, Ted Simmons and Johnny Bench. Confession: I had to look that up! LOL...

Last edited:
Buckner dropping the signed Mookie Wilson after Larry David tossed it out the window was one of the classic moments of TV comedy. So classy of Buckner to be willing/able to make self-deprecating light of the situation.
I sure hope he wouldn't have considered doing that before 2004.

Correct. It is a somewhat misleading stat for catchers who play a lot of games and innings, as German did that year, but no one wants that "honor", so to speak. He is, however in good company. Other catchers who've had the same distinction are Carlton Fisk, Yogi Berra, Jason Varitek, Thurman Munson, Mike Piazza, Ted Simmons and Johnny Bench. Confession: I had to look that up! LOL...

Really? I did not know that. Yeah, as long as Gedman expected the pitch that Stanley threw him,
then he should've caught it.
Yep he had 14. I don't want to be too hard on Geddy. He was a decent defensive catcher. He was also victim of 40 wild pitches the same year.

I agree though. Clearly Blob Stanley crossed him up but it was a very catchable pitch.

Rich Gedman Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

>>but gave up on the Sawx when Pedro left

Pedro was on the team that broke the curse in 04

Soooooo yeah, I sort of quit on the Sawx okay?

Ask anyone this question: "Did you know the game was tied when the ball went through Buckner's legs?"

or:

"So let's pretend he makes the play and not the error - is there a guarantee the Sox still would have won that game?"

Usually the answer is "no" and "no". But the knowledge of the fact the game was tied is usually the biggest shocker. Most people think he allowed the tying and winning run due to that play when in fact it was the wild pitch that knotted the score. Literally 99% of most people don't know that, yet the poor guy faced ridicule for life over it...it's ridiculous.

I was young and was listening to the game on the radio under the covers because my parents wouldn't let me stay up and I was pissed at Stanley the next day for throwing a wild pitch and costing them the lead. I was confused by the fact everyone blamed Buckner, when that play was really just icing on the cake for a lousy inning where they blew a great chance to win and made it seem like the wild pitch wasn't a big deal...that boggled my 12-year old mind. That would have been like everyone being mad at Wakefield for giving up the home run when leaving in Pedro was the key mistake all those years later...it made zero sense to me.

I never understood why he needed to be forgiven for anything to begin with and he took a lot of unnecessary heat for no good reason. As a result, his family took the brunt of the fact no one seemed to know that he wasn't even the one who lost them the lead, yet he's associated with what everyone believes is one of the worst plays in sports history. If he had allowed two runs to score to cost them the lead and then the game, then it would have made sense - but he didn't. It's just too bad no one ever really cleared that up and it's obviously too late now :(

Mac obviously should not have had Buckner on the field for the bottom of the 10th - he also should've pinch-hit for Schiralid during the top of the 10th and allowed Stanley to start the bottom of the 10th with a clean slate - but Buckner should've known better than to hobble to 1st base himself with only a 2-run lead. He should've told Mac: Hey coach, I really appreciate your wanting me to take the field this time so I can celebrate with my teammates, whereas you have always subbed Stapleton for me throughout the season & POs...But this is too damn important and the game is still too damn close to allow insipid sentimentality on your part - and blatant selfishness on my part - to interfere with the task at hand. Thanks, but no thanks; I'm staying right here.

Last edited:

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back