PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick "Under no circumstance would I underestimate Peyton Manning."

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may not have the same physical ability he once had, but his mind is still sharp enough that he can put them into positions to be successful. Third and longs are the ones we HAVE to convert defensively on, because those are the best chances we have to take advantage of his physical limitations.

60% of a Peyton* in his prime, is better than most QB's in the game right now.. he may not have the same arm strength as he used to have.. but he knows the game, clock management and a whole bunch of tricks..

Do not underestimate Peyton*..
No its not. 17 Ints. 1 TD pass in 6 home games.
Its worse than just about every QB NFL teams trot out there.

He may not have the same physical ability he once had, but his mind is still sharp enough that he can put them into positions to be successful. Third and longs are the ones we HAVE to convert defensively on, because those are the best chances we have to take advantage of his physical limitations.
He is Mr. One and Done WITH his physical skills. Those intangible 'skills' have actually been his burden over the years.

It would be foolish to under-estimate Manning when it comes to his mind and throwing short and intermediate passes. I would not worry so much for when Manning is asked to throw deep.

To me, it's not so much the distance (short/intermediate/long), so much as the places on the field where he can actually complete a pass. Seams are out. Posts are out. Deep comebacks are out. Basically, he's able to complete short over the middle, or short/intermediate outside the numbers, or bubble screens. Make him throw a deep comeback. Make him throw a seam route and try not to get his receiver killed.

He is Mr. One and Done WITH his physical skills. Those intangible 'skills' have actually been his burden over the years.

I'm not saying we can't handle him even at his best, because obviously we have in the past. I'm only saying that he's not entirely incapable of running the offense like some people seem to think. And that we have an even better chance to be successful due to his physical limitations.

I'm not saying we can't handle him even at his best, because obviously we have in the past. I'm only saying that he's not entirely incapable of running the offense like some people seem to think. And that we have an even better chance to do so due to his physical limitations.
I'm saying he is a terrible QB at this point. Terrible QBs can still put points on the board, but aren't something to be afraid to underestimate.

Ancient history and irrelevant, but "4th and 2" was lauded as the highest compliment ever bestowed on a QB, both based on the situation and who was doing the complimenting.

Dumbest move Belichick ever made.

BB; "Under no circumstance would l ever, ever (Say I ) underestimate Peyton Manning" JK. ...... He is still capable of beating us, but I think Oswieler is a threat as well. But I think the Pats are prepared. We'll see. .

It was the right call, but the spot was bad.

The Pats passed the ball on 3rd and 2 and then used their last TO before passing again on 4th and 2. That left them with no TO to challenge the spot and kept the clock from going below the 2 minute mark, which would have resulted in an automatic review. That made the call multi-dumbentional.

The Pats passed the ball on 3rd and 2 and then used their last TO before passing again on 4th and 2. That left them with no TO to challenge the spot and kept the clock from going below the 2 minute mark, which would have resulted in an automatic review. That made the call multi-dumbentional.
You can't fault them for taking a time out to get the play right. That is Madden mentality at its best.
They converted the play. A poor call by a referee does not make a decision bad.

I'm saying he is a terrible QB at this point. Terrible QBs can still put points on the board, but aren't something to be afraid to underestimate.

But what benefit do you get by underestimating anyone or anything? You may as well prepare for him to be at his best, and if he isn't (as will most likely be the case, unless he's been using HGH all week) then you can only play better against him.

Bottom line is I think we agree. I just feel like theres no reason to not prepare for him like he's the Manning of old so that when he isn't you can only benefit from it.

But what benefit do you get by underestimating anyone or anything? You may as well prepare for him to be at his best, and if he isn't (as will most likely be the case, unless he's been using HGH all week) then you can only play better against him.
There is no benefit in underestimating, nor is their in overestimating.
You treat him like what he is and that's a crappy QB. If you overestimate him you put too much attention on him and for example, ignore the running game.
If you pretend he is 2013 Manning, and like when we beat him in Foxboro you dare him to run, you are giving a team that can't throw the ball and advantage in running it.

There is no benefit in underestimating, nor is their in overestimating.
You treat him like what he is and that's a crappy QB. If you overestimate him you put too much attention on him and for example, ignore the running game.
If you pretend he is 2013 Manning, and like when we beat him in Foxboro you dare him to run, you are giving a team that can't throw the ball and advantage in running it.

That's kind of my point though. Treat him how he is, which isn't a great QB anymore. But also don't act like he's not there (that's what underestimating would be)... Prepare for everything. And it IS Bill we're talking about. So he will do just that. We're arguing the same point, just from different angles. I probably shouldn't have said to prepare for him like he's the "manning of old" I may have got carried away there.

So when I say prepare for him at his best, I don't mean 2013 Manning. Everyone knows he can't be THAT anymore. But I mean to prepare for him to be as good as he possibly can be NOW. And I'm sure that regardless of what BB says in his presser, he realizes the same thing. He's not going to be disrespectful to any opponent in a press conference.

Last edited:
To me, it's not so much the distance (short/intermediate/long), so much as the places on the field where he can actually complete a pass. Seams are out. Posts are out. Deep comebacks are out. Basically, he's able to complete short over the middle, or short/intermediate outside the numbers, or bubble screens. Make him throw a deep comeback. Make him throw a seam route and try not to get his receiver killed.

Agreed, but he also has a couple guys who can go up and get balls, which covers up for some of the wobbly ducks that would otherwise be incompl or int.

Lets hope our dbs have better hands than squeelers Gay. He holds onto either of those ints and it was game over for payme.

At the end of the day I think we can be certain of this at least: If the Broncos win the game it won't be because of Peyton. He wouldn't even be in the top 5 reasons for why they won the game. But we can be sure the media would put him #1.

Agreed, but he also has a couple guys who can go up and get balls, which covers up for some of the wobbly ducks that would otherwise be incompl or int.

Lets hope our dbs have better hands than squeelers Gay. He holds onto either of those ints and it was game over for payme.
sanders broke one up...looked like a dropped int, but it was clearly a break up

I agree with this, but then again, these are going to be on the sidelines, and he has to manage to keep it in bounds and all that. Can he throw it 20 yards? Probably. Can he throw it 20 yards straight? I don't know. Can he throw it 20 yards with some modicum of accuracy? I don't think so.

This too. Can't let those opportunities get away. That dropped pick cost the Steelers the game as much as the Touissant fumble did.

seems like everyone is writing manning off. he hasn't had a good game all season. who says he can't have one last great performance?? its not impossible..

im very worried about this game. especially if the donkeys are able to run the ball successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes